Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

info about truck driving in canada

info about truck driving in canada

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice
Default info about truck driving in canada

Hi all here we go. I was a truck driver in the UK from 81 to 98 when I injured my left knee which had to have a knee fusion.

In 2013 I had the fusion removed and a TKR done which means I can bend my leg again.

I was thinking about buying my own truck for long haul but first work for a Canadian company for 12 months

here are my questions.

1 will they take my experience from all the years driving class one in the UK and Europe.
2 what kind of pay am I looking at.
3 is it worth going back into truck driving at 54
ps I am a citizen in Canada and living in Calgary

Andrew
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough
Default Re: info about truck driving in canada

Hi.
I would imagine you wont have a problem finding an employer, as you are a citizen of Canada, however I dont know about your license,you may have to retrain. I am returning to Canada after a 5 year absence, I have to complete a truck driving test again.
You could contact the local Government in the Province you are wanting to return to, they will give you the answer.

With being a citizen, you may be able to become owner operator immediately,
This is purely an educational guess.
Best of luck though.

Originally Posted by firefox
Hi all here we go. I was a truck driver in the UK from 81 to 98 when I injured my left knee which had to have a knee fusion.

In 2013 I had the fusion removed and a TKR done which means I can bend my leg again.

I was thinking about buying my own truck for long haul but first work for a Canadian company for 12 months

here are my questions.

1 will they take my experience from all the years driving class one in the UK and Europe.

Andrew
Old Sep 4th 2013, 8:25 am
Just Joined

simoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nice

Hi Andrew.

I too am thinking of zipping over to Canada and trying my luck. I have a friend who works for Loblaws out of Regina but to be honest, Regina doesn't do much for me. Flat Prairie land and a 100kph speed limiter just reminds me of that long road down to Lyon through the night !!
I used to be an O/O in the states before a divorce saw my return to the UK in 2007.
I'm now re-married and my wife has a Can passport, so no issues for her either and with my US passport I don't see any big issues for me either.
My friend in Regina said that Edmonton might be preferable over Calgary but as I have no idea of either I was wondering if you could give me a heads up.
Maybe even some advice on trucking companies who may assist in the whole move over there as Loblaws do. I'm not necessarily looking at Loblaws as the only employer but as I'm now 50, i need to look to my limited future...
Any info gratefully received.
Simon
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2royalgreenjackets
Hi.
I would imagine you wont have a problem finding an employer, as you are a citizen of Canada, however I dont know about your license,you may have to retrain. I am returning to Canada after a 5 year absence, I have to complete a truck driving test again.
You could contact the local Government in the Province you are wanting to return to, they will give you the answer.

With being a citizen, you may be able to become owner operator immediately,
This is purely an educational guess.
Best of luck though.
The man with the multi colourd coat returns
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firefox

here are my questions.

Andrew
Canada is so desperate for drivers they will listen to any old BS,,,, if you've got a class1 you will get a job no problem..
Old Sep 7th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simoncdl
Hi Andrew.

I too am thinking of zipping over to Canada and trying my luck. I have a friend who works for Loblaws out of Regina but to be honest, Regina doesn't do much for me. Flat Prairie land and a 100kph speed limiter just reminds me of that long road down to Lyon through the night !!
I used to be an O/O in the states before a divorce saw my return to the UK in 2007.
I'm now re-married and my wife has a Can passport, so no issues for her either and with my US passport I don't see any big issues for me either.
My friend in Regina said that Edmonton might be preferable over Calgary but as I have no idea of either I was wondering if you could give me a heads up.
Maybe even some advice on trucking companies who may assist in the whole move over there as Loblaws do. I'm not necessarily looking at Loblaws as the only employer but as I'm now 50, i need to look to my limited future...
Any info gratefully received.
Simon
Why do you assume you will have no issues ??? You are a foreigner the same as the rest of us and will have to go through the same processes. Loblaws is a Supermarket chain not a transport company, if you dont like it flat go to a hilly bit of Canada. But most of all do some research on the country before make any brash moves.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Gremmie, I hope you are well. 5 years have passed since I returned, im returning and joining up with Timeline whom run out of Saskatoon, My research came back with good comments and decided Timeline will be a great company to work for.
I was chatting to KB44 some months ago regarding Westcan, but i decided to go with Timeline, im sure Westcan are a good company to work for though.
How is Koogar, are you still in comms with him? If so please say hi.
Do you remember my pathetic comments I used for wanting to return to the UK.
I must have been having one massive blonde moment!!!!anyway I hope life is treating you well.
Great to hear from you.

Originally Posted by Gremmie
The man with the multi colourd coat returns
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

simoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nicesimoncdl is just really nice

Why do you assume you will have no issues ??? You are a foreigner the same as the rest of us and will have to go through the same processes. Loblaws is a Supermarket chain not a transport company, if you dont like it flat go to a hilly bit of Canada. But most of all do some research on the country before make any brash moves.
Hi Gremmie
First off, thanks for the reply.
secondly, I said I don't see any BIG issues. I didn't assume I wouldn't have ANY issues !!!
As a foreigner living in the States and obtaining a passport I am well aware of the issues. I just said I didn't foresee any BIG issues.
I know I'm a foreigner but appreciate the reminder.
I'm also aware Loblaws is a supermarket chain and not a transport company.
Appreciate you have views, wanted or otherwise. I was asking for advice on location.
Thanks for not offering anything......
Old Sep 12th 2013, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by simoncdl
Hi Gremmie
First off, thanks for the reply.
secondly, I said I don't see any BIG issues. I didn't assume I wouldn't have ANY issues !!!
As a foreigner living in the States and obtaining a passport I am well aware of the issues. I just said I didn't foresee any BIG issues.
I know I'm a foreigner but appreciate the reminder.
I'm also aware Loblaws is a supermarket chain and not a transport company.
Appreciate you have views, wanted or otherwise. I was asking for advice on location.
Thanks for not offering anything......
You are welcome, and you wont get any either..
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:20 am
Just Joined

You are welcome, and you wont get any either..
Idiot