IEC Approved HGV Driver.

Old Apr 30th 2015, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

craftbeerpaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC Approved HGV Driver.

I'm a 25 year old HGV C+E driver with 3 years experience of driving a 44 tonne tipping bulker. I've just received my IEC confirmation which will give me a 2 year open work permit upon arrival in Canada. Having spent 6 months travelling across Canada in 2008 and returning to visit friends since, I have decided that I would like to settle in Canada permanently if at all possible. I'm looking for some advice as to which cities members of this forum would recommend for job/wage prospects and the ease of being able to stay beyond my provisional 2 year visa. I have friends in Vancouver, Saskatoon and Toronto.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC Approved HGV Driver.

Originally Posted by craftbeerpaddy
I'm a 25 year old HGV C+E driver with 3 years experience of driving a 44 tonne tipping bulker. I've just received my IEC confirmation which will give me a 2 year open work permit upon arrival in Canada. Having spent 6 months travelling across Canada in 2008 and returning to visit friends since, I have decided that I would like to settle in Canada permanently if at all possible. I'm looking for some advice as to which cities members of this forum would recommend for job/wage prospects and the ease of being able to stay beyond my provisional 2 year visa. I have friends in Vancouver, Saskatoon and Toronto.
Out of those 3 choices, Saskatoon by a million miles, probably the blandest of the 3 places but it'll tick all the boxes you've mentioned.
Old May 1st 2015, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

A lot depends on what sort of trucking you wish to continue with , regards long/short/regional haul versus family time and enjoying the country for what it is .
Saskatoon delivers most options and would be my first choice , the thought of Vancouver or GTA sends shivers down my spine nowadays , dreadful places compared to life on the prairies .
Seimens Group could be worth a shout at the moment .
Old May 1st 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if its still the case but you use to have to at least cross provincial lines as part of qualifying for residency, find out if thats still the case as a local or city job isn't any use to you till your a resident if thats still in effect, major shake up recently so im not sure.
Old May 5th 2015, 11:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Def Saskatoon for the same reasons as above. Even if the place is not what you want you can always move on once perm.
Old May 11th 2015, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

Saskatoon for sure. I got my PR here and am still here in Saskatchewan.
Old May 13th 2015, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

I was thinking of flying to Canada in April and spending the summer in Toronto before heading to Saskatchewan to secure longer term employment. Would passing the class one test in Ontario have any drawbacks? Also once I've secured a job in Saskatchewan, how long would it take to gain PR?
Old May 13th 2015, 5:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by craftbeerpaddy
I was thinking of flying to Canada in April and spending the summer in Toronto before heading to Saskatchewan to secure longer term employment. Would passing the class one test in Ontario have any drawbacks? Also once I've secured a job in Saskatchewan, how long would it take to gain PR?
Class 1 (CDL) is provincial but you can transfer it, likely just a medical to change it to a Saskatchewan CDL
Might be easier to pass a CDL in SK though much less traffic etc but the choice is yours.

Edit: A little early for summer (April) lol
Old May 13th 2015, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

Yeah slightly early but I have to activate my IEC before April 22. So it's just a case of exchanging my car licence on arrival and then going straight for my class one?
Old May 14th 2015, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes, what province are you going to i forget ?
Ok Ontario lol just noticed, you definately getting your CDL in Ontario ?
Old May 14th 2015, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, that's the plan. Pass my test in Ontario and work/enjoy the summer in the Toronto area catching up with friends. Then head to Sask to hopefully secure a job that will lead onto PR through the SNIP program. Can anyone recommend any truck training companies around the GTA?
Old May 14th 2015, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Because drivers can't get PR through PNP in Ontario, the only drivers there will have moved after PR and I don't know of any on here.
All the big companies will have terminals around the Toronto area, if it's not for long, you might as well work for one of them ie. H&R, TransX, Bison, Challenger, Celadon & many more.
The advantage with the bigger companies are their wage rate is the same across Canada, whereas the ON only companies tend to not pay very well.
If you go onto various companies websites, they will tell you which terminals they are hiring in and the rate per mile.
You could also google kijiji & enter province, jobs, drivers& security and have a look at any that interest you.
Also jobank.ca & indeedjobs.com.
overtheroad, the drivers jobs magazine is also online.
Old Oct 9th 2015, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Kazmann is an unknown quantity at this point

hello Craftbeer
did u manage to find a job as a trucker under the IEC? which state did u move to?
Old Oct 10th 2015, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kazmann
hello Craftbeer
did u manage to find a job as a trucker under the IEC? which state did u move to?
Canada doesn't have States, it has Provinces.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Kazmann is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for clearing that up for us Neil.

well done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.