Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Just trucking, not emigrating

Just trucking, not emigrating

Old Apr 19th 2009, 4:29 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just trucking, not emigrating

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I'll gladly be your friend too and i'm really glad you found a new job, hope the friggin wp comes through soon..
On my lap is nothing, the wound hurts still to put anything on there..
As you know we have discussed the problem of people coming across and "abussing' the PNP system,ie, gaining PR then jumping ship, or the other group that just want the adventure,ergo taking the job away from possible true immigrants,which the OP intends to do here..
I abused the system
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:36 am
Just Joined

cberna is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dinger24
Iam no expert by any means (I am sure others will answer this better) however each province has slightly different rules. In general you can drive for 90 days on your own licence, car only. After that you apply for a Canadian licence. You are not permitted to drive any other vehicle above car until you have sat the required tests and exams.
I think you should also consider starting a new thread in future s we have now hijacked the OP! (sorry)
Hey,
I forgot to say that I have thought to go to BC, although I've listened about Saskatchewan too. If someone could tell me something, nice to hear your comments.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

HeadingNorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by koogar
I abused the system
Not really-you're still in North America you're just below the 49th. parallel!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by berewic
Hi, I'm still in the UK and have seen trucking jobs in Canada advertised over here, (UK) for the last few years.
My question is, is it possible to jump on a plane, fly to Canada and start work without having to fill in millions of forms and take hundreds of tests, or have my life laid out for all and sundry to see?

How much effort is involved if I'm not planning on living in Canada, just planning on working in Canada.

I'm in my early 50's and have been trucking UK/Europe/N Africa since I first got my HGV at 21.
If you don't want to emigrate why not try driving a truck on a USA harvest run for 6/10 months?
You will have to fill out a few forms for the H2A temp work visa and you will have to take the CDL driving test which will take about 60 minutes!!!

Have a "Jeff Duke" at these:
www.taylorharvesting.com
www.hollandharvesting.com
www.demarayharvesting.com
www.frederickharvesting.com
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I abused the system

He tried to abuse me but i was to quick
Old Apr 19th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
If you don't want to emigrate why not try driving a truck on a USA harvest run for 6/10 months?
You will have to fill out a few forms for the H2A temp work visa and you will have to take the CDL driving test which will take about 60 minutes!!!

www.taylorharvesting.com
I thought you would have been the first to recognise the OP was a fellow TROLL
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:54 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gremmie
He tried to abuse me but i was to quick
That was your own fault for wearing a dress
Old Apr 21st 2009, 2:57 am
Whatacomplete Member

www.taylorharvesting.com
Geoff Duke?
Are you talking about the motorbike racer here or someone else?
Not heard that name since I lived on the Isle of Man.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Geoff Duke?
Are you talking about the motorbike racer here or someone else?
Not heard that name since I lived on the Isle of Man.
Koogs,
"Jeff Duke" is a slang term here in N.Ireland for having a look.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Koogs,

its the irish version of " Cockney rhyming slang" but this is all they could come up with
Old Apr 24th 2009, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

''Irish'' ??

Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:43 am
Whatacomplete Member

Koogs,
lol.. I understand what it meant.
I just wondered if the Geoff Duke they'd used in this rhyming slang was the racer or someone else.
Not really relevent, I know, but I just wondered.
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

boots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud ofboots has much to be proud of

With the harvesting H2B Visa thingy,did in 2002.
I realise I was never going to make $$ but was severley dissapointed in the ,lets say"Hours and duties involved"42 days straight with a minimum of 18 hour work day.
Would have another go at it if there were reputable people to work for and were honest up front.
And they wondered why we had so many "Bolters"?
Old May 4th 2009, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

lol.. I understand what it meant.
I just wondered if the Geoff Duke they'd used in this rhyming slang was the racer or someone else.
Not really relevent, I know, but I just wondered.
The slang could well stem from that famous road racer but I'm not honestly sure.
Old May 4th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by boots
With the harvesting H2B Visa thingy,did in 2002.
I realise I was never going to make $$ but was severley dissapointed in the ,lets say"Hours and duties involved"42 days straight with a minimum of 18 hour work day.
Would have another go at it if there were reputable people to work for and were honest up front.
And they wondered why we had so many "Bolters"?
The above four harvest companies I mentioned are of the highest repute and one of them (Fredricks) featured in a USA harvest DVD made by a British company(Dylan Winter productions) called "Custom Cutters".
Available via mail order at www.oldpond.com
It followed the Fredrick(KW trucks) and Farris(Peterbilt trucks) harvest crews all over the mid-west in 2005 and my two little boys are VERY avid fans of that DVD and so is their Dad!!!

It gives a great insight into the harvest run and how you go about it and whats involved.