British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Loblaw (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/loblaw-749906/)

russjp Mar 25th 2013 12:59 am

Re: Loblaw

Hello again guys from snowy Regina lol, been here nearly a week now I think(jet lag kicked my arse for a few days lol) and all is good, my family and I are in our own place and I've bought an auction bargain motor to get us around too. It's been amusing this week with everybody telling us the weather is abnormal for the time of year, it's like they're trying to convince us to stay lol. FTTM I don't know where you're getting info from but none of the newbies have complained about the cold as far as I'm aware although one of them jacked in after 3 days training. You'll have to try harder than that to get rid of me, met some of the lads and they seem like a decent bunch and also none of them appear to be complaining they're not making enough. All you doubters should maybe cut the Loblaws guys a bit of slack as the job is pretty much as described, there'll be moaners and whiners wherever you go but for a grafter the money is there to be made.

Anyone who Pm'd me about accommodation send me your email addys and I'll forward them on to my friend with the contacts if you like

dustyhoward Mar 25th 2013 1:16 am

Hey russ andy told me you are sorted on juniper with property I live round the corner from you and chris chris and russ live round the corner to you I will meet up with you tomorrow or Tuesday

dustyhoward Mar 25th 2013 1:16 am

Any questions give us a shout

russjp Mar 25th 2013 1:25 am

Nice one DH look forward to it

tattoo99 Mar 25th 2013 8:11 am

Originally Posted by russjp (Post 10621895)
Hello again guys from snowy Regina lol, been here nearly a week now I think(jet lag kicked my arse for a few days lol) and all is good, my family and I are in our own place and I've bought an auction bargain motor to get us around too. It's been amusing this week with everybody telling us the weather is abnormal for the time of year, it's like they're trying to convince us to stay lol. FTTM I don't know where you're getting info from but none of the newbies have complained about the cold as far as I'm aware although one of them jacked in after 3 days training. You'll have to try harder than that to get rid of me, met some of the lads and they seem like a decent bunch and also none of them appear to be complaining they're not making enough. All you doubters should maybe cut the Loblaws guys a bit of slack as the job is pretty much as described, there'll be moaners and whiners wherever you go but for a grafter the money is there to be made.

Anyone who Pm'd me about accommodation send me your email addys and I'll forward them on to my friend with the contacts if you like

Managed to get something near Varsity park ...looks like a nice area (we shall see)
Good little apartment
See you soon Boys

dustyhoward Mar 25th 2013 4:55 pm

Varsity park is that near north central

tattoo99 Mar 25th 2013 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10623033)
Varsity park is that near north central

Not sure pal

dustyhoward Mar 25th 2013 5:14 pm

Just seen where it is that's ok there near arcola

dustyhoward Mar 25th 2013 5:14 pm

Have you got a set of wheels yet

tattoo99 Mar 25th 2013 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by dustyhoward (Post 10623076)
Have you got a set of wheels yet

The lass I'm renting off her boyfriend has a car lot
And says I can have a 2009 vw jetta for $500
A month for 6 then I own it but just an option as
Has quite a few cars

man240utd Mar 25th 2013 7:39 pm

Hi Russjp, i have PM'ed you. Cheers.

man240utd Mar 25th 2013 7:42 pm

Anybody going over to Loblaw on 15th April and want to share accommodation. I went over last year with them, but came back to UK after 2 months cos wife was ill. I am going back on 15th, but the house I was living in is no longer available. Cheers.

northboy Mar 26th 2013 7:55 pm

quick question ,, whats the outgoings like over there food. gas and leccy bills renting etc etc and is it right its 30%tax off the top line wagers ??? cheers :fingerscrossed:

flat to the mat Mar 27th 2013 3:54 am

Hi Russ , good to see you're settling well . No need to moan about the weather this week , beautiful at minus 10 or whatever although we might need our wellies soon. My info comes from both the office and the shop , oh and the warehouse but that's neither here nor there .
Hope the guy who quit after 3 days wasn't a newbie Brit , that would be madness . How soon do you get out on the highways , and what sort of runs are you doing , pikes/singles ?
Get the next few weeks out of the way and we'll grab a beer sometime , if I'm not living in a boat by then LOL . Best of luck with the test , Rob will get you sorted .

Mona Lisa 69 Mar 27th 2013 4:03 am

Originally Posted by northboy (Post 10625346)
quick question ,, whats the outgoings like over there food. gas and leccy bills renting etc etc and is it right its 30%tax off the top line wagers ??? cheers :fingerscrossed:

Hi northboy, I wish this question was easy to respond to. Prices vary so much on location in such a small area. I can only give you advice from my own experience an people I know. On average seems room/studio around $600 a month. I think on average guys that are sharing say two bed house can range from $1900-$2300, this can include bills so only outlay, other cases you might need to add on top of that bills. Again someone else might be able to advise you different, as our bills all included so have no clue. An can only advise on area we live in. As far as I can gather highest tax bracket here is 32%.

Not sure if given you a good idea or not. So difficult as someone else might think something expensive where others don't. We have friends here with kids who think shopping expensive, but if you weigh things up ive worked out its on par with UK, but I cook from scratch an freeze things. They seem to bulk buy here too, so for someone living on there own initial layout can seem expensive.