Life so far in Canada

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Life so far in Canada

Originally Posted by arrrobbbie
Oh please!I could not wait to get out of Canada.It truly is a nasty place to live.I only went over for a year just to experience North america.God I don't know how anyone lives there.One woman described it very well for me.She said Canada was a cold ,miserable country full of cold ,miserable people.That's it to a T.Actually the Americans are a much friendlier people.It's just to bad they live to work instead of the reverse.I personally am trying to let the world know how backwards Canada is and to try and dissuade people from even contemplating moving there.
So you went back to Scotland, a cold and miserable place full of cold and miserble people
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

arrrobbbie

You have to accept Canada is not Scotland. The last time I went to your territory all I got was the same as you describe in Canada.

I find Canadians friendly people, not at all the way you describe them. It is their country & some things are very different to Europe. Which is why some people come here. It is wrong to condemn a country in the way you have that is as huge as Canada.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Oh please!I could not wait to get out of Canada.It truly is a nasty place to live.I only went over for a year just to experience North america.God I don't know how anyone lives there.One woman described it very well for me.She said Canada was a cold ,miserable country full of cold ,miserable people.That's it to a T.Actually the Americans are a much friendlier people.It's just to bad they live to work instead of the reverse.I personally am trying to let the world know how backwards Canada is and to try and dissuade people from even contemplating moving there.
Obviously never even been to Canada

So stop Trolling and go elsewhere

BTW Enjoy your 20% Vat next year

Last edited by kb33; Jun 22nd 2010 at 3:20 pm.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

htrucker is an unknown quantity at this point

You just woke up in the morning and you have decided to register here just to say this ?
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
Obviously never even been to Canada

So stop Trolling and go elsewhere

BTW Enjoy your 20% Vat next year

How exciting BT and a troll, I had better clear my diary, don't want to miss the fireworks.....take no notice anybody thinking of coming out here Canada is wonderful just be careful who you work for !!

BTW not so sure about moving province now.. we have the pool up and the island is gorgeous at the moment. Will see what develops....
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

htrucker is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Sorry, I have a very silly question .( I know it is ..)
How does it look a "job offer" ?
Is it a contract of employment signed by the company and me ?

Thanks
Old Jun 24th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lilacheart
How exciting BT and a troll, I had better clear my diary, don't want to miss the fireworks.....take no notice anybody thinking of coming out here Canada is wonderful just be careful who you work for !!

BTW not so sure about moving province now.. we have the pool up and the island is gorgeous at the moment. Will see what develops....
JEEEEEEZ you need help, i will be home soon to talk some sense into you dear
LOL....

Loafy...
Old Jul 1st 2010, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

forzacfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loafy
JEEEEEEZ you need help, i will be home soon to talk some sense into you dear
LOL....

Loafy...
Hello Loafy / Gremmie
Sorry going off topic slightly, just been reading H&R Trans forum all 26 pages - hope your both still trucking ok, can you tell me what happened to Lyndon001 - I cant find any posts regarding how he was fairing after aug 07.

Im possibly thinking of coming over me self in near future still toying with idea - Ive done 2 years class A regional in US, 6 years ago now, only advantage is one of my fellow drivers brother is still with H&R after 3.5 years now and fully settled and loving it in Lethbridge.

73,s
Mark
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

I have a nasty feeling that this is Canada wide , I hope I am wrong
I was trolling through the entire 16 odd pages till I came to this little snippet.

Healthcare here has the NHS stuffed and served as cold cuts. After my accident last year I was patched and healed really well. The follow up stuff, like reflexology, was all tax deductible and was far superior to the UK systems. I was able to call the hospital and get a repeat prescription over the phone when I ran out of T3s. The surgery I had earlier last year was a 3 month wait and no hassles, no silly delays.. My wife has some massive health issues and they are looking after her really well too.
So no, if the healthcare system on PEI is not great then that is a provincial problem.

As for the trucking firms.. Sure enough, some have bad press and some deserve it. Others do not. As Wire says, BFS are a good way of gaining experience in Canada. I even got 2 years on the ice roads with them as you know. The only reason I left was because of a personal falling out with someone in the office who simply pushed me too far. If he had been fired sooner, I may well still have been there. As it is, KSW treat me incredibly well. Because of my injuroes I could no longer do flat deck but they put me on vans without any trouble at all. I could not have asked to be treated better.

In answer to the OP. We are approaching 5 years here now. I have not found anything to complain about except for other immigrants continually whinging about this and that without ever remembering that they left the UK for a reason in the first place. If their memories are really that kind that they feel the UK is better then I want some of what they are smoking..
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Just to let you in on a little secret:

95% of the ex-UK guys who drive truck for a living in Canada,
SPEND MOST OF THEIR TIME DRIVING IN THE USA!!!!!!
Nonsense. I spend about half my time in the USA. I am here as a permanant resident with a legal and formal social security number which will last for considerably longer than a 3 month stint in a Dakota field. Come on. Andy, find some new material. Your comedy act was funny- once- but is so thin now it is getting holes in it.

You are still throwing stones at Wire and Gremmie yet you still know little enough that you have no real credence.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

I am curious wire, what would you have done if after the hardest year of your life you had 3 choices...stay there and have another difficult year...leave and go back to the uk or change jobs?

This was the dilemma we faced we didn't have the option of a fantastic long haul job waiting in the wings
Let me tell you something, and Wire can back me up.

In the first year of being here my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and 10 days after that my wife was diagnosed with cancer, although not terminal thankfully.

In truth, that was the worst year of my life. My wife went back to the UK for the treatment because it made more sense that way. Wherever we were, I would have had to work and daily trips to the hospital would have made that impossible. Thanks to the support of friends and family, both here and in the UK, and to the support from Bigfreight who got me routed through the home terminal as often as possible, who never asked me to renew my passenger waiver, who never once questioned how I did the job, both my son and I were able to remain here in Canada, to maintain the house and to keep things going for my wifes return.

Into the bargain, I made some really great friends, all Canadians. Since then, my wife has had ongoing medical difficulties and we have continued to be helped by these people. When she was admitted to hospital recently, even the schoolbus driver dropped cookies in to cheer her up. Another thing, the school and the bus driver actually broke the law to help us out. There was never any question that they wouldn't help- they made that perfectly clear from the moment we told them about the trouble.

So think on that. It was a grim time and we were carried on the shoulders of fantastic people. I owe them, and I always will. I owe the province of Manitoba, too, who let us stay here and gain our residency even when my wife was not certain to go into remission.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bobthedog
Let me tell you something, and Wire can back me up.

In the first year of being here my mother was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and 10 days after that my wife was diagnosed with cancer, although not terminal thankfully.

In truth, that was the worst year of my life. My wife went back to the UK for the treatment because it made more sense that way. Wherever we were, I would have had to work and daily trips to the hospital would have made that impossible. Thanks to the support of friends and family, both here and in the UK, and to the support from Bigfreight who got me routed through the home terminal as often as possible, who never asked me to renew my passenger waiver, who never once questioned how I did the job, both my son and I were able to remain here in Canada, to maintain the house and to keep things going for my wifes return.

Into the bargain, I made some really great friends, all Canadians. Since then, my wife has had ongoing medical difficulties and we have continued to be helped by these people. When she was admitted to hospital recently, even the schoolbus driver dropped cookies in to cheer her up. Another thing, the school and the bus driver actually broke the law to help us out. There was never any question that they wouldn't help- they made that perfectly clear from the moment we told them about the trouble.

So think on that. It was a grim time and we were carried on the shoulders of fantastic people. I owe them, and I always will. I owe the province of Manitoba, too, who let us stay here and gain our residency even when my wife was not certain to go into remission.

Can I ask why you are quoting my post , I can't really see any link to the direct question I asked wire...I also think your situation is unusual and would not be considered the norm.

However it is nice to hear your wife is better and how great the support is in canada
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobthedog
I was trolling through the entire 16 odd pages till I came to this little snippet.

Healthcare here has the NHS stuffed and served as cold cuts. After my accident last year I was patched and healed really well. The follow up stuff, like reflexology, was all tax deductible and was far superior to the UK systems. I was able to call the hospital and get a repeat prescription over the phone when I ran out of T3s. The surgery I had earlier last year was a 3 month wait and no hassles, no silly delays.. My wife has some massive health issues and they are looking after her really well too.
So no, if the healthcare system on PEI is not great then that is a provincial problem.

As for the trucking firms.. Sure enough, some have bad press and some deserve it. Others do not. As Wire says, BFS are a good way of gaining experience in Canada. I even got 2 years on the ice roads with them as you know. The only reason I left was because of a personal falling out with someone in the office who simply pushed me too far. If he had been fired sooner, I may well still have been there. As it is, KSW treat me incredibly well. Because of my injuroes I could no longer do flat deck but they put me on vans without any trouble at all. I could not have asked to be treated better.

In answer to the OP. We are approaching 5 years here now. I have not found anything to complain about except for other immigrants continually whinging about this and that without ever remembering that they left the UK for a reason in the first place. If their memories are really that kind that they feel the UK is better then I want some of what they are smoking..
Glad it is not canada wide. I cannot fault the hospital staff who looked after my father in law when he had a heart attack here, they were wonderful.

However the waitng times are horrendous in A and E. A huge amount of islanders don't actually have a GP so have to go to walk in clinics and have to wait hours, This is bad for people with ongoing issues no continuity of care. It is very time consuming if you just need a repeat perscription.

We only have one paediatric dentist on the island and he charges what he likes and you can't even get a second opinion , the dentist who has to do tricky extractions is known as the butcher and most leave with more problems than they went in with.

The biggest problem is there are very few places that offer medical cover . Even big companies like UHAUL don't do it. Out of about 30 expats I know only about 10 have healthcover with their employment...I stand by my original quote that healthcare is dire in PEI
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

I only got registered with a GP this year. Up till then I was never around when an opening occurred so simply couldn't get registered. The wife and boy were sorted, though, and that was all that mattered as I am quite happy to sew things up if necessary and carry all I need with me as a rule. Walk in clinics always sufficed for me.
Dentists are a problem everywhere. I couldn't get registered with a dentist in the UK either, and would rather pull my own teeth than go to a dentist anyway. (they just about need the RCMP to control me)

I don't know about elsewhere, but I never really gave it much of a thought. When I stopped breathing in Winnipeg Health Sciences it was like a scene out of Casualty and everyone leaped into action. I was very impressed, and they didn't seem at all worried about costs.

Medical insurance is another matter entirely. If drivers go into the States then they have to be covered by law. At home it is another story, but there are lots of companies that offer family cover for a set rate which is more than adequate should the need arise.

I quoted your post because you seemed to be asking Wire a "what if" question which had definately been our situation. It was for context only.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

It is a shame there is such a shortage of health care proffessionals, I must admit once you do get to see the GP's and hospital staff they are brilliant. It is just waiting times..

I agree dentists are prob terrible everywhere, the problem on the island is that you have no choice who you see , It is these individuals or nobody.

The paediatric dentist wanted to crown 3 of my 6 years olds BABY teeth to the merry tune of $1200. He was seeing him because he is the only dentist who can use laughing gas. I was needing laughing gas when we received the quote, I was bordering on hysteria, needless to say we are not going to use this bloke

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.