British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Lorry driving jobs in Calgary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/lorry-driving-jobs-calgary-780831/)

chan82 Dec 17th 2012 9:04 am

Lorry driving jobs in Calgary

Hello im 30 year old lorry driver currently in England looking for work in Candan. I was looking at Calgary because from what i've read on here it seems like a decent place to live. Im going on holiday over there for a week at the end of january and Bison Transport have said its ok me to go to there Calgary office for a interview. I was wondering if anyone had delt with them and knew what they were like. Seem very helpful in emails! Ive also seen alot about H and R so ive emailed them but they never got back so im going to ring them while over to see if i can arrange a interview. Does anyone else know of any other companies that would hire a from Britain i could speak to while im over there? I want to do the proper long haul stuff and im not fused about being away for long periods of time.

jamesmc Dec 17th 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Lorry driving jobs in Calgary

Well wi Bison you will pay an immigration firm for the privilege But that saying i have friends drive for them and once you get a yr down you can start to have your say on runs.
Money sounds reasonable 40c a mile( what im told),milage bonus ,safe driving,dont expect a new truck till you have done some time just saying..some of the dispatchers sound like dks but was told dont waste time ,,just go in and tell them what you are prepared to do!
you will work your hrs (70 per wk)and see all 48 southern states.
They are legal ,legal ,legal ,trucks fitted with sensors ,so they can tell braking etc and you will be pulled into see the gestapo in w/peg if the buzzer goes off to many times ,even if you are in stop/go traffic round cities!
Bison run a lot of doubles on wpeg/regina/saskatoon.
they are the big boy out on the prairie and are well known for fng rates and taking loads for fuelmoney just to move trailers.
and for other companies look at other posts i have done!
jimmy

Gazman Dec 17th 2012 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10437792)

you will work your hrs (70 per wk)and see all 48 southern states.
They are legal ,legal ,legal ,trucks fitted with sensors ,...
jimmy

What exactly is 'legal'?, is 70 hours driving time legal in Canada or the states?, does it depend on which province you're in or which province you started the day from?, where could I find a guide explaining all that???

neilg14 Dec 17th 2012 6:37 pm

Canada-70hrs in 7 days. USA- 70hrs in 8 days.

jamesmc Dec 17th 2012 7:54 pm

aye legal for Bison is tyres,lights, trailer slides working (pins free),.Across canada unless you way up north 70hrs on duty, 13hr driving allowed.
When you run into the states logbook must confirm to USA rules even though most of the journey that day is in Canada ,,,,major rule to remember is you must of had 10hrs break in one lump as opposed to 8hrs in canada rules.
Dont even get me started on axle weights ,in Canada its 39.5tns on 5axle,USA is 80000lbs .
axle spreads in canada,vary in usa,
in canada different weights in different provinces and different times of yr. axle weights ie.drive axles 14.4-----17tns different time of yr same road.:o
believe ...i got caught out this yr half ton over on centre axles (on train ) 2tn under gross ..still near $1000 fine! no mercy shown.:blink:
TRY manitoba trucking assoc ..web site..
MPI.CA..FOR INFO DRIVER QUIZZES.
JIMMY

Gazman Dec 17th 2012 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 10438319)
aye legal for Bison is tyres,lights, trailer slides working (pins free),.Across canada unless you way up north 70hrs on duty, 13hr driving allowed.
When you run into the states logbook must confirm to USA rules even though most of the journey that day is in Canada ,,,,major rule to remember is you must of had 10hrs break in one lump as opposed to 8hrs in canada rules.
Dont even get me started on axle weights ,in Canada its 39.5tns on 5axle,USA is 80000lbs .
axle spreads in canada,vary in usa,
in canada different weights in different provinces and different times of yr. axle weights ie.drive axles 14.4-----17tns different time of yr same road.:o
believe ...i got caught out this yr half ton over on centre axles (on train ) 2tn under gross ..still near $1000 fine! no mercy shown.:blink:
TRY manitoba trucking assoc ..web site..
MPI.CA..FOR INFO DRIVER QUIZZES.
JIMMY

$1000 :eek:, that's cruel, and there was me complaining about spending 80quid every year for a Driver's CPC...:blink:

flat to the mat Dec 17th 2012 11:44 pm

Just gotta keep your wits about you . You'll have the Provincial axel weights which vary , then the winter weight allowance for the build up of snow and ice , then come the big melt in springtime certain highways only allow a percentage of the usual limit . Cross the border into the land of the stupid and the rules change again .
The HOS (HOURS OF SERVICE) will take a bit of getting used to , especially on long haul because you can easily shoot yourself in the foot , mind you the whole trucking industry is so frigging retarded here most legislation requires a second glance :lol:.
You'll have it sussed soon enough , if in doubt you "phone a friend".

Gazman Dec 18th 2012 6:26 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 10438715)
Just gotta keep your wits about you . You'll have the Provincial axel weights which vary , then the winter weight allowance for the build up of snow and ice , then come the big melt in springtime certain highways only allow a percentage of the usual limit . Cross the border into the land of the stupid and the rules change again .
The HOS (HOURS OF SERVICE) will take a bit of getting used to , especially on long haul because you can easily shoot yourself in the foot , mind you the whole trucking industry is so frigging retarded here most legislation requires a second glance :lol:.
You'll have it sussed soon enough , if in doubt you "phone a friend".

Was just reading HOS, I get the idea, and I'm guessing you enter the hours you drive in the log-book rather than having a digital tacho??, that sounds like a better idea to me. I could tell you some odd stories about people getting caught out because they didn't understand the basics of digital tachos and the annoying faults that they can have :rofl:,

chan82 Dec 18th 2012 10:24 am

Thanks for the help. I had seen a few bad comments about Bison but then again who doesnt have anything good to say about who they work for! Also i was expecting to walk into adecent truck straight away so that doesnt bother me. As for the hours ive read god knows how many different ways for them and i think i understand one!

jamesmc Dec 18th 2012 2:22 pm

Dont get me wrong Bison would be a good firm to work for .,especially for a new driver to Canada.
What i mean is you would run legal ,do plenty miles in a wk.and see how the job works over here ..NB..you would just be a number '
Aye FTTM got caught last day of spring restriction,ran though the month on them with an end dump tridump no probs and last day of restrictions picked up my train and stopped /weighed first load. class A road with 90% .
jimmy

chan82 Dec 18th 2012 3:29 pm

Whats FTTM stand for?

jamesmc Dec 18th 2012 3:33 pm

lol,,,Flat To The Mat... poster above.

adrianmk Dec 18th 2012 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by chan82 (Post 10440082)
Whats FTTM stand for?

Hi,

H&R are holding interviews in the UK march, mine has come through for the 18th.
hopefully i get offered a spot.

let me know how you get on when your on your holidays with interviews etc.

wire Dec 18th 2012 8:19 pm

I wouldn't want to drive for any big company and Bison is the biggest trucking company in Canada but that said, I really can't believe anyone would turn down Bison to work for H&R.
Bison employ over a thousand Canadian guys as drivers and as far as I know they are happy enough on the whole. I know one Canadian guy who has worked there for nearly 15yrs.
On the other hand I don't believe any self respecting Canadian would work for H&R and thats why they are forced to employ nothing but Brits. Even then they have a massive turnover of drivers far out of proportion to the size of the company.
Work it out for yourselves.

chan82 Dec 18th 2012 11:06 pm

How did you get a interview with h and r over here then? I emailed them but never got a reply.