Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future
Default Re: Midland Transport, NS - Any Info?

Originally Posted by peterlee_flyer
Don't choose Midland if you want to travel the USA and Canada. 99% of the work is "running the triangle", from the NS, NB, or PEI to New York area, then to Toronto, then home again. This usually takes around 5 days, followed by 2 days off. Having talked to some drivers, I get the impression team is even worse - fixed runs, straight there and straight back, non-stop (and I mean non-stop - you sleep while the other guy drives). That's good if you want regular, predictable time at home. Pay is OK, and they pay all the little extras, like lay-overs, detention pay and breakdown pay.

However, I have also heard of conflict between the safety dept and the despatchers. They are said to be red-hot on hours compliance, yet under pressure to comlete runs that can't be done legally. If you bend the rules, you get a kicking from one side, if you don't get the job done, you get it from the other side.
Plenty of positive bloggers working for Midland, but they are European lads, so you have to translate when you find them.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

taff trucker is an unknown quantity at this point

That would really make your day, wouldn't it?

Why do you even care? Are you still pretending you'll ever have the courage to make the leap yourself?
Ian, don't bite mate its not worth it, there are two types of people in the world,
1. Those who talk about it
2. Those who do something about it

We have done something about it so are in a far better position to know the truth.

By the way BT, Bulk just got some Welsh "meat in the seat" as I passed the road test today. Not bad for a lad from a small Welsh village who 4 months ago set out to provide a better future for his family, and within two and a half weeks since arriving has got his license. Remember you will only reap what you sow.

Ian how was the holiday buddy hope you did not get too sunburnt don't forget my duty frees on the way back

See you soon
Steve.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hello fellow Truckers,
Well it's like this, there are three trucking companies in the maritimes worth driving for but i drive for the best MIDLAND, this is my opinion and it's true of course.
Ok i drive team with me mate on the Michelin run and also every now and again on the so called triangle which is nothing like a triangle more of a swirly squiggly line. You could actually go anywhere with Midland but they don't and won't send you as they don't want there trucks sitting for reloads say out of Alberta or even over the western side of the USA, its' not there ground you might say.
They are above all very profesional and more than competent at what they do, so if you are a driver who thinks that their way is best then i suggest you go somewhere else, they have a system and it works for them and company drivers and owner operators of which they have a lot and they would tell you they are the best too.
I have worked for them now for 18 months and have to say that i have no complaints about them. I get a quality uniform for all weathers which is subsidized by them, they offer a good benefit plan and a great pension plan too which they contribute too. All their equipment is of good order and well maintained although they dont fit all their trucks with night heaters or tri packs which run your power for inverters and AC system so they do idle for some time in the hot and cold months, not good for the enviroment.
The pay is of the best around and they pay for waiting time and all bank holidays US or Canadian and have a safety bonus system and also if you hit 6k before sat midnight any miles after that is paid at time and a half. Breakdowns are paid for from the minute you call in and routine maintanace too.
Last year i cleared 55k and that was a slow year with lots of time off, i have not stopped working apart from scheduled time off. It's been a good year so far. (can't wait for my tax return )
I do a six to seven day trip away to the North and South carolinas and then you can take the standard three and half days off thou you can take less if you want and they don't mind if you take more. Two weeks paid holidays as per norm here.
We didn't get a rate increase on our miles this year but they paid me a one off payment of 600$ instead which is great as they could of just said we can't increase the mile rate due to the economy so fairs fair no complaints there.
I get my pre plan for the job i have to do i accept it go there drop reload and never here from them in between unless they need to speak to you. All communication is done by qualcom and it's very rare they will ask you to ring them, you organise when your truck is due for service and anything else, it is almost like being an O/O but you don't get the bill at the end.
I would recommend them to anybody who wants to work and work you will if you want it, they have plenty of work to go and being part of the Irving Group has a lot behind them. Most of the companies that Midland pull for are owned by the Irving group but they do have some big outside contracts too and are always looking to increase their load. Everybody is friendly helpful and if they cant' help they will put you in the right direction of someone who can.
Not sure what else their is to tell apart from they are very good to work for.

All the best...

LOAFY...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taff trucker
Ian, don't bite mate its not worth it, there are two types of people in the world,
1. Those who talk about it
2. Those who do something about it

We have done something about it so are in a far better position to know the truth.

By the way BT, Bulk just got some Welsh "meat in the seat" as I passed the road test today. Not bad for a lad from a small Welsh village who 4 months ago set out to provide a better future for his family, and within two and a half weeks since arriving has got his license. Remember you will only reap what you sow.

Ian how was the holiday buddy hope you did not get too sunburnt don't forget my duty frees on the way back

See you soon
Steve.

Its like de ja vu
Old Nov 19th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

That would really make your day, wouldn't it?

Why do you even care? Are you still pretending you'll ever have the courage to make the leap yourself?
You don't even know me!!!!

Compared to what I have been working at for the last twenty years moving to Canada would be "wee buns,a teddy bears picnic or a walk in the park" take your pick!!!!

I an NOT the only one who has said this but I'm not willing to bring my wife and two young boys over to CANADA to live in a frozen wasteland from Nov to April every year while I swan off for 5/7/10/14 or even 22 days at a time driving my big old rig for CPM!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big Truck

Compared to what I have been working at for the last twenty years moving to Canada would be "wee buns,a teddy bears picnic or a walk in the park" take your pick!!!!

I an NOT the only one who has said this but I'm not willing to bring my wife and two young boys over to CANADA to live in a frozen wasteland from Nov to April every year while I swan off for 5/7/10/14 or even 22 days at a time driving my big old rig for CPM!!!!
If that's the case, then why do you haunt these forums, looking for any sign of dissatisfaction to latch on to, then pull the companies in question apart? You've done it with Seafood Express, Big Freight, H&R and now you're sitting in front of your computer, with an evil gleam in your eye, hoping to do it to Bulk Carriers. What possible joy do you get from it? Why don't you bu**er off and leave these forums to people that either need information or have information to contribute, because your presence here seems to be neither welcome nor valuable. And before you start, nobody buys your "crusader" bull.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

If that's the case, then why do you haunt these forums, looking for any sign of dissatisfaction to latch on to, then pull the companies in question apart? You've done it with Seafood Express, Big Freight, H&R and now you're sitting in front of your computer, with an evil gleam in your eye, hoping to do it to Bulk Carriers. What possible joy do you get from it? Why don't you bu**er off and leave these forums to people that either need information or have information to contribute, because your presence here seems to be neither welcome nor valuable. And before you start, nobody buys your "crusader" bull.
Originally Posted by Big Truck

Well BT instead of bitching why don't you enlighten us all as to what you have been doing for the last 20 years , besides taking teddy bears into the woods for picnic's!
Reading between the lines of your reply to peterlee_flyer, if your not prepared to "swan off" for any length of time, your either a desk pilot or RDC trunk driver?
I totally agree with P_F if you have no intention of coming to Canada why the hell are you on here??? You add no value to those who want factual information on the industry, the country or the lifestyle. Or those who are in the process of making the move and want up to date information.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by taff trucker
Well BT instead of bitching why don't you enlighten us all as to what you have been doing for the last 20 years , besides taking teddy bears into the woods for picnic's!
Reading between the lines of your reply to peterlee_flyer, if your not prepared to "swan off" for any length of time, your either a desk pilot or RDC trunk driver?
I totally agree with P_F if you have no intention of coming to Canada why the hell are you on here??? You add no value to those who want factual information on the industry, the country or the lifestyle. Or those who are in the process of making the move and want up to date information.
I really do think i wrote all this in an other life
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Yup It's all been done and said before.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hey big truck how is the tipper business these days, isn't that what you do or did, i might be mistaken and apologize if i am but im sure you did mention in past threads thats what you do or run. For what it's worth i hope your doing ok with the economy slump in the building and im guessing the goverment are not allowing to many new roads to be built either.

Yeah folks take as easy as it comes on here no point in being sucked in to something you can or cannot prove to be right or wrong.
Just take what you need and just do it. I did and it's going to pay off for me.
Took some time but hey i have time and doing what i enjoy doing best Long Haul Trucking unless your Gremmie and he still drives a desk or a lappy or something. lmao

LOAFY...
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

peterlee_flyer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie

I know Graham, but if we all bang away at him for long enough, he may get the message. But, then again, maybe not.
Old Nov 19th 2009, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by branstonboy
aha! Bob Curzon (?) said he'd had a Brit in his office yesterday when I spoke to him.
Not me mucker must have been another fellow
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Sorry Graham Ouiji board is on the blink
Old Nov 20th 2009, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kb33
So C'mon Dave what was wrong with Bulk ... Spill the beans

ps : Good Luck with your new job Guess it must be easier to swap jobs in PEI than Alberta on a WP
MY experience:

Bulk monthly pay = $1700 (in a good month)

Midland Bi-weekly pay = $1600 (projected approx depending on where you run to)

Think that sums it up.... apart from alot of other consistantly unprofessional actions (not to be mentioned on here)

Suppose they are fine for some but not for others.
Old Nov 20th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
MY experience:

Bulk monthly pay = $1700 (in a good month)

Midland Bi-weekly pay = $1600 (projected approx depending on where you run to)

Think that sums it up.... apart from alot of other consistantly unprofessional actions (not to be mentioned on here)

Suppose they are fine for some but not for others.
Nice one - Cant think of a better reason than that to swap jobs

How the hell are you supposed to live on $1700 a month ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.