Life so far in Canada

Old May 31st 2010, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life so far in Canada

Originally Posted by htrucker
No secret at all.
From Eastern Europe.
There is a Hungarian at Bulk. But the problem they have is the language, he took his airbrake test (not exactly rocket science) 3 times. Not due to any lack of understanding on his part, but he found the technical terms difficult.

I don't know the system in other Provinces, but on PEI you revise yourself asking questions if you are not clear. The test is taken in a government building, it is a proper test. You don't get told the answers.

Is your English virtually fluent? There are Germans at Bulk & they tend to do well, but their English is very good. Both spoken & written. Same with the Dutch guys here (one has been here 6 years). There is no reason you won't be succesful, both here or elsewhere. But if you're using a translator to post on the forum?? You may be asked to take a language test.

One other bit of info. When I E mailed Ayr Motors from UK & even phoned I got little interest. Once I walked through the door in Canada it was totally different. If you can afford it a recce trip may well produce the results you are looking for.
Old May 31st 2010, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Wayeee !!! Just like the good ole days !!

Bout time this place perked up a bit

Personally I would go with Bison and cough up the $5k , I mean that's a really small amount in the general scheme of things and I bet some ex H&R/Bulk /Yanke/Westcan/BFS drivers have wasted that much coming over here then back to the UK again.

Anyway once you get PR life is pretty good out here and it depends if you think the initial sacrifice is worth it as to whether you make the move or not.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

well its still warm and fuzzy in here.
instead of people telling long stories people should get the truth from the horses mouth. everyone has different experiences regarding to how they cope with mooving to a new country some hit the ground running and some stand and look at how big this country is and get scared. before coming here ask urself truthfully do you like driving all the time do yearn for more miles than you could possibly see in a life time without seeing the same old traffic jams.
id say go for the lmo get ur 2 years work permit and give it a go and you shouldnt be forced to sell ur house just yet it might be a long 2 years but once ur here then you can really decide if you want to stay dont be a "i wish i had done that" i know alot of you have families and have to make a joint decision well talk it over get the honest facts from people who are here or done it and ask them for thier advise. ask the advise of the most important people ur friends and rest of the family. and most importantly take everything you read here with a pinch of salt some things are true some things will be crap.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Blinkers are still on there Gremmie,look at this forum over the last few months all ruined by you as I have very rarely posted on it.

Just for the record I KNOW I have a life and its ALOT better than yours IE hows the social scene in Niverville these days?!!!!!!
I was in my garden last night pottering arround, did some mowing, sat and enjoyed a beer on the deck with the wife, watched the humming birds hover and zip arround our flowers. And you ???? I dont wear blinkers BT you forget i had the balls to get up and do some thing with my life, whilst you sit where you allways sit ploughing through other peoples life stories trying to gleen info to put yet more people down.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

htrucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone!

Alan,
no I`m not using any translator , but I know my English is not perfect.
Regarding to the recce trip, yes, I really need to think about it.
Hardly I get any reply for my emails or just " sorry but we are not recruiting at this moment".
This is so disappointing, but I won`t fed up !
Old Jun 1st 2010, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spockil
well its still warm and fuzzy in here.
instead of people telling long stories people should get the truth from the horses mouth. everyone has different experiences regarding to how they cope with mooving to a new country some hit the ground running and some stand and look at how big this country is and get scared. before coming here ask urself truthfully do you like driving all the time do yearn for more miles than you could possibly see in a life time without seeing the same old traffic jams.
id say go for the lmo get ur 2 years work permit and give it a go and you shouldnt be forced to sell ur house just yet it might be a long 2 years but once ur here then you can really decide if you want to stay dont be a "i wish i had done that" i know alot of you have families and have to make a joint decision well talk it over get the honest facts from people who are here or done it and ask them for thier advise. ask the advise of the most important people ur friends and rest of the family. and most importantly take everything you read here with a pinch of salt some things are true some things will be crap.
Thanks for the positive response .
I think I made a mistake when I`ve started to read forums and blogs about trucking in Canada.
Everyone ( except some ) is just complaining.
One company is worst than the other one..
Nothing is good enough...
I didn`t understand what is wrong ? Can`t be that bad to live in Canada !

Hardly you can find worst company than mine and I have been working for them more than 7 years .
I don`t mind to work hard , but I`d like to give a better life for my son and my family.
I`m away from them now, there won`t be any difference in Canada.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

htrucker:
You will work hard here, which I'm sure you're capable of.

However, if you are bringing your wife & family, unless you go to Alberta she will not be able to work for at least 6 months. DO NOT think food is cheap here, it is not. Utilities (gas, electric, TV) are very expensive. Mobile phones verge on madness. I have said this before & will do again now. If you all come over you will need savings to support yourself & take you all through the PNP/PR process. You will have to do your training & start at the bottom of the ladder with whichever company you go to.

My wife has a good job in UK, & that is where she will stay until I at least get my nomination. You need to reasearch the area you want to move to & cost out what you need to earn. You mention all the negatives about Canada, well they are there for a reason. Take heed of the warnings & learn from the experience of others, but don't let it put you off coming. I modified my expectations & approach in coming here as a result of what has been posted here & elsewhere.

This is not paradise on earth, but it is a wonderful country & I don't regret coming for one second.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by alandoug
htrucker:
You will work hard here, which I'm sure you're capable of.

However, if you are bringing your wife & family, unless you go to Alberta she will not be able to work for at least 6 months. DO NOT think food is cheap here, it is not. Utilities (gas, electric, TV) are very expensive. Mobile phones verge on madness. I have said this before & will do again now. If you all come over you will need savings to support yourself & take you all through the PNP/PR process. You will have to do your training & start at the bottom of the ladder with whichever company you go to.

My wife has a good job in UK, & that is where she will stay until I at least get my nomination. You need to reasearch the area you want to move to & cost out what you need to earn. You mention all the negatives about Canada, well they are there for a reason. Take heed of the warnings & learn from the experience of others, but don't let it put you off coming. I modified my expectations & approach in coming here as a result of what has been posted here & elsewhere.

This is not paradise on earth, but it is a wonderful country & I don't regret coming for one second.
Yes, agree with you.
I forgot to mention , I`m not bringing my family now.
I will go first, they will come after me, when everything is settled , and hopefully everything is OK (maybe 6 months or more ) .
I don`t want to put them into a situation, when nothing is sure.
I can go back if things goes wrong and say "sorry, I couldn't`t make it " , but I need to be responsible for them.
Cost of living... I know the figures , this is why I`m looking for work around PEI or New Brunswick area ( Nova Scotia ? ) with not much luck.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

How much money should I bring with me for the first few months ?
( sorry , but I could not find any info about this )

I was thinking about CAD 10.000 - 15.000.
Do you think this is enough till I will be able to work alone ?
( driving licence , air brake test, training etc. )
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by htrucker
How much money should I bring with me for the first few months ?
( sorry , but I could not find any info about this )

I was thinking about CAD 10.000 - 15.000.
Do you think this is enough till I will be able to work alone ?
( driving licence , air brake test, training etc. )
On your own? I bought $3000 Cdn. I left the rest at home. The maritimes is not cheaper than elsewhere. That is a load of rubbish. You change money it costs you. Buy nothing you don't need, leave the rest at home. Your family will need supporting don't forget, so leave them enough to be secure. When you're sure its all working out consider if they would be better with you. Your wife might have her own ideas about where she wants to live? Try & get it right, it saves loads of grief.

The single biggest factor that is common on PEI is that the drivers with families here find it very hard financially with only one wage. One English guy just went home for this reason. I have been cautious & not bought anything since I've been here (6 weeks) when I got paid last Thursday I had $3000 again. Thats after paying my test fees, permit etc... and $575 rent in a "motel"... I have not bought a car, nothing. My wife is coming over in July to have a good look round & see some people regarding work. Then we'll have a chat, one step at a time.

Some may disagree with my approach, feeling it lacks commitment. But its the way I'm doing it. I've read too many horror stories to jump in with both feet & catch a (financial) cold.
Old Jun 1st 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I was in my garden last night pottering arround, did some mowing, sat and enjoyed a beer on the deck with the wife, watched the humming birds hover and zip arround our flowers.
I was "carting in" grass silage with a 230hp Claas Axion tractor and Kane 16t steering axle half pipe silage trailer from a new Claas 970 forager with 750 twin engined "ponies" under its rear end!!!!!!
Sun was blazing, CB was cackling with "craic" from the rest of the 7 man team and you can't beat the smell of fresh cut grass!!!!
Getting paid to help these boys out is like playing 18 holes of golf to me and you can't beat the smiling faces of my two wee boys when they ride along with me.

See working 4on/4off along with having 280hours hoildays(not counting public holidays) every year means I CAN enjoy a life away from work for more than 2/3 days at a time.

Got to go into my normal job tomorrow on short notice OT@ double time,almost £400 gross for a 12 hour shift( I DON'T DRIVE A TIPPER) so I think I'll stick around this terrible country for a while longer!!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Seen as we are bragging about quality of life ...

I have just spent a long weekend in Waterton National Park with my family and 30 ft Travel Trailer

Somehow N.I. just dosen't quite compare ...
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Right on KB, Canada at its best.

£400 a shift... Paddy the pole dancer!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

A polish guy came over with Big Freight in 2007 at the same time as me.
He has done well enough for himself and his wife/kids, etc. They are all very happy as far as i know and his wife has a good office job in Winnipeg.
His English is quite good but if you are really not using a translator it is not better than yours htrucker or perhaps not even as good as yours.
He got through the written tests Ok although maybe he did find them more of a challenge but the important thing is he passed them.
One thing that did slow him slightly is the fact that a Polish drivers license for cars can not be traded for the Canadian one so he had to sit his car test before he could even get the class one provisional.
Also as a Polish citizen he was not able to apply for an I94 visa waiver to get into the states and instead he had to have an interview at the US embassy in Vancouver where he was issued a 10 year visa.
I don't think any of these things were a big problem or difficult to overcome. They just meant that it was slightly longer before he could get out on the road and start earning wages.
You sound as if you have got the right kind of attitude to make it here htrucker and i hope that you do.
Personally if i were you i would be aiming for the Prairie provinces of Manitoba or Saskatchewan. There is a tradition of Mennonite immigration here and many of the towns were actually founded by settlers from the Ukraine, Russia and what is now east Germany.
Have you tried Bison and Big Freight?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Big Truck
I was "carting in" grass silage with a 230hp Claas Axion tractor and Kane 16t steering axle half pipe silage trailer from a new Claas 970 forager with 750 twin engined "ponies" under its rear end!!!!!!
Sun was blazing, CB was cackling with "craic" from the rest of the 7 man team and you can't beat the smell of fresh cut grass!!!!
Getting paid to help these boys out is like playing 18 holes of golf to me and you can't beat the smiling faces of my two wee boys when they ride along with me.

See working 4on/4off along with having 280hours hoildays(not counting public holidays) every year means I CAN enjoy a life away from work for more than 2/3 days at a time.

Got to go into my normal job tomorrow on short notice OT@ double time,almost £400 gross for a 12 hour shift( I DON'T DRIVE A TIPPER) so I think I'll stick around this terrible country for a while longer!!!!!
Blazing sun! Yes! I was there yesterday (just going back on Stranraer ferry), and the weather was the same last week when i was there.
Stop biting when gremmie throws the corn, he's an asshole who likes attention of any kind.

P.S. I still preffered driving in Canada/USA, but no matter how hard a worker you are, or how commited, if you don't lick up with some companie, the miles WILL stop coming.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.