Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Long shot trucking jobs in western Canada

Long shot trucking jobs in western Canada

Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:54 am
Just Joined

AlexGrant88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long shot trucking jobs in western Canada

Evening all, I'm a 31 year old truck driver from the UK. I'm currently working for Waitrose at their Leyland depot. I've been driving class 1 trucks for over 5 years and I have experience hauling hazardous goods, refrigerated and some farm machinery on flat deck. I'm aware at the moment Alberta has added trucking to the refusal to process list for LMIA's. I was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that had pre approved LMIA's? Alternatively I've also been looking at companies in Saskatchewan and BC close to the Alberta border that may also hire foreign workers.
I'm moving to Canada to live with my girlfriend living in Edmonton, we were hoping to live together for a year before she can sponsor me for residency. Unfortunately covid-19 seems to be scuppering our plans at every turn.
I'm also very open to general farm work in the Edmonton area if anyone knows of any farmers needing help. I do have some experience in a farm environment so it's not all entirely new. I know I seem to have picked one of the hardest provinces to move to but you can't help who you fall for haha.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long shot trucking jobs in western Canada

Originally Posted by AlexGrant88 View Post
Evening all, I'm a 31 year old truck driver from the UK. I'm currently working for Waitrose at their Leyland depot. I've been driving class 1 trucks for over 5 years and I have experience hauling hazardous goods, refrigerated and some farm machinery on flat deck. I'm aware at the moment Alberta has added trucking to the refusal to process list for LMIA's. I was wondering if anyone knew of any companies that had pre approved LMIA's? Alternatively I've also been looking at companies in Saskatchewan and BC close to the Alberta border that may also hire foreign workers.
I'm moving to Canada to live with my girlfriend living in Edmonton, we were hoping to live together for a year before she can sponsor me for residency. Unfortunately covid-19 seems to be scuppering our plans at every turn.
I'm also very open to general farm work in the Edmonton area if anyone knows of any farmers needing help. I do have some experience in a farm environment so it's not all entirely new. I know I seem to have picked one of the hardest provinces to move to but you can't help who you fall for haha.
Hi, and welcome to BE. I think that in all honesty, getting a LMIA for a trucking job is very unlikely at the mo given the situation with unemployment and Covid over there, there will be plenty of Canadians looking for work. Also, don't forget that one of the requirements for your gf to sponsor you as her common-law spouse is that you've lived together continuously for at least a year, which may not work with long haul trucking and the absences.

You don't by any chance have an Irish passport do you (or a route to one, i.e. an Irish grandparent)?
Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Hi, and welcome to BE. I think that in all honesty, getting a LMIA for a trucking job is very unlikely at the mo given the situation with unemployment and Covid over there, there will be plenty of Canadians looking for work. Also, don't forget that one of the requirements for your gf to sponsor you as her common-law spouse is that you've lived together continuously for at least a year, which may not work with long haul trucking and the absences.

You don't by any chance have an Irish passport do you (or a route to one, i.e. an Irish grandparent)?

Thanks for getting back to me. I think so too, I know there's a lot of Canadians looking for work but there's always so many trucking jobs available. I've called so many recently that say they have pre approved LMIA's but then tell me they only hire Indians or I must already be in Canada to be eligible. I guess it's just a bad time to be looking unfortunately.

I don't have an Irish passport and as far as I know, none of my family is irish sadly.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an Irish passport and as far as I know, none of my family is irish sadly.
Ah shame, just thought it was worth checking in case you were eligible for the IEC visa under Irish citizenship, as you're just too old for the UK program.

Marriage maybe? I'll get my hat.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

I was actually waiting for the IEC at the start of this year to get a RO visa through Bunac (up to age 35 in the UK with an RO) but IRCC hasn't done a draw since March. I did find out, much to my annoyance that IRCC had released a limited number of RO visas in October through Go International for essential work. No advertising or anything, I spoke to Go International and they said they only informed people who had contacted them previously. Gutted!

Haha I'm actually going through a divorce right now and we did want to wait till we got married. I am waiting to hear from Skyforce transportation in Edmonton, I called them on Tuesday and the lady was pretty enthusiastic so fingers crossed.
Old Nov 15th 2020, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I was actually waiting for the IEC at the start of this year to get a RO visa through Bunac (up to age 35 in the UK with an RO) but IRCC hasn't done a draw since March. I did find out, much to my annoyance that IRCC had released a limited number of RO visas in October through Go International for essential work. No advertising or anything, I spoke to Go International and they said they only informed people who had contacted them previously. Gutted!

Haha I'm actually going through a divorce right now and we did want to wait till we got married. I am waiting to hear from Skyforce transportation in Edmonton, I called them on Tuesday and the lady was pretty enthusiastic so fingers crossed.
An RO IEC is a long shot anyway, sooooo oversubscribed! So sounds like the potential job in Edmonton would be a better bet, fingers crossed for you. If you've not read it already, our Job Hunting section of the Wiki has tons of useful info in too.

Best of luck.