British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Loblaw (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/loblaw-749906/)

dustyhoward Mar 31st 2012 6:22 pm

Re: Loblaw

It was something they weren't offered that's wh they are jealous

dave_lol66 Apr 1st 2012 2:13 am

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9982232)

Offered :eek: you have a licence and a pulse and turned up for a recruitment seminar. Driver turnover is so high in Canada anyone with a licence and clean criminal record check gets "offered" employment :rofl::rofl:
I hope it works out for you all I really do but obviously with so many naive drivers joing at the same time it will be fun for the employer too :thumbup:

perkinsgap Apr 1st 2012 2:22 am

I won't want to run hwy 1 to wpg all the time once a year enough for me and the winter will be fun. I would say really look in to it may be a trip for a few week to see if its what your want to do be a good idea it not for everyone

mickfly Apr 1st 2012 2:38 am

Jealous?
They point out possible pitfalls and you think they're jealous?
Let us know how it's going in a few months.

grant r Apr 1st 2012 7:05 am

You've got that wrong dustyhoward, i've been on this forum for about a year now and read alot of there posts and jealousy don't come in to it! All there trying to say is don't look a gift horse in the mouth cos these guys have been there and done it and you have to respect there opinion for that.

Big Truck Apr 1st 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 9981955)

But if I was stuck in a dead end job with no prospects in the recession hit UK well yes I would defiantly get across for a research trip and consider it .

Think I mentioned the word "research" a few times myself!!!:thumbup:

Big Truck Apr 1st 2012 8:35 am

Originally Posted by cmetty41 (Post 9981638)
Big Truck you are so far of the mark mate.The Job is not nightshift for a start.You leave Regina to Winnipeg around 1pm roughly 8 hr drive and a 2 hr tip head down for the night return in the morning.By the sounds of your comments you had a bad expericence,but that is not always the case for everyone.At the end of the day if it doesn't work out I shall simply jump on a big plane and head elswhere EASY AS THAT.

Its driving in the dark during the winter would be my worry if your doing those set hours.
Bet your 1pm start gets put back a right few times then over the winter it will be "nightshift" driving!!!:unsure:

If your single with no ties you'd be better looking at "decent" OTR companies.;)

BTW,

I didn't have a "bad experience" never went out in the end, was considering it for a right few years but wife didn't take to it plus too many negatives from the trucking companies and have a good quality of life here in NI if truth be told.:)

dustyhoward Apr 1st 2012 12:23 pm

You cant say that as you have never been

dustyhoward Apr 1st 2012 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 9983251)
You cant say that as you have never been

At the end of the day you are not a real trucker which is fair enough if you are happy in worn out recession riddled over populated over cultured ripped off being told what to do by other countries BRITAIN

Chicken lights and chrome Apr 1st 2012 10:30 pm

Just a quote from the recruiter at Loblaws on a different site

Big Geordie Post subject: Re: Saskatchewan company Needs Truck DriversPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 am

REGISTERED BRONZE

ok what is the rate per mile and the hourly rate

Hourly rate starts at $18, cents per mile

Singles is .245
Pike .30
Triples .40

Seems to be a stark contrast from that to the now quoted $23p/h and 53cpm:thumbdown:

Another quote

Big Geordie Post subject: Re: Saskatchewan company Needs Truck DriversPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 am

REGISTERED BRONZE

thank you. What would determine whether the driver got paid by the mile or hour?:?:

We pay drivers what is called "Activity Based Pay" What this is, is that we allocate a period of time to an Activity. so we allocate 35 mins for pre and post trips, so the driver get paid 1hr 10 mins for his pre/post trips. Based on his hourly rate, the hourly rate goes up .50 cents every 6 months to a max of $21.

Drivers als get paid by the hour if they do city deliveries here in Regina.

Again, still no $23p/h or 53cpm:thumbdown:

And another one, this is what one of the recruiters mates earns, so he's likely to be getting looked after

Big Geordie Post subject: Re: Saskatchewan company Needs Truck DriversPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:09 pm

REGISTERED BRONZE

Location: Regina, SK Let me put the record straight on wages, yes the cents per mile are low but as I have stated we have activity based pay which I don’t know if many other companies do this, Yanke did not. We pay for:-
Pre-trip
Post Trip
Hook ups
Drops
Refuelling the Tractor unit,
Refuelling the trailers
Dropping the trailer
DEF Refill
Unloading (which all you do is take a bar code of each pallet and stick it onto the POD; I leave all the hand bomb stuff to our 3PL carriers).
Wait time.
If you want a cent per mile all in its around 42cpm single and around 50cpm pike.

We also give you 15 snow days a year, a snow day can be declared anytime from the start to the end of your shift, if the weather is bad and slowing you down, you declare a snow day and you get paid by the hour at your hourly rate for the full shift, that includes if you have to park up for the night.

Benefits we pay 100% for prescription drugs, not many companies do that, if any. We give you a discount card to get 10% of you shopping if it is a Loblaw store, ooooh I hear you say, but 10% is better than Sweet F.A.

Race wise yes there is East Indian drivers that drive for 3PL companies 2 of my 3PL are East Indian, I don’t have any I have 12 Canadians and 1 Scott.

I never said anyone would take home thousands THIS IS NOT LONG HAUL, you won’t get it, you can get near, the Scottish lad that drives for me is my ex-team mate from Yanke he earns around $1800 take home every two weeks he runs 4 and 2, does a Meadow Lake store, Winnipeg Pike, Meadow Lake Store, Winnipeg Pike. Two days off.

All a far cry from what you lot seem to have been promised:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

Chicken lights and chrome Apr 1st 2012 10:41 pm

Here's another quote from the man at Loblaws, and these are gross figures remember, nowhere near the money you think that you will earn, not by a long shot!

For pay well as we all know over here you get what you work for, this is what my drivers earned last week, This is for 1 week not two mind, the driver that earned the $292.50 is part time and only works 1 day a week.

$1,160.30 5&3 Calgary Pike run
$536.32 4&4 Saskatoon deliveries
$1,408.29 5&2 Saskatoon Triples
$1,082.74 4&4 Calgary Pike run
$292.50 Part Time 1 run to Prince Albert store Delivery
$1,223.92 4&2 Meadow and Winnipeg
$843.21 5&3 Calgary Pike (had 3 days Holiday)
$634.50 5&2 Prince Albert Deliveries (3 day off sick)
$894.24 6&2 North Battleford (Had 4 days Holiday)
$1,370.34 5&2 Virden Change Over
$1,420.20 5&2 Virden Change over

These figure where taken from the payroll spread sheet, and as I said are for ONE WEEK only. And no they are not made up but obviously I cannot put one of our Accounting pay roll sheets on here.

flat to the mat Apr 2nd 2012 12:18 am

Still trying to get my head around 2 Meadow Lakes and 2 Peg pikes in 4 days ? They running team or jet fuel ? It doesn't equate :confused:

dave_lol66 Apr 2nd 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by flat to the mat (Post 9984113)
Still trying to get my head around 2 Meadow Lakes and 2 Peg pikes in 4 days ? They running team or jet fuel ? It doesn't equate :confused:

Nothing he has quoted on the other forum equated from the very beginning but these guys on here have obviously spent many sleepless nights researching this and know better :rofl::rofl:

Chicken lights and chrome Apr 2nd 2012 12:48 am

Originally Posted by dave_lol66 (Post 9984124)
Nothing he has quoted on the other forum equated from the very beginning but these guys on here have obviously spent many sleepless nights researching this and know better :rofl::rofl:

It doesn't look good, either they've been fed a pack of lies or Loblaws have changed their complete pay structure to become the best job in Nth America so they can get a few British drivers over:huh:

Just make sure you get a return flight...........

dave_lol66 Apr 2nd 2012 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Chicken lights and chrome (Post 9984131)
It doesn't look good, either they've been fed a pack of lies or Loblaws have changed their complete pay structure to become the best job in Nth America so they can get a few British drivers over:huh:

Just make sure you get a return flight...........

And maybe book it early, it's going to be a busy summer :huh: