Life so far in Canada

Old Jun 7th 2010, 8:56 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life so far in Canada

Originally Posted by karron
is this the "i'm a bigger prick than the other prick " thread ?
I think it is !
Sometimes I think that the only trucks that some of the posters drive are yellow and say "TONKA" on the side. They drive them around a sandbox and behave is if they were five years old. At least that's the way it often comes across.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
I think it is !
Sometimes I think that the only trucks that some of the posters drive are yellow and say "TONKA" on the side. They drive them around a sandbox and behave is if they were five years old. At least that's the way it often comes across.
I must admit it does seem that way when the handbags come out!!

We are generally nomadic & solitary creatures, in the course of our job we have to be "in your face" on occasions to get things moving or done. Social skills are not high on the agenda. Being able to tell some waster to "eff off" & mean it, is.
Hence in the red corner we have "Big truck", very anti Canada & the way things are over here, in the blue corner we have "Gremmie", who came over & after a serious accident has found his place & is now probably doing far better than he was before the accident. He believes in the Canadian system & that it rewards hard work.
These 2 are like bulls in a china shop, neither is EVER going to give way. Best to sit back & let it all hit the fan. Try to observe with understanding amusement, rather than making any serious judgement. If they ever met it would be like 2 mice trying to hide behind the same piece of cheese....
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

as the thread title asks it would be nice to see some more of "life so far in canada " from those who have first hand experience of a life in canada
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

as the thread title asks it would be nice to see some more of "life so far in canada " from those who have first hand experience of a life in canada
So what do u want 2 know? Reckon I said it all already
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

is it true about bears and what they do in the woods ? wasn't really directed at you as you are supplying relevant life in canada info,the sort of stuff that people will log on to to be informed.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

is it true about bears and what they do in the woods ? wasn't really directed at you as you are supplying relevant life in canada info,the sort of stuff that people will log on to to be informed.
Best u log on to my FB page to see what I did in the woods...

You'll find it if u try.... Clue: I also like motorbikes..
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

As i live and work here i would have been willing to offer any info you may have needed, but being reffered to as a prick by you wasnt particulary friendly so screw you
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

well if it saves me from reading any more "mines bigger than yours" posts then its no real loss. would prefer to be reading other more informative posts from the other residents of canada to get a more down to earth view on things
Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alandoug
Hence in the red corner we have "Big truck", very anti Canada & the way things are over here, i

Can you be so kind as to back up your above quote?!!!!

NOT anti-Canada in any way as I have pointed out many times before,
anti Canadian long haul truck companies YES who CONTINUE time after time to come over to the UK to rip off drivers because they CAN'T get enough locals to do the job due to the job conditions we all know about.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck

anti Canadian long haul truck companies YES who CONTINUE time after time to come over to the UK to rip off drivers because they CAN'T get enough locals to do the job due to the job conditions we all know about.
And time after time we ask for your proof, your first hand experience not just the moans and groans from a few bloggers that cant handle the trucking industry over here but you actual knowledge.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hello BT:
You time & again claim that Canadian companies rip off long haul truckers & CIC ought to do something about it. I can't find anything you've put up to balance the arguement. Hence my "anti Canada" accusation.

Sometimes you wait in Canada, sometimes you don't. Much the same as UK. Lets face it the guys that come over here are not bound in chains, their flight is paid for them, the return one too if necessary. I paid the following to get a Canadian tractor/trailer licence. $150 TWP, $20 airbrake test, $60 driving test, $60 to exchange my licence & $75 for the medical. Bulk provided a truck & necessary assistance FOC. I was paid the minimum wage of $8.40/hr while I trained based on a 40 hr week. My mentor trip was supposed to be 50 hr, but they paid 66 hr without me asking because it got abit hectic. Now I'm asking you, have I been shafted? I don't think I have. My wife stayed in the UK waiting for me to get my nomination & settle down (I've said all this b4).
I did not look at H&R mainly due to MFs experience, but some guys like it there. You do not acknowledge this in your continual slating of the industry over here. I'm not saying it is heaven on earth, but some are satisfied with it. Others use it as a stepping stone to move onto other things once they get PR. PR... a year, is that alot to ask? Make it too easy & every man & his dog would be here, they have to put in some form of regulation.
Just look at the UK & how some (NOT ALL) work the system because they are lazy wasters. The employment laws pander to the idle, the more "safeguards" are put in the more it costs to produce the goods. You like to warn people of the pitfalls - great. But give it some balance please?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck

Calm down girls,Nobody is ripping off anyone,and nobody is being forced to come here,it's not a penal colony(no pun intended).You have a choice under the system to come and work for a company for however long it takes to obtain residency,how long can depend on YOU submitting your application asap.So let's say minimum 12 months maximum 20,as long as there aren't any skeletons in your cupboard cos immigration will find them.So during that period you are being a paid tourist,driving around Canada and maybe the States,seeing all these great places,sure it can be sh*t* sometimes during the winter months but this is Canada.It's your choice,and if you got the balls to see it through you'll reap the benefits,if not then you'd better stay where you are.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Hello all you old timers. You may not recognise the username (I was formally kerlykeo) but I thought I would update our story

We moved to PEI 3 years ago hubby worked at seafood express, The PNP was for us a very smooth and quick process, things have since changed I believe. Seafood as a whole was OK. The support we had was good (mainly due to Robin) he moved and the new bloke was crap. Seafood and bulk do use and abuse the drivers, the work is crap, hours long and pay is dire....However we knew this before we came. We were hoping it would be bearable and there was a chance hubby would stay on the road once we had PR..this did not happen by the time we had PR he had had enough of trucking

so..he had to find a job, the island is basically seasonal. You have 3 choices
Get a goverment job.......very difficult
Work seasonal and go on EI every year or
work for about $11 an hour .A good job here is about $15.00 and very difficult to get

The island is lovely, the people friendly and we have NO regrets about coming here but we are leaving. We are moving to Ontario, we feel we have given it a go but it is time to move somewhere esle....for people who have me on facebook please dont mention us leaving the province as we are keeping that bit to ourselves

so there it is....
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lilacheart
Hello all you old timers. You may not recognise the username (I was formally kerlykeo) but I thought I would update our story

We moved to PEI 3 years ago hubby worked at seafood express, The PNP was for us a very smooth and quick process, things have since changed I believe. Seafood as a whole was OK. The support we had was good (mainly due to Robin) he moved and the new bloke was crap. Seafood and bulk do use and abuse the drivers, the work is crap, hours long and pay is dire....However we knew this before we came. We were hoping it would be bearable and there was a chance hubby would stay on the road once we had PR..this did not happen by the time we had PR he had had enough of trucking

so..he had to find a job, the island is basically seasonal. You have 3 choices
Get a goverment job.......very difficult
Work seasonal and go on EI every year or
work for about $11 an hour .A good job here is about $15.00 and very difficult to get

The island is lovely, the people friendly and we have NO regrets about coming here but we are leaving. We are moving to Ontario, we feel we have given it a go but it is time to move somewhere esle....for people who have me on facebook please dont mention us leaving the province as we are keeping that bit to ourselves

so there it is....
Hi Kerry, i just wonder if Ontario is any better job wise, as we get many applications from drivers there looking for jobs ???
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Hi Gremmie, We are checking out the market in Ontario at the moment. I don't think it will be as bad as PEI. The minimum wage there is more than Bob earns at the minute and it won't be as seasonal. House prices are very similar to the island so can't really lose

He would do trucking again and long as it was local work. He is game for most things and he is keeping an open mind

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.