Life so far in Canada

Old Jun 10th 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Life so far in Canada

Originally Posted by lilacheart
Sorry we pinched the thread, it is great to be back I hadn't realised how much I missed the debates/ fights

Well I'll give you one big minus on PEI..... Healthcare is garbage. Makes the NHS look efficient.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

I have a nasty feeling that this is Canada wide , I hope I am wrong
Old Jun 12th 2010, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Hey look all the knives are out again. Kewl.
SFE and Bulk are the pits of the island and that said the bosses are making money so good for them and stupid us for coming here to work for them, then again i never saw much to tell me otherwise apart from one thread which in all honesty didn't hold much credit. I came here to see for myself and then decide what and where to go or do next. I left SFE and now drive for midland, I make good money on the whole and the job is dedicated runs and a peace of piss to boot. Still they have there amateur moments and you throw your toys out the pram every now and again. Every transport company i have worked for has been no different in this respect. North american trucking is different to europe but not by much. Those that come here wherever that is have to start a new life not a new start in another place.
Kerry has done well and a few others too that we know but is now seeing the true colours of this place, after a few years here their is nothing much that you have not done and winter is even worse. Food is a rip off and not of the best standard, then again it came from toronto or cambridge on a SFE, Bulk truck which took all day to load and then rush the 15 or so hrs to moncton to sit on a bay for another half a day and then maybe leave for the island to reach the shops. Nearly all the stuff here is trucked in and then their is the bridge which gets a lot of blame for the extra cost, so it was cheaper before the bridge, no it was the ferries so nothing has changed their. Dont get me wrong its a joy to live here and great scenery all around even in the winter. No traffic, very little in the way of crime if any that would be on your door. But its not enough for us europeans i guess.
We are doing fine but have wanted to leave here for further fields for a while and will be leaving here for the mainland as soon as we can or further a field.
So far our experience has been a good but ups and down all the way.

LOAFY...
Old Jun 12th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kb33
Hey Bt H&R are holding interviews in Dublin , think you should go along and talk to your old mate Lyndon ..lol
Yes Kev,
if I had the time I would love to go down there and go on a "H+R driver wind-up" with my ole buddy Lyndon.
Would be good to see just what would be said when I asked a few "awkward" questions and to see if he would actually answer them for once!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Big Truck
If you gain PR there(PEI) and want to seek employment other than long haul truck driving,WHAT ELSE IS THERE?!!!!!!
I am asking the above question again?
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

There are lots of jobs on the island but most of them are seasonal and you need to go on EI every 6 months or low paid.......I have already said this
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

big truck,the seeker of truth and justice ffs do want to go to canada or not ? if you do,get off your arse and do it,you already know enough about it. if you dont,go on the farming websites and discuss combines etc and ask to get a sticky made here for big trucks guide to trucking in canada then let the people decide for themselves.
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karron
big truck,the seeker of truth and justice ffs do want to go to canada or not ? if you do,get off your arse and do it,you already know enough about it. if you dont,go on the farming websites and discuss combines etc and ask to get a sticky made here for big trucks guide to trucking in canada then let the people decide for themselves.
Well I had to do something to spark this forum back into life didn't I ?!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 12th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

no.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

I am asking the above question again?
Well er nothing here really, unless you know someone or know a way to get in to somewhere. Wages are low here and have been told that it's always been this way for a long time. This place is good for tourists and old follk lol.

Loafy...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karron
lol...I think BT is just a frustrated and scared wannabe, even though we are changing province I would not have changed this experience for anything, this is what he will never understand unless he grows some ba&*s and stops living through other peoples experiences.

Yes this forum is great and it is nice to see some old timers back but unfortunatley we will all have to keep justifying/explaining things to BT
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Yes Kev,
if I had the time I would love to go down there and go on a "H+R driver wind-up" with my ole buddy Lyndon.
Would be good to see just what would be said when I asked a few "awkward" questions and to see if he would actually answer them for once!!!!

I'm sure he would love to have a chat with you as well ..
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

lol...I think BT is just a frustrated and scared wannabe, even though we are changing province I would not have changed this experience for anything, this is what he will never understand unless he grows some ba&*s and stops living through other peoples experiences.

Yes this forum is great and it is nice to see some old timers back but unfortunatley we will all have to keep justifying/explaining things to BT

Well you see if you care to look back over some old posts (think it was on the Seafood thread) I warned you ALL about what employment prospects there were on PEI if you didn't want to drive long haul for the rest of your life!!!!!
It doesn't take a "degree in common sense" to realise that an economy as small as that on PEI would mean the hassle/stress/expense of moving away to another province to find more "family friendly" employment could've been avoided by starting off in this better province in the FIRST place.

But then again who am I (still very happy here in this terrible UK) to give advice to you smart people,AS I KNOW NOTHING!!!!!!!

BTW,

For all those who "THINK" I am anti-Canada:

A long time ago my mother and I actually emigrated to Canada and lived with her brother and his family in Vancouver for nine months while my father tried to sell his electical contracting business here at home.
My Mum got homesick and returned to NI before my father made it out and two of my cousins still live in Calgary and are Canadian Citizens by birth and I don't hate Canada!!!!!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lol...I think BT is just a frustrated and scared wannabe, unless he grows some ba&*s
You think so?

I work in one of the most dangerous places in the Western world were not so long ago certain people feared to tread,thats why I can get paid £400 for a 12/hour shift.
The only thing that scares me is the dentist and the last I checked the balls are still there!!!!

As I've said before:
Move to Canada? TEDDY BEARS PICNIC!!!!!!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

We do not regret coming here, we have loved the island. It was one of a few provinces that allowed us to us the pnp. Ontario was not an option although it would have been our preferred choice.

The island has been great for us all, we have PR, The boys have been in great schools and would have been changing schools this September anyway

We have made great friends for life and have had a great support network

The trucking companies are dire but we knew this, it feels like a distant memory. I run a very sucesssful daycare and employ an expat. I will do this again in Ontario I have researched the market and know it is achievable, all in all we are doing very well. We are just looking for a change, there is a whole world out there and we are going to explore it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.