British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Lurker needing help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/lurker-needing-help-825766/)

stubo Feb 20th 2014 10:59 am

Lurker needing help

Hi there

Been lurking for a year reading how you guys have been getting on, doing research etc, been interesting following those who have gone and those out there.

Story is my hubbie is hgv class 1 trained, 8 years exp, wishing to relocate. Have family in Canada also. Am I still correct in thinking Saskatchewan is the only area taking drivers on from overseas? Or has this been spread out due to the demand for drivers against work.

I'm also very keen to spk to any females who have gone out with their other halves.

No rose tinted glasses here have read some enlightening posts, just need honest reviews and guidance if possible

Thanks for reading :)

neilcumming Feb 20th 2014 4:38 pm

Re: Lurker needing help

Originally Posted by stubo (Post 11138874)
Hi there

Been lurking for a year reading how you guys have been getting on, doing research etc, been interesting following those who have gone and those out there.

Story is my hubbie is hgv class 1 trained, 8 years exp, wishing to relocate. Have family in Canada also. Am I still correct in thinking Saskatchewan is the only area taking drivers on from overseas? Or has this been spread out due to the demand for drivers against work.

I'm also very keen to spk to any females who have gone out with their other halves.

No rose tinted glasses here have read some enlightening posts, just need honest reviews and guidance if possible

Thanks for reading :)

Most drivers from the UK go to either SK,MB or AB.I thought about going to BC but was put off by the house prices,the east coast provinces I couldnt tell you much about but I do know their pay is the lowest in Canada.In Ontario you can get a work permit as a truck driver but cant get permanent residency.

kb33 Feb 23rd 2014 5:16 pm

Yup AB /SK /MB are the easiest province to move to and hopefully get PR , Do some research and find one that fits your needs , They all have long cold harsh winters , (Southern AB less so ) So a hubbie out for ten to 14 days while OH is stuck at home with nothing to do is something to contemplate , Finding a company with plenty of other brit drivers could be an asset , More brit drivers wives to network with .

Loblaws in Regina could be a good place to start , Or the few companies around Lethbridge AB as well . Do lots of research , Thats the key .

Lorna_D Feb 23rd 2014 6:42 pm

Loblaws have been taking on, you could also try H & R and DJ Knoll.

We came over almost 7 years ago on the SINP truck drivers program and have been very happy. There are those that have not managed the winters or long time away from their spouses and gone back to the UK.

I hurts the pocket that the spouse is not able to work for about a year until you get your Sask nomination, but if you plan well it is manageable. Having said that we came without children so did not have extra mouths to fee.

I haven't heard of any companies coming over the the UK to recruit for a while cos they are taking people from the Ukraine.

Get your OH CV converted to fit in with the Canadian style and send it to all the trucking companies, then follow up with a phone call. Do not sit back and do nothing if you want to make it happen. You will not get it handed to you on a plate here.

Good luck.

Sats72 Mar 2nd 2014 9:01 pm

Just to give a heads up to the op. If you intend to go for pr via pnp route, having family in a different province to the one you apply could hinder you.
For example, in Manitoba if you have strong family connections to another province then its unlikely they'll nominate you.