Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Lorry driving jobs in Calgary

Lorry driving jobs in Calgary

Old Dec 19th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

adrianmk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lorry driving jobs in Calgary

Originally Posted by chan82
How did you get a interview with h and r over here then? I emailed them but never got a reply.
Hi,

through the truckstop news magazine that you get on the ferry,they do it through an agency.

but once you get the job you work direct for H&R is what they tell me.

Its a case of getting over and seeing for your self what the crack is once you arrive,people will always give mixed views as certain jobs suit certain people.

It also depends on your personal circumstances,commitments etc....if your on your own and just want to crack on then im sure you will find a company that will accommodate you and what you want from the experience.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

chan82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive seen those adds in truckstop news magazine but everyone said avoid agencies so i never bothered with them. Im own my so it doesnt bother me if im away for a couple of weeks at time or where abouts in Canada im based. Im hoping that me going over there will make a good impression and how serious i am about getting a job over and ive read on some site that it works! The only reason i choose calgary is because all the expats say how nice it is there. Id be happy to go anywhere to be honest.
Old Dec 20th 2012, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chan82
How did you get a interview with h and r over here then? I emailed them but never got a reply.
I always think no matter what you do in life, if a person/company cannot be bothered to reply in any way to your contact...then move on and don't give them a second thought!
Old Dec 21st 2012, 9:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gazman
I always think no matter what you do in life, if a person/company cannot be bothered to reply in any way to your contact...then move on and don't give them a second thought!
Thats what i thought. I emailed about 6 companies and they all got back to me except h and r. Even the ones who said the no got back to me which you dont get in england!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

some companys use agencys to recruit and do all the paperwork for them as it saves them the hassel you will work direct for the employer as long as you dont mind the extreme cold its -19 and snowing at the moment here and can go as low as -40 or even -50 and kijji is a good place to look a lot of the companies on there will only employ permanent residents or canadians as they don't need lmos or work permits and only need a few drivers companies like h and r are used by a few drivers as a stepping stone to canada as they come over here hang the job out till they get pr status then go and work for who ever they want as until you get pr you can only work for that company unless you find another company with an lmo which will take you on my advice is to do as much research as you can and wait till the weather warms up come out for a holiday and spend the time getting job interviews while you are here as there is other places apart from Calgary to live and work
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

I've already got my holiday booked for end of January. Cold doesn't bother but mind you the cooldest ive been in is -19! I'll wrap up warm! Im going to try westcan aswell as bison cos ive seen there hireing from the uk.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

-29 this morning south of Calgary
Old Dec 27th 2012, 6:59 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kb33
-29 this morning south of Calgary
Look on the bright side. At least you won't be bothered by mosquitoes.
Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Gazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to allGazman is a name known to all

Have just seen an saying RJ Hoffman Holdings are looking for drivers to work in the oilfield at Lloydminster...does anyone know of them and have any knowledge about them as an employer???

[it says €20.00 ph Canadian Dollar - €24.00ph Canadian Dollar, overtime x1.5 after 8 hours]

Last edited by Gazman; Dec 28th 2012 at 11:00 am. Reason: wage
Old Dec 28th 2012, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

type the name in,there was a thread about them yrs back..
Old Dec 28th 2012, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jamesmc
type the name in,there was a thread about them yrs back..
Thanks Jimmy, have just read what was left of that thread and after adding that to the way I was treated by Westcan a few years back, I think I'm going to cross Calgary/Alberta off my list completely now. I think I'll now focus on NB and NS for my current search, although I'll still keep an eye out for options in Ontario or Manitoba too...
Old Dec 28th 2012, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

noticed on kijiji winnipeg (driver security part of jobs)today ..transx and agri-tel in mb ,have LMOs available.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Have just seen an saying RJ Hoffman Holdings are looking for drivers to work in the oilfield at Lloydminster...does anyone know of them and have any knowledge about them as an employer???

[it says €20.00 ph Canadian Dollar - €24.00ph Canadian Dollar, overtime x1.5 after 8 hours]
Bad news company steer clear of them
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
noticed on kijiji winnipeg (driver security part of jobs)today ..transx and agri-tel in mb ,have LMOs available.
Agri tel very high turn over of drivers hard and fast reefer work. Not a good bet.
Trans X are like Bison
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jimmy, have just read what was left of that thread and after adding that to the way I was treated by Westcan a few years back, I think I'm going to cross Calgary/Alberta off my list completely now. I think I'll now focus on NB and NS for my current search, although I'll still keep an eye out for options in Ontario or Manitoba too...
Do look at the visa side of things though, not all provinces would allow you to gain PR as a truck driver, or for your spouse (if you have one) to work either.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.