Life so far in Canada

Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life so far in Canada

Originally Posted by lilacheart
I am curious wire, what would you have done if after the hardest year of your life you had 3 choices...stay there and have another difficult year...leave and go back to the uk or change jobs?

This was the dilemma we faced we didn't have the option of a fantastic long haul job waiting in the wings

We were told by the HR manager when we came on our reccie that we would ony need to do it for a year then when we had PR we could leave. We were actually at that point determined we would not be leaving and we could take whatever they dished out....wrong!

We were very hopeful that the horror stories were exagerated . The only reason I came back on here was to update our situation and give people coming a clear idea about what is going on. Families recently are not even staying till they get PR they are leaving after a few months, we didn't quit but it was hard. I spent months researching it on the internet but the cold reality is very different.

I understood the procudures and was ready for every single one , what we were not ready for was the complete indifference of a company which sees Europe as an endless supply of short term drivers. They get heavily subsidised by the goverment for doing it so they don't give a toss if you quit
I can certainly satisfy your curiosity for you. After my first year i found myself in that exact situation. My decision was to carry on with the flat deck job in fact and in fact quite a few of my mates are still there to this day.
However quite by chance i met my present boss when i gave a guy a lift to work one day. It just so happened that his boss was just in the process of buying another truck and as i had just become a permanent resident of Canada he asked me if i would be interested in working for him. The job is pulling a reefer instead of flatdeck and the truck is really top spec as well as the mileage rate being higher and actual available miles being more. (I mostly run Mexico in bond freight and the southern US in general) so the choice was easy to make at the time.
In short i consider it to be as good a job as it is possible to have and i love it.
The thing is this:..I have a suspicion that many of the drivers who this thread refers to would not consider it a good job at all. I think they would say that i have to run to hard. I average over 20,000kms a month every month of the year and sometimes can be out for several weeks at a time although 10-21 days is more average.
This suits me down to the ground as i am a longhaul trucker and this is exactly what i always expected from Canada.
However i honestly think that many of the guys who come over as so called career long distance men have very different expectations and so are ultimately and inevitably disappointed.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

I am pleased you had an oppurtunity come up that worked out well for you. We were not so fortunate.

Don't get me wrong we didn't come out and expect an easy ride. If you knew me you would be very surprised that we have decided to leave. We were one of the first families out here and have tried to be a very positive influence on other families that have come since.

When we announced we were leaving to say people were shocked is an understatement, the fact we have not moaned and whinged for the past 3 years did not mean we have not found it difficult. I am disappointed it hasn't worked out for us long term we love the island. The boys would have a nice life here but the harsh reality is they would leave as young adults because there is no real chance of a decent job after university. We may as well all leave now and stand a chance of staying together

We now feel emotionally and physically able to take this to a new level it just means it will be in a different province....and hubby may even go back into trucking..

Last edited by lilacheart; Jun 14th 2010 at 12:21 am.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 1:32 am
Just Joined

AndyGayle is an unknown quantity at this point

Well....this is a really interesting thread. I have been at Bulk for 14months now and yes it was rubbish to begin with but if u get on and do your work without constantly complaining and saying your leaving the company every 2 mins then you'll be treated reasonably well. Granted the work is not that great but it's the same across the board according to the Canadian drivers i've met on the road. Don't come if you can't work for a living.
I am pissed off with all the negativity. Some British drivers come over here with the idea that they are above everybody else, but forget that they are now immigrants and must realise that they have to start at the bottom of the ladder. Common sense i think!
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyGayle
Well....this is a really interesting thread. I have been at Bulk for 14months now and yes it was rubbish to begin with but if u get on and do your work without constantly complaining and saying your leaving the company every 2 mins then you'll be treated reasonably well. Granted the work is not that great but it's the same across the board according to the Canadian drivers i've met on the road. Don't come if you can't work for a living.
I am pissed off with all the negativity. Some British drivers come over here with the idea that they are above everybody else, but forget that they are now immigrants and must realise that they have to start at the bottom of the ladder. Common sense i think!
Well said.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alandoug
The tacho? What would happen if our tabloids got hold of a juicy morsel like that?

It does surprise me that the average Canadian tolerates so much. Loblaws & the grossly over priced food. Low wages. The cost of just about everything is way over what it costs in the US. Clothing & winter gear. I reckon 50% on top of US prices? Someone is making alot of money screwing Joe Canada through the wall. Fingers in pies & well lined pockets getting another bung.

Bet if you got even close to it, you'd be deported... at the very least.
Well everything would be expensive if you only earn $3000 a month,
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gremmie

Must be a PEI thing , Because we don't find cost of living in Alberta any more expensive than the UK , Food is about the same (Beef really cheap ) Motoring is way cheaper apart from insurance which is more expensive, But drive around Calgary and watch some of the antics the locals get up to and you can see why !
Also no PST here and I think its 10% on PEI ? Plus wages are better here as well.

If you're not happy in the Province that sponsored you, Move to another part of Canada , And take no notice at some of the comments on this thread. At the end of the day you do what's right for you and your family.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Gremmie that does not make sense, it dosen't matter if you earn 5k a month it's still exspensive to live here as they are upping the prices not by a lot but enough to make you think that is by far cheaper on the mainland, and if someone says well you have to pay for transport and all that stuff then they are truly wrong in this day and age. They have that cost covered in already when they field out for tenders.
Simple equation here four chicken breasts at stupid store last week were on for $12+ and then next week on special buy one get one free they were nearly doubled in price so in reality you were not getting one for free. Robbing bastards comes to mind EH.

Loafy...
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
Must be a PEI thing , Because we don't find cost of living in Alberta any more expensive than the UK , Food is about the same (Beef really cheap ) Motoring is way cheaper apart from insurance which is more expensive, But drive around Calgary and watch some of the antics the locals get up to and you can see why !
Also no PST here and I think its 10% on PEI ? Plus wages are better here as well.

If you're not happy in the Province that sponsored you, Move to another part of Canada , And take no notice at some of the comments on this thread. At the end of the day you do what's right for you and your family.
I agree with that so im off ASAP.
By the way ins here is pretty cheap i have to say, Food is not. Tools and hardware stuff very cheap on the whole.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by loafy
I agree with that so im off ASAP.
By the way ins here is pretty cheap i have to say, Food is not. Tools and hardware stuff very cheap on the whole.
Good for you

Where you going ?

Must admit my garage looks like a Dewalt Warehouse at the moment

Could never afford that stuff in the UK
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

$3000 a month, that would be wonderful....lol
Old Jun 14th 2010, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loafy
Gremmie that does not make sense, it dosen't matter if you earn 5k a month it's still exspensive to live here as they are upping the prices not by a lot but enough to make you think that is by far cheaper on the mainland, and if someone says well you have to pay for transport and all that stuff then they are truly wrong in this day and age. They have that cost covered in already when they field out for tenders.
Simple equation here four chicken breasts at stupid store last week were on for $12+ and then next week on special buy one get one free they were nearly doubled in price so in reality you were not getting one for free. Robbing bastards comes to mind EH.

Loafy...
Off course it makes sense Loafy, coz the ratio of income to out going is higher.

As for the old nutmeg of " Pay for transport " well heres a simple example of what BS that excuse is.
eg.
A full load of strawberries 44000lbs on Loafies truck costs $5000 transport cost which equates to 0.1136 cents per pound.
The same load on Gremmies truck will cost you $6000 for the same trip, this equates to 0.1363 cents per pound.
So allthough i charge $1000 more for doing the same job the actual cost increase per pound is only 0.0227cents.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Truck
Northern Ireland is where I was born and raised and I love it here.
But you obviously don't read the news or know what is really going on in certain parts!!!

My job is totally irrelevent to this thread BUT I don't like to be told I'm "scared" with "no balls" to go and drive a truck for a living in Canada when I know it would be a "walk in the park"(working for free excluded!!!!) compared to what I've done for the past 21 years.

BTW,
what is EI on PEI,drawing the dole/brew?
the relevance to your job and how much you claim to earn is because you are linking it to living in n.ireland and it in your eyes is one of the most dangerous places in the western world. i would say i have a fair knowledge about living here and what goes on and particularly in more recent times it is a lot safer than a lot of places,but then if i want to bullshit people i could spoof about dodging bullets and bombs every day on my way home from work. those people who do up sticks and give it a go are braver than you will ever be by sitting on here lecturing people on things of which you have no personal experience .with all your money and experience why dont you actually go and do the walk in the park.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by karron
the relevance to your job and how much you claim to earn is because you are linking it to living in n.ireland and it in your eyes is one of the most dangerous places in the western world. i would say i have a fair knowledge about living here and what goes on and particularly in more recent times it is a lot safer than a lot of places,but then if i want to bullshit people i could spoof about dodging bullets and bombs every day on my way home from work. those people who do up sticks and give it a go are braver than you will ever be by sitting on here lecturing people on things of which you have no personal experience .with all your money and experience why dont you actually go and do the walk in the park.
Or off the cliff
Old Jun 14th 2010, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

I wouldn't bother , He as heard it all before from numerous posters on here including myself !

Now I just see it as entertainment and take anything he says with a large dose of salt and its all part of the banter some of us have on here
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

YOU have not got the faintest idea what you are talking about!!!!
Please show me were I said NI is "one of the most dangerous places in the western world"?

Why would I want to voluntarily leave a dam good job were I only work on average 14 days a month,earn £40k/year and will (fingers crossed) be able to retire on my nice FAT pension in six years time?!!!!!!

Have you read what is happening to ex-UK truckers here and over on BTA over the past year or so?
If so,do you reckon its a good time to emigrate to Canada then?!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Jun 14th 2010 at 10:33 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.