Manitoba Advice

Old Oct 16th 2012, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

revo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Manitoba Advice

Hi everyone,

I am a 28 year old guy from the Liverpool and am hoping to find some advice on the possibility of finding class 1 work in Manitoba. I have been driving courier vans in the uk for a several years and want to move up to my HGV/ Class 1 and am wondering if I can do this in Canada as I have an IEC visa which is basically an open work permit (so no lmo needed) for a year but can be extended to two.

My plan is to move to Winnipeg and do my class 1 training at United Transportation Driver Training in Steinbach and then hopefully find a job which down the line will enable me to apply for my PR.

So my question is do you guys think this is a feasible plan? Is it possible to get any kind of class one work in manitoba without class 1 experience? I have been driving for over 10 years and have a clean licence. Any advice and thoughts would be really appreciated.

Cheers guys
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

man240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really nice
Default Re: Manitoba Advice

You need to get your Class 1 in the UK, get a couple of years experience, then go over. You need to have driven Class 1 for 2 out of the last 5 years. You then have to take your class 1 again in Canada.
Old Oct 16th 2012, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

man240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really niceman240utd is just really nice

As well as written tests & Air brake test.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by man240utd View Post
You need to get your Class 1 in the UK, get a couple of years experience, then go over. You need to have driven Class 1 for 2 out of the last 5 years. You then have to take your class 1 again in Canada.
Not true..... these criteria apply to LMO/WP applicants, with the visa he has he can feasibly come here get his ticket and get a job. Just like any green horn Canadian
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

In this particular case I agree with Gremmie. By the terms of his visa he's not coming to Canada as a truck driver so he doesn't have to prove truck driving experience.
Of course actually getting a job without experience might be a different matter?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

i came over on an open visa got my canadian license but i did have years of experience back home. i did have a job lined up before coming over to tide me over till i got my license etc sorted. just do lots of research and make sure u have enough money to get you till the cash starts to flow in.
I have to agree you would be better getting some driving experience in uk see if you like it first.
Old Oct 17th 2012, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys,
Your advice is really appreciated. If I pay for my HGV over here there are not many jobs around, especially for someone starting out. I was hoping there would be more opportunities in Canada for a new guy as it seems to be in a much better state economically…plus I have my visa right now which I don’t really want to go to waste. I may not be able to get one again.

It will be a gamble if i do come over as from your reply’s it isn’t very likely I will find class 1 employment, but even if not hopefully I can get a job driving vans or something until I get a break or have to head back.

I really want to get out of the UK while I have the opportunity, funds and no ties here. I guess I will have to think it over some more and hope I make the right choice. Thanks again for your thoughts, honestly are a big help and appreciated.
Cheers.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by revo View Post
Thanks guys,
Your advice is really appreciated. If I pay for my HGV over here there are not many jobs around, especially for someone starting out. I was hoping there would be more opportunities in Canada for a new guy as it seems to be in a much better state economically…plus I have my visa right now which I don’t really want to go to waste. I may not be able to get one again.

It will be a gamble if i do come over as from your reply’s it isn’t very likely I will find class 1 employment, but even if not hopefully I can get a job driving vans or something until I get a break or have to head back.

I really want to get out of the UK while I have the opportunity, funds and no ties here. I guess I will have to think it over some more and hope I make the right choice. Thanks again for your thoughts, honestly are a big help and appreciated.
Cheers.
Dont waste your funds on the British HGV, come here get ya licence, getting a job with zero experience wont be to hard.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Gremmie is right, if you want to be in Canada do it all here.

The instructor my Mrs had said it was EASIER to train her as she had no preconceived ideas. What he said is what she did.

Plenty more opportunity for driving over here, Winnipeg an excellent place to start.

Come on over, don't waste your time & money in UK.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot guys, soon as I sell my motorbike I will come over and try my luck. If it doesn’t work out then I will just have to go back to blighty and at least wont have regrets for not trying.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer your thoughts , really is appreciated. See you on the other side eh…
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie View Post
Dont waste your funds on the British HGV, come here get ya licence, getting a job with zero experience wont be to hard.
True. One of the posters on here came over to H&R with his girlfriend and whilst he was doing his mentor trips she took and passed her class 1 (good lass), they now run super single. So much for Lyndons 'wealth of experience needed, including continental' BS!
Save your money, do the training and test in Canada.
Old Oct 20th 2012, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by revo View Post
Thanks a lot guys, soon as I sell my motorbike I will come over and try my luck. If it doesn’t work out then I will just have to go back to blighty and at least wont have regrets for not trying.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer your thoughts , really is appreciated. See you on the other side eh…
hi, with your sort of attitude i hope you succeed just make sure you take plenty of money with you, wouldn't want to fail just because of lack of funds. goodluck