Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future
Default Re: Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Cheers BT. Is the west link finished being re-designed yet, was back there a couple of years ago and it was chaos.. should be by now LOL

Yes,
it was finished approx 2 years ago and has made the daily trudge through Belfast a helluva lot easier.
They are working on a large new section of dual carriageway around Newry this past couple of years and when its finished next Winter it will be motorway or DC the whole road between Dublin and Belfast.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:41 pm
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by taff trucker
why don't you enlighten us all as to what you have been doing for the last 20 years , besides taking teddy bears into the woods for picnic's!
Taff, you've got to have a bit of trust in people sometimes! I can vouch for BT on this one; trust me, he definitely ain't taking teddy bears into the woods!!

Reading between the lines of your reply to peterlee_flyer, if your not prepared to "swan off" for any length of time, your either a desk pilot or RDC trunk driver?
. . . and that's so far off the truth it's funny!!

I totally agree with P_F if you have no intention of coming to Canada why the hell are you on here???
BT and I have had many discussions ref the 'Canada Plan'. I'm assuming you did enough research to be satisfied that it was going to work for you over there. Maybe you were lucky that you found a company/routine that suited you so quickly, however, you can't be giving a hard time to people who (irrespective of how long it takes) are yet to find the right combination.

I have spent more than three years researching a move to Canada. For the first couple of years of that I was kinda tied-up in a work contract but as we were ready to make the move, the arse fell out of the (worldwide) economy! There was only one company that we found that really suited us and would give us a combination of decent location, work, time away from home, money and an acceptable family lifestyle. (BT also saw the good in this company and has said as much in different threads/forums). Unfortunately, said company still isn't taking on and so far, I/we haven't found any other that would suit.

As for my situation, we have kinda run out of time, as in, my oldest daughter is now into the 'important' years of her schooling and a move of such magnitude (we feel) would be too disruptive. It doesn't mean that we stop 'looking' though.

Throughout all of our research the most important/valuable aspect of information is its honesty/accuracy. If something is crap (town/company etc) we want to know - we want the truth, good or bad. Rose tinted info is of no value and is, in actual fact, counter-productive to useful research.

I'm really glad for Davie that he has got on with a 'decent' company. I'd be well pissed-off if he'd told us that Bulk were great and paid well when in fact it's not the case. My family could not survive on $1700 per month, no way!!!

Mickfly has told the truth and yet has been slated for it by some. Still he tells people that they might do well over there (or more to the point, with 'that' company) but his own experience wasn't a good one.

One of the best (at the time) blogs that made the job/company look good kinda lost face when the author got in the office quick as poss and off the road!! The 'mess' that followed was almost irrelevant as by then, it all seemed a bit strange that if life OTR was so good why was life in an office so attractive?

In summary, the key point here is; well done for those who have made the move, have fell on their feet and are happy but give a break to those who are still looking for the right opportunity and stop slating them for doing the right thing by their family, however long it takes.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Aye what he said (marcustandy)
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand your point of view Martin, but you should bear in mind that the really good canadian transport companies do not need to bring in foreign workers. They are happy to wait for companies such as H&R, Big Freight, Seafood Express et al to import drivers so that they can just poach them when they need them - just as Midland do in the Maritimes. If you are waiting for a job that ticks everyone of your boxes, you could be waiting a VERY long time, especially in the current economic climate. We felt it was better to accept the fact that we would have a couple of very, very tough years before we could start to build a new life for us all. Neither myself nor my wife consider this to be selfish, it's just the quickest way to acheive our goal.

And I don't think BT has any intention of ever making the move. I noticed on BTA that he has just kicked off a new business venture, which seems like a long term thing. Who would do this if their long term plans revolved around emigration? He prefers to hang around here, looking to pick holes in other peoples lives, as a way of justifying his own decision not to go. He makes no valuable contribution to this forum, and deters people from making contributions, as they feel they have to justify and defend the things they say to him.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by peterlee_flyer

And I don't think BT has any intention of ever making the move. I noticed on BTA that he has just kicked off a new business venture, which seems like a long term thing. Who would do this if their long term plans revolved around emigration? He prefers to hang around here, looking to pick holes in other peoples lives, as a way of justifying his own decision not to go. He makes no valuable contribution to this forum, and deters people from making contributions, as they feel they have to justify and defend the things they say to him.
First of all to Martin,
first class post,you really have a great "knack" of putting well written info in your posts.
You sure you weren't an English teacher in a past life?

To PLF,
you're WRONG,please show me a recent post were I picked a hole in some persons life in Canada?
The new business venture is exactly that a VENTURE and is a real "shot in the dark" if it will work out or not.
The website only cost 100 quid to design and host for a year!!

Canada is still showing on my radar(Its the wife who's not so sure)
but as the great Delboy always said:
"He who dares Rodney,he who dares"!!!!!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcustandy
Taff, you've got to have a bit of trust in people sometimes! I can vouch for BT on this one; trust me, he definitely ain't taking teddy bears into the woods!!

. . . and that's so far off the truth it's funny!!

BT and I have had many discussions ref the 'Canada Plan'. I'm assuming you did enough research to be satisfied that it was going to work for you over there. Maybe you were lucky that you found a company/routine that suited you so quickly, however, you can't be giving a hard time to people who (irrespective of how long it takes) are yet to find the right combination.

I have spent more than three years researching a move to Canada. For the first couple of years of that I was kinda tied-up in a work contract but as we were ready to make the move, the arse fell out of the (worldwide) economy! There was only one company that we found that really suited us and would give us a combination of decent location, work, time away from home, money and an acceptable family lifestyle. (BT also saw the good in this company and has said as much in different threads/forums). Unfortunately, said company still isn't taking on and so far, I/we haven't found any other that would suit.
As for my situation, we have kinda run out of time, as in, my oldest daughter is now into the 'important' years of her schooling and a move of such magnitude (we feel) would be too disruptive. It doesn't mean that we stop 'looking' though.

Throughout all of our research the most important/valuable aspect of information is its honesty/accuracy. If something is crap (town/company etc) we want to know - we want the truth, good or bad. Rose tinted info is of no value and is, in actual fact, counter-productive to useful research.

I'm really glad for Davie that he has got on with a 'decent' company. I'd be well pissed-off if he'd told us that Bulk were great and paid well when in fact it's not the case. My family could not survive on $1700 per month, no way!!!

Mickfly has told the truth and yet has been slated for it by some. Still he tells people that they might do well over there (or more to the point, with 'that' company) but his own experience wasn't a good one.

One of the best (at the time) blogs that made the job/company look good kinda lost face when the author got in the office quick as poss and off the road!! The 'mess' that followed was almost irrelevant as by then, it all seemed a bit strange that if life OTR was so good why was life in an office so attractive?

In summary, the key point here is; well done for those who have made the move, have fell on their feet and are happy but give a break to those who are still looking for the right opportunity and stop slating them for doing the right thing by their family, however long it takes.
Yes the arse fell out , as it did in the UK as well. I never could make head nor tail of the logic in that decission Martin. 3 years looking at coming to Canada then going back to the dump you wanted to escape from in the first place, with all its uncertanties, cheap Polish workers etc. I think the risk factor of for you migrating back to the UK much higher than coming to Canada.
Ive just come of the phone talking to a Britt driver 1 year long haul got his PR. now in the office as Saftey guy. A means to an end, and he has not half the qualies you have.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:05 pm

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

And I don't think BT has any intention of ever making the move.
We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I do think I have the advantage though - I know Andy (BT)!

Anyway . . . . . . .

I understand your point of view Martin, but you should bear in mind that the really good canadian transport companies do not need to bring in foreign workers. They are happy to wait for companies such as H&R, Big Freight, Seafood Express et al to import drivers so that they can just poach them when they need them - just as Midland do in the Maritimes. If you are waiting for a job that ticks everyone of your boxes, you could be waiting a VERY long time, especially in the current economic climate. We felt it was better to accept the fact that we would have a couple of very, very tough years before we could start to build a new life for us all. Neither myself nor my wife consider this to be selfish, it's just the quickest way to acheive our goal.
I understand what you're saying. Maybe, after all of our research, we (as a family) just don't have the required appetite for risk that is required to make the move. I'm not too stubborn/embarrassed/whatever to say that but equally, if we got there and my oldest (or any of the kids) suffered in any way, it would be a heavy burden to bear. Understand that I kind of still 'pine' for that job/lifestyle/move and keep up to speed with all the blogs/diaries that were a vital part of our research but it would be hard, really hard, to get through those very, very tough years that you mentioned.

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Yes the arse fell out , as it did in the UK as well. I never could make head nor tail of the logic in that decission Martin. 3 years looking at coming to Canada then going back to the dump you wanted to escape from in the first place, with all its uncertanties, cheap Polish workers etc.
Well, there was certainly an element of 'better the devil you know' in our DP (decision process). The other thing is that, maybe not 100% ideal, but I do have some firm options/offers in UK. If I could've got at least that much commitment from a Canadian employer, then we'd have landed by now! I didn't think it was that much to ask, bearing in mind that magnitude of the move we'd be making.

I think the risk factor of for you migrating back to the UK much higher than coming to Canada.
Like I mentioned above, although not 100% ideal, I have at least got a few offers from UK - more than I ever managed to get from Canada. There were some wishy-washy offers but nothing concrete; nothing firm enough to gamble my family with.

Ive just come of the phone talking to a Britt driver 1 year long haul got his PR. now in the office as Saftey guy. A means to an end, and he has not half the qualies you have.
I'll take that as a compliment (whether you meant is as such or not! LOL). In which case, 'giz-a-job' and we'll book the flights!!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcustandy
We're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I do think I have the advantage though - I know Andy (BT)!

Anyway . . . . . . .

I understand what you're saying. Maybe, after all of our research, we (as a family) just don't have the required appetite for risk that is required to make the move. I'm not too stubborn/embarrassed/whatever to say that but equally, if we got there and my oldest (or any of the kids) suffered in any way, it would be a heavy burden to bear. Understand that I kind of still 'pine' for that job/lifestyle/move and keep up to speed with all the blogs/diaries that were a vital part of our research but it would be hard, really hard, to get through those very, very tough years that you mentioned.

Well, there was certainly an element of 'better the devil you know' in our DP (decision process). The other thing is that, maybe not 100% ideal, but I do have some firm options/offers in UK. If I could've got at least that much commitment from a Canadian employer, then we'd have landed by now! I didn't think it was that much to ask, bearing in mind that magnitude of the move we'd be making.

Like I mentioned above, although not 100% ideal, I have at least got a few offers from UK - more than I ever managed to get from Canada. There were some wishy-washy offers but nothing concrete; nothing firm enough to gamble my family with.

I'll take that as a compliment (whether you meant is as such or not! LOL). In which case, 'giz-a-job' and we'll book the flights!!
The last wasnt a compliment per sey, just a point of fact. So i guess you only take risks on the virtual poker tables on FB
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Thats it Marcus
We are all qualified in a wide variety of stuff with bags of experience and are applying for jobs that will quickly become numb skullingly boring as we have no real challenge and will find that we become bored very quickly unless we find some sort of mental stimulation!
Its something we need to consider, I wouldnt give in though, you just need to find something that is going to be enough of a challenge!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

[QUOTE=DAVIE_MAC;8111498]MY experience:

Bulk monthly pay = $1700 (in a good month)

Midland Bi-weekly pay = $1600 (projected approx depending on where you run to)

Midland sounds a really good place to work, but i earn more than that working at Ayr Motor. and we cover all 48 states aswell as Canada. the down side of Ayr is when you have your own truck, they would be happy for you not to have time off, and when you dont have your own truck and have to slip seat, it makes it hard to get in a truck. if you dont mind teaming like me you are well away as you get a truck straight away more or less. just another company for you to consider if Midland does not work out. Just to put the thread back on track
Old Dec 9th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=cargomatic;8158000]
MY experience:

Bulk monthly pay = $1700 (in a good month)

Midland Bi-weekly pay = $1600 (projected approx depending on where you run to)

Midland sounds a really good place to work, but i earn more than that working at Ayr Motor. and we cover all 48 states aswell as Canada. the down side of Ayr is when you have your own truck, they would be happy for you not to have time off, and when you dont have your own truck and have to slip seat, it makes it hard to get in a truck. if you dont mind teaming like me you are well away as you get a truck straight away more or less. just another company for you to consider if Midland does not work out. Just to put the thread back on track
I just wonder how you intend to survive on Ca. $3200 a month coz the Atlantic provinces are not that much cheaper than MB and our guys are getting between $4500 & $ 5500 a month. mind you they do have an awsome dispatcher
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:35 am

[QUOTE=Gremmie;8160051]
Originally Posted by cargomatic
mind you they do have an awsome dispatcher
Allegedly.

Mind you, we're yet to see any kind of concrete proof . . . . . . . .
Old Dec 10th 2009, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=marcustandy;8161040]

Allegedly.

Mind you, we're yet to see any kind of concrete proof . . . . . . . .
Well we havent gone bankrupt "yet" and no drivers have left because of me.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Gremmie;8160051]
Originally Posted by cargomatic

I just wonder how you intend to survive on Ca. $3200 a month coz the Atlantic provinces are not that much cheaper than MB and our guys are getting between $4500 & $ 5500 a month. mind you they do have an awsome dispatcher
Oh it's a hard life, just to let you know on average we get a bi weekly pay from the quoted $1700 to $1900 +. A lot depends how much time off you take of course. If you take 36 off you can earn very good money but if you take the standard 3 1/2 days off you earn the average wage which they say you should earn. I have cracked over the $60k mark already and have had plenty of time off to hoot. The Maratimes is a by all accounts a low level of pay area especially in PEI or so i'm told, true as well if you ask me considering the amount you pay out in taxes.
Have to say life isn't hard and the job is a doddle too, everyone at Midland is very good, all figures are take home after tax, someone always asks that one.
We too have awesome despatchers some lovely ladies and gents if you like that sort of thing.
Makes me wonder thou why some guys can go to a company and get on very well yet others don't get a chance. I was willing to work hard at SFE but didn't get me anymore work yet other guys were getting enough but still not enough to live on.I was lucky and saw the signs and got out, I know other guys that had the same experience as me from East to West so i certainly wouldn't say it was just this part of the country.
Anyhow i'm good and settled now and have a great place to live and work and should be a better future for us if things keep on an even keel with the economy.

LOAFY...
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

wendywoo4u is an unknown quantity at this point

And as from today so do I.....

Now theres a surprise eh!!

Started orientation this week and will be on the road by the week end.

As far as the team driving goes haven spoken to the others they have never made a better decision...doubling the wages they were getting elsewhere.

You know when your going out, coming back, where your going... which suites me to a T....

If being highly proffesional not bending logbook rules is being over the top this also suites me and running team you should never be out of hours anyway.
Hi can you tell me if you had to re-take your ADR in NS for this job? Or are you not driving hazardous goods for them?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.