Loblaw

Old Apr 18th 2013, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

MrYak is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Loblaw

Originally Posted by cocker
They must be experts at keeping the roads open
Lol, saskatchewan roads get left alone pretty much. They don't salt, they don't grit unless they really have to. ( the police tell them to as there has been too many accidents) They only come out to plough when it's stopped snowing. If your out in a storm your on your own.
'road unsuitable for travel' is a favourite statement on highways website.
Just find somewhere to wait it out is the best plan.

Alberta on the other hand seem to do OK at keeping roads clear from what I've seen.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

cocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrYak
Lol, saskatchewan roads get left alone pretty much. They don't salt, they don't grit unless they really have to. ( the police tell them to as there has been too many accidents) They only come out to plough when it's stopped snowing. If your out in a storm your on your own.

Alberta on the other hand seem to do OK at keeping roads clear from what I've seen.
Whats it like getting use to driving them bull noses, with all the weight on the front in that weather it must be hard to feel the truck on the seat of your pants, or is it the same.
Is there many places to stop on highways and what is the services like.
If you were just starting your shift and weather says road unsuitable it would be mad to drive can that happen a lot.
And whats the longest you were stuck on the side of the road do you have to bring supply’s with you.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

hi just passing through,,,,
not a lot of weight on the front ower here its 5.5 tns on steer and 17tns on a tandem set (drives ,trailer ,etc)
you get used tae the hood in the way & imo you should carry warm clothes/snow suit ,hat ,gloves ,food water etc (enough for a day or so) in the winter even on a trunk. try sitting in a dead truck at -30c for any lenght o time waiting for a mechanic.
jimmy.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alberta has its good days and bad days when keeping the roads open. depending where you are and who is responsible for the stretch of highway you are on as they dont normally have the same company for the full length of the highway or main roads. they normally cover x amount of kms and some will put sand down others will just plow the rds and you always get mr or mrs invincible who think they can go 20 30 k faster in thier pick up or semi then they wonder why they are off the rd in a ditch or hitting the rear end of someone cause they are going to fast to stop. And you always want to make sure you have supplies with you i normally carry bottled water, granoler bars, a nice warm sleeping bag and if the weather is bad make sure your fuel tanks are full as you can always pull of the rd in to a turnaround ie lay-by as its called out here and run your engine all night. Then get up in the morning and go again. Its my first winter to and its a right eye opener driving on the snow and ice.
Its not unusual to go from a nice freshly cleared rd to running on the snow pretty quick. the problem with the weather is its unpredicatble
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to Saskatchewan , get used to it They generally leave the highways alone for good reason .
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Welcome to Saskatchewan , get used to it They generally leave the highways alone for good reason .
Thinning the herd ??
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

WHEN YOUR FEELING DOWN AND SAD AND THINK YOU HAVE IT BAD JUST READ THIS, IT'S ALL 100% TRUE.
THIS JOB IS BEING ADVERTISED IN SPAIN-UK-IRELAND
Arriva took over Maltese as the operator of Maltese public transport on July
3rd 2012

Bus Drivers- Malta « Previous | Next » Back to Search Results Print this Page
Created on: 22/04/2013 | Updated on: 22/04/2013 | Displayed until 22/05/2013 29 days from now

Based in MaltaRef. JOB-757129Description
Driving passenger transport vehicles on routes around Malta. (left hand side driving) Provide customer care to passengers, providing information, handling cash, operating a ticket machine; attend CPC (continuous professional training) courses. All applicants must hold a full clean D Licence. Candidates must have knowledge of the English language. Skills Requirements: All applicants must be in possession of a valid EU passport.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Skills Requirements
All applicants must be in possession of a valid EU passport.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Salary: €250.00 pw EURO

Other Benefits:
Other benefits offered: Temporary accommodation maybe offered for up to 2 weeks. Collection of candidates from airport. Cost of flights to/from Malta at the beginning and end of contract.

Number of Positions

Contract Type
Permanent

Days, Hours & Start Date
Days per week: 5/6
Hours per day: Not specified
Hours per week: 40/48
Start Date: May/June 2013
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

Love to know how an agent or recruiter would sell this
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

WHEN YOUR FEELING DOWN AND SAD AND THINK YOU HAVE IT BAD JUST READ THIS, IT'S ALL 100% TRUE.
THIS JOB IS BEING ADVERTISED IN SPAIN-UK-IRELAND
Arriva took over Maltese as the operator of Maltese public transport on July
3rd 2012

Bus Drivers- Malta « Previous | Next » Back to Search Results Print this Page
Created on: 22/04/2013 | Updated on: 22/04/2013 | Displayed until 22/05/2013 29 days from now

Based in MaltaRef. JOB-757129Description
Driving passenger transport vehicles on routes around Malta. (left hand side driving) Provide customer care to passengers, providing information, handling cash, operating a ticket machine; attend CPC (continuous professional training) courses. All applicants must hold a full clean D Licence. Candidates must have knowledge of the English language. Skills Requirements: All applicants must be in possession of a valid EU passport.

Skills Requirements
All applicants must be in possession of a valid EU passport.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Salary: €250.00 pw EURO

Other Benefits:
Other benefits offered: Temporary accommodation maybe offered for up to 2 weeks. Collection of candidates from airport. Cost of flights to/from Malta at the beginning and end of contract.

Number of Positions

Contract Type
Permanent

Days, Hours & Start Date
Days per week: 5/6
Hours per day: Not specified
Hours per week: 40/48
Start Date: May/June 2013
Hope they are willing to fight the Maltese who they will be replacing!
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mickfly
Hope they are willing to fight the Maltese who they will be replacing!
That was all sorted last year, i know a few of the guys who went out there to sort the depot out
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by russjp
That was all sorted last year, i know a few of the guys who went out there to sort the depot out
That job was on the local job web site only a few days ago.
All the malta drivers were owner drivers for donkey years, and they all got paid big money to scrap there buses and were offerd a job with the new company i think it was 2011
They did not like the money or the hours they were offered and pulled a big strike on the day the new company was taking over, if you look it up some of it is very funny some went to work and would not stop at the bus stops for people

Anyway i dont know whats going on now over there now, but the jobs were in the paper and there were write ups about the money there were offering.
I know the cost of living is not too bad there, but to try and live on that would be very hard
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

7 Jul 2011
Arriva flies British strikebreakers to Malta
Arriva took over the Maltese bus network on Sunday, but were immediately plunged into chaos by an unofficial strike of at least 60 drivers. The drivers expressed their fury that despite signing an agreement to work a straight eight-hour shift, they were presented with a roster that includes split shifts running from 11am to 11.30pm with a four-hour break in between.
Many drivers refused to work the proposed shifts in spite of an agreement reached between the General Workers’ Union (GWU), which represents 480 bus drivers, and Arriva. Without the backing of their union, bus drivers congregated at 5am on Sunday, to try and stop the new fleet from taking off.
Twanny Cassar, who was chosen by those present to speak on their behalf, insisted the GWU had failed to inform them of the agreement reached with Arriva and it had forged ahead without consulting them, something the union denies. Mr Cassar said the only way drivers would agree to work a split shift was if they were paid €350 a week and not the paltry €245 a week they were being offered. “We were told that if we don’t like it we can return our uniform and leave. But we will fight this and if not we will go and register (for work, at the unemployment office). We cannot stand by and be ridiculed,” he said to loud cheers from fellow drivers.
Transport Minister Austin Gatt was in bullish mood, telling the workers “The days when you dictated what happened in public transport are over... a new service [is starting] with new conditions. Those who don’t like these conditions can choose not to not turn up for work and I hope they will be fired,” he said.
Arriva Malta responded to the strike by flying in 55 British drivers to fill the gaps in its service. But they don't speak the language, and don't know the routes.
This report has been compiled from several sources, principally the Times of Malta
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

7 Jul 2011
Arriva flies British strikebreakers to Malta
Arriva took over the Maltese bus network on Sunday, but were immediately plunged into chaos by an unofficial strike of at least 60 drivers. The drivers expressed their fury that despite signing an agreement to work a straight eight-hour shift, they were presented with a roster that includes split shifts running from 11am to 11.30pm with a four-hour break in between.
Many drivers refused to work the proposed shifts in spite of an agreement reached between the General Workers’ Union (GWU), which represents 480 bus drivers, and Arriva. Without the backing of their union, bus drivers congregated at 5am on Sunday, to try and stop the new fleet from taking off.
Twanny Cassar, who was chosen by those present to speak on their behalf, insisted the GWU had failed to inform them of the agreement reached with Arriva and it had forged ahead without consulting them, something the union denies. Mr Cassar said the only way drivers would agree to work a split shift was if they were paid €350 a week and not the paltry €245 a week they were being offered. “We were told that if we don’t like it we can return our uniform and leave. But we will fight this and if not we will go and register (for work, at the unemployment office). We cannot stand by and be ridiculed,” he said to loud cheers from fellow drivers.
Transport Minister Austin Gatt was in bullish mood, telling the workers “The days when you dictated what happened in public transport are over... a new service [is starting] with new conditions. Those who don’t like these conditions can choose not to not turn up for work and I hope they will be fired,” he said.
Arriva Malta responded to the strike by flying in 55 British drivers to fill the gaps in its service. But they don't speak the language, and don't know the routes.
This report has been compiled from several sources, principally the Times of Malta
It has been a bit of a joke really but the guys who`ve been sent out there to cover the services aren`t complaining, they get paid their normal rate and put up in digs so its just like a working holiday lol
Old Apr 24th 2013, 1:22 pm
Just Joined

It has been a bit of a joke really but the guys who`ve been sent out there to cover the services aren`t complaining, they get paid their normal rate and put up in digs so its just like a working holiday lol
Not a bad few weeks of work if you can get it a working holiday with sun.
So how is life treating you over there, i see by your thread that you are working there since march are you working for Loblaw,sounds like a good job.
With all that was said on this forum, a truck drivers life and job is the same where ever you are, long hours, trying to keep awake, only home long enough to get a few hours sleep and thats if you get home. The secret is to get a job that pays well and the company treats you well and they are hard to find in this day and age.
Loblaw seems a job where you know where you are going all the time like you have been to them places a few times or a lot before, Straight foward work roll on roll off. Reading about the flatbed work god that sounds hard and you would want to know what you are doing.
When anybody asks me about my job truck driver i tell them it's a tinker's job
When you think about it living out of in a truck, washing and eating on the road, sleeping on the road it's just sounds like what a tinker would do. But most of the time i would not have it any other way, it's a way of life.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Not a bad few weeks of work if you can get it a working holiday with sun.
So how is life treating you over there, i see by your thread that you are working there since march are you working for Loblaw,sounds like a good job.
With all that was said on this forum, a truck drivers life and job is the same where ever you are, long hours, trying to keep awake, only home long enough to get a few hours sleep and thats if you get home. The secret is to get a job that pays well and the company treats you well and they are hard to find in this day and age.
Loblaw seems a job where you know where you are going all the time like you have been to them places a few times or a lot before, Straight foward work roll on roll off. Reading about the flatbed work god that sounds hard and you would want to know what you are doing.
When anybody asks me about my job truck driver i tell them it's a tinker's job
When you think about it living out of in a truck, washing and eating on the road, sleeping on the road it's just sounds like what a tinker would do. But most of the time i would not have it any other way, it's a way of life.
Yes thanks I am working for Loblaws and am enjoying the way of life here, I've now got regular scheduled trips every week which are a short trip to Virden on Mondays to do a changeover then back to Regina which is about a 9-10 hour shift and then I'm doing a run to Edmonton on Tuesday and the same on Thursday which is a 10 hour drive (in normal conditions) and then back the following night with every weekend off and only 2 days away per week, I'm more than happy with that and consider myself quite lucky to not be away for weeks at a time like some of the guys on here. What people need to realize is that the transport side of Loblaws is a relatively new project and there is a learning curve which we are all following from the top of the chain all the way down but the management are fair and approachable and take on board any input we may have regarding the work/runs. As I've said before you can't please everyone all of the time but as I came here with my wife and son, working for Loblaws is an ideal scenario as I can earn a living wage and still get quality time at home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.