Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

LMO trucking entry to Alberta??

LMO trucking entry to Alberta??

Old May 24th 2013, 8:26 am
Just Joined

bigboot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMO trucking entry to Alberta??

Hi,

My wife and I are currently at the research stage of our move and was wondering if anyone could possibly help answering a few questions...

Has anyone entered canada getting a LMO for trucking??
Can you share your experience?

How far in advance should I apply for a job if I would like to land in canada next march?

Your help is much appreciated.
Old May 24th 2013, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: LMO trucking entry to Alberta??

Originally Posted by bigboot
Hi,

My wife and I are currently at the research stage of our move and was wondering if anyone could possibly help answering a few questions...

Has anyone entered canada getting a LMO for trucking??
Can you share your experience?

How far in advance should I apply for a job if I would like to land in canada next march?

Your help is much appreciated.
Where in Canada are you hoping to work? you need to research an area you may like to live to see what its like. You should start looking now at companys who have might have lmos and might be recruiting this year ready for next year as without an lmo and job offer you wont be able to come and work here.
Some of the companys which have lmos are might be recruiting are h and r transport, loblows, bision if you read through some of the old posts on here you will get an idea of who might be hiring and a rough idea of what they are like to work for. best thing to do is research research and research.
Old May 24th 2013, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanx 4 answering.

My wife has researched every little detail from cost of living to housing and possible job oppertunities for herself and we are pretty much fixed on the area of calgary. We have researched quite a few companies that seem to hire foreigners quite regularly, we just didn't want to approach too early and then not be ready when they needed us to leave.

Did you enter on an LMO basis?

With having 3 kids we don't want to risk the move without a job offer.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

bigfoot, not trying to put you off in any way but with 3 children at home are you prepared to be away for up to 3 weeks with 36-48 hr at home then away again.
Also Alberta is not the best province by far for gaining PR.
If your children are small and need childcare, approx $800/mth per child.
You might want to look at the likes of Loblaw in Regina as an option for a better hometime/money balance.
Old May 24th 2013, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

The issue with sask is my wife wouldn't be able to work for the 1st year or so because of their laws where as alberta she can and in regards to working away, I was in the army for 10years and being away all the time is away of life for my family, my wife is unbelievably independent and it wouldn't be forever.

My wife contacted a child home care worker in the area we would ideally like to live and with the ages are kids will be she quoted us around $750 for the lot.

I appreciate your concern and definitely dont underestimate the initial difficulty of everything but weighing the pros and cons Alberta seems to be the place for us. I will be traveling over 1st for a few months to work so that I can get settled etc hopefully less panic when the clan arrive then lol.

To be honest if i was a single lad I'd be away yesterday, I'm busting with excitement to live the truckers dream! But the other half is very practical and won't leave to everything is secure.

So you think we should be applying soon for positions?? Not too early?

Cheers again
Old May 24th 2013, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx 4 answering.

My wife has researched every little detail from cost of living to housing and possible job oppertunities for herself and we are pretty much fixed on the area of calgary. We have researched quite a few companies that seem to hire foreigners quite regularly, we just didn't want to approach too early and then not be ready when they needed us to leave.

Did you enter on an LMO basis?

With having 3 kids we don't want to risk the move without a job offer.
i`ll pm you in a bit
Old May 26th 2013, 7:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The issue with sask is my wife wouldn't be able to work for the 1st year or so because of their laws where as alberta she can
Just checking, but you're aware that the program allowing spouses of truckers in AB to work is only a pilot program? It's been extended until July 2013 but of course there's no guarantee it will be extended again. So don't count on that still being in place by next March.
Old May 26th 2013, 8:09 am
Just Joined

No I wasn't aware of that. Thank u for the info. Does that mean no matter where you go as couple only 1 can work?? Or am I being stupid saying that?
Old May 26th 2013, 8:38 am
Just Joined

Wife just googled it, we were under the impression that my wife could get an open work visa however as u say its just a pilot. Looks like she will have to get a temporary residents order and then she herself will also have to go the same route as myself and get an LMO. Alot more long winded but at least she can def still work.

Thanks for that info. We are still finding out so much along the way.
Cheers again.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank u for the info. Does that mean no matter where you go as couple only 1 can work??
You're welcome. No, for most couples the spouse gets a Spoual Open Work Permit - unfortunately though, only spouses of those who have jobs in Skill Level A, O or B get the spousal open work permit, and trucking is Skill Level C.

So for truckers, the only way for their spouse to get a SOWP is to move to one of the 2 or 3 provinces that have an active pilot scheme, and hope that the scheme continues!

And of course, once PR has been obtained, then the wife/husband can work anyway (although again, the province must be chosen carefully, as truckers can't apply for PR in all provinces as it's not a 'skilled' job).

HTH.
Old May 28th 2013, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're welcome. No, for most couples the spouse gets a Spoual Open Work Permit - unfortunately though, only spouses of those who have jobs in Skill Level A, O or B get the spousal open work permit, and trucking is Skill Level C.

So for truckers, the only way for their spouse to get a SOWP is to move to one of the 2 or 3 provinces that have an active pilot scheme, and hope that the scheme continues!

And of course, once PR has been obtained, then the wife/husband can work anyway (although again, the province must be chosen carefully, as truckers can't apply for PR in all provinces as it's not a 'skilled' job).

HTH.
In Alberta the spouse of trucker gets a 2 year open WP. To match that of her spouse. This is a FACT. My Mrs drives with me & when we changed jobs she got a new 2 year WP the same as myself. I am tied to my employer, she has an open permit & can work for whoever she likes. The only point to note is if I lost my job her permit would be cancelled until I found another employer.
Old May 29th 2013, 7:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by alandoug
In Alberta the spouse of trucker gets a 2 year open WP. To match that of her spouse. This is a FACT.
Yes, it's a FACT as stated above in other posts.

But as I pointed out above, that's only because of a pilot program which is due to end in July - it may be extended, but no guarantees for the OP. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp