British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   IELTS English entrance exam (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/ielts-english-entrance-exam-837097/)

Slippy Jun 21st 2014 8:02 pm

IELTS English entrance exam

Need some information regarding IELTS? I did mines today and it caught me a bit off guard to be honest!!! I'm kinda hoping from what I've heard on the grape vine that because trucking in Canada isn't a skilled profession a 50% pass rate is acceptable 4 categories all of which need to be marked a 5 or higher, can anyone back this up.....? Got speaking to couple of guys (brickies) wanting to go to Australia jeeeeze that's no fun from what I've been told, it's costing them a fortune and they need straight 7's or even 8's and above depending on there. If I've failed it so be it I'll just to re sit the bloody thing but I don't regret doing today cos it's opened up my eyes to how hard it is. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated, ta.

grant r Jun 21st 2014 9:02 pm

Re: IELTS English entrance exam

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11311028)
Need some information regarding IELTS? I did mines today and it caught me a bit off guard to be honest!!! I'm kinda hoping from what I've heard on the grape vine that because trucking in Canada isn't a skilled profession a 50% pass rate is acceptable 4 categories all of which need to be marked a 5 or higher, can anyone back this up.....? Got speaking to couple of guys (brickies) wanting to go to Australia jeeeeze that's no fun from what I've been told, it's costing them a fortune and they need straight 7's or even 8's and above depending on there. If I've failed it so be it I'll just to re sit the bloody thing but I don't regret doing today cos it's opened up my eyes to how hard it is. Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated, ta.

So did you sit it in this country Slippy? How much did it cost and how long before you go can you do this? Cheers mate

neilg14 Jun 21st 2014 9:24 pm

I did the Cel-pip exam, another version and that was hard as hell, but I passed, that scored 1 - 5 , High & Low, you need a minimum 4 low in all, speaking ,listening, reading and writing, I only had to do the speaking and listening and got a 5H & 5L.
I'm not sure how the Ielts is scored but pretty sure you need more than 50%.
With that Cel-pip, if you took the 1 - 5 & H - L and turned it into 10 then it would be,
1L =10%, 1H=20%, 2L=30%, 2H=40% etc, etc. so needing the minimum of 4L would be 70%.

jamesmc Jun 21st 2014 9:41 pm

slippy did his in glasgow the day...flies out on thursday tae lethbridge then tae the peg.

grant r Jun 21st 2014 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 11311101)
slippy did his in glasgow the day...flies out on thursday tae lethbridge then tae the peg.

So is it something that has to be done close to when you go out then jamesmc

Slippy Jun 21st 2014 10:15 pm

No Grant you can do it over there but James who replied to ya earlier told me a while back it's best to do it here, get it out of the way cos it'll be harder to arrange a date and getting there would be another thing... If yer wheels are no turning dude yer dollars are no coming lol. I advise ya to put in for it now cos you mite need to resit it. The guy I got talking to today said he knows friends that's taken it 3/4 times before passing.

grant r Jun 21st 2014 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by Slippy (Post 11311139)
No Grant you can do it over there but James who replied to ya earlier told me a while back it's best to do it here, get it out of the way cos it'll be harder to arrange a date and getting there would be another thing... If yer wheels are no turning dude yer dollars are no coming lol. I advise ya to put in for it now cos you mite need to resit it. The guy I got talking to today said he knows friends that's taken it 3/4 times before passing.

Good advice my friend appreciate the heads up :thumbsup:

old.sparkles Jun 21st 2014 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 11311143)
Good advice my friend appreciate the heads up :thumbsup:

There's plenty of practice material on the internet - and if you don't get the score you need at least you know what to expect next time round :)

(I took the test twice - needed all 8's for the points for Australia and got a 7.5 in one first time round - all 9's on second test :) )

Milanuk Jun 22nd 2014 2:58 am

Come on guys !!!
Its your native language :-)

I am british citizen but not born in UK and english is my second language....
I hope you dont mind but when I started looking for job in Canada I found the best advice here and now I try to share what I know with all other to try to help

I did the CELPIP last year in May
and I passed in the first hit.....so come on....it should be peace of cake for you :-)
I had 3H, 3H, 5H and 5H I think and I passed....when I was doing it 3L was the minimum I had to reach....
I choosed CELPIP becouse it was a bit cheaper and the line was not so long like for IELTS test.....if I want to do IELTS I would have to wait 6 months....for CELPIP I had to wait only 3 months :-)
When I moved over nobody knew that we all have to do the english test....my mates didnt trust me when I told them.....they understood that I have to take the test but they couldnt get over that they had to do it as well :-)

If there is a choice to do it before you come over here its great....I didnt know about that....
if there is not this choice.....just book yourself after 2 or 3 months of being here so you can get the result well before your 6 months here......

neilg14 Jun 22nd 2014 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Milanuk (Post 11311372)
Come on guys !!!
Its your native language :-)

I am british citizen but not born in UK and english is my second language....
I hope you dont mind but when I started looking for job in Canada I found the best advice here and now I try to share what I know with all other to try to help

I did the CELPIP last year in May
and I passed in the first hit.....so come on....it should be peace of cake for you :-)
I had 3H, 3H, 5H and 5H I think and I passed....when I was doing it 3L was the minimum I had to reach....
I choosed CELPIP becouse it was a bit cheaper and the line was not so long like for IELTS test.....if I want to do IELTS I would have to wait 6 months....for CELPIP I had to wait only 3 months :-)
When I moved over nobody knew that we all have to do the english test....my mates didnt trust me when I told them.....they understood that I have to take the test but they couldnt get over that they had to do it as well :-)

If there is a choice to do it before you come over here its great....I didnt know about that....
if there is not this choice.....just book yourself after 2 or 3 months of being here so you can get the result well before your 6 months here......

I would have found it easy as would any natural Brit if I was talking to a human instead of a ******* computer, and what made it worse was I was one of 2 Brits doing it amongst a mixture of 30 other people from all corners of the world each shouting louder than the next person, my concentration was zero and some of the questions were like they were asked in a way a non- English speaking person would understand.

Slippy Jun 22nd 2014 9:21 am

Well I'm sorry but I'm just thick, end of...! Doesn't make me a bad driver though....!

Slippy Jun 22nd 2014 9:35 am

I'll just have to study harder, I know I will pass it cos I don't accept failure, I just walked into it blind not expecting it to be that difficult probably because I was listening to everyone around me saying, oh it can't be that hard if foreign people can pass it and they can hardly speak English!!! Bad move, if I didn't have my truck test and airbrake coming up this week coming I probably would've spent some time on it but my heads on other things rite now so yeh I'll be better prepared for it next time round that's for sure!!!

2royalgreenjackets Jun 22nd 2014 11:52 am

Hey Milan
You have put the pressure the British born to pass their CELPIP or IIELTS.

Sats72 Jun 22nd 2014 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 11311404)
I would have found it easy as would any natural Brit if I was talking to a human instead of a ******* computer, and what made it worse was I was one of 2 Brits doing it amongst a mixture of 30 other people from all corners of the world each shouting louder than the next person, my concentration was zero and some of the questions were like they were asked in a way a non- English speaking person would understand.

I agree with this. Fortunately for me I didn't need to do it in the end, as I got here just before the deadline. I remember practising for it though, and thinking, some of these questions are just daft. A British born English speaker just wouldn't ask the questions in the way the tests do and hence the possibility to cause confusion.

Slippy Jun 22nd 2014 2:45 pm

Hear hear goodbuddy well said:thumbup: