Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

Old Nov 25th 2010, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

I said in the first place...Don't encourage the muppet..Mr Hughes has obviously got nothing going on at all and unlimited resources of time to come on here and vent his frustations about his miserable experiences. The more you argue with the guy, the more he can indulge in his new keyboard warrior occupation. Simples.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:58 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

How, hughes3005, would you know what happens with logbooks? You never once got anywhere near max hours because you were not good enough to be given any work, were you?

You burble on about things you do not comprehend. You are a classic troll, in fact.

What I choose to do, either on log or off, is my choice. I have no idea where you get your 1150kms from, either. On Saturday I did 1260, and I had time spare, too. Since leaving on Saturday I have done a mere 4500 kms. That is in 5 days. You are showing your ignorance again.

As for what I have been paid over and above those miles, well I get $70 for setting up and taking down the deck. I get $25 for each drop (so $125) I get $25 for the original load and then $25 for the reload. I get paid for the ferry time, both directions. And I will be paid for the route I used.

As to my "outburst", I think you will find your rather misinformed rant is more along the lines of an "outburst". You didn't like being told you were a failure, but that is precisely what you are. You can tell us whatever you like about your holdings, but, for certain, you were given them by someone, probably bequests.

Get over it. You were given a chance and you blew it. Time you moved on and found something else you can waste your money on. May I suggest real estate in Florida?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:26 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by hughes3005
For those of you who cant understand This outburst The Drivers Log Book is the North American Answer to "Legal Entrapment".
Every driver has to write down Daily Logs and basically its a Book of lies, that encourages drivers into deception against the DOT.its a game of Catch me out if you can! the Canadian government See's this as Honesty!!!!! you can drive 15 hours a day just so long as you dont exceed 1150 klm's and the Department of transport Know it is abused "Full Stop"
So if you spend a day Loading And another day Unloading and another day waiting for a reload before you Know it you have worked nearly 3 days Virtually for free because contrary to what ever these people on this blog say....You Only get paid for miles you drive...If you get a DOT inspection the fines are MEGA BUCK'S...nearly $2000 for working over your 14 Hours a day US you can drive only 11 hrs US if you get an infringment MEGA BUCK'S Fine..
This is One of the reason's you can not earn Good money..And it make's some drivers that stuck it out "Bitter" and us that could worked it out and thought **** IT are classed as failures.
It is So$$$$$$so Costly to make a move there £20.000 minimum for a family of 4..
$20k to move? How? Did you all fly first class or charter your own private jet?

All day loading/unloading/waiting for dispatch? Not at a decent firm you wouldn't, I do 15000miles a month, every month, I don't fudge my logs to do that either, I just get on with my job and do my 11hrs within my 14hr spread, I eat in a resturaunt or truckstop and take a shower each day, apart from that I'm at work, so I work, my driver's door stays closed the rest of the time. I go to the seaside on pretty much every trip, be it east, west or south, I know my reload before I leave the yard 99% of the time and unless I choose to turn around and reset on the road (like I did to see the Dallas truckshow) I get home for a couple of days between trips, during this time my truck is serviced and sits waiting for my return, I'm not unique either, many of us Brits have similar jobs, all with different companies, we all do similar amounts of work and earn roughly the same, however the wage systems work at individual companies.

I'll admit you had a rough ride at Ayr, but what did you expect? They had to travel over the Atlantic to hire drivers, not exactly the sign of a good place to work, it seems that you made it even worse, after all some people make a success of it there, then you compounded matters by becoming a victim, you could've made it in Canada if you'd got off of your moaning arse and found another job, I did it, it was simple, I went to my present company, explained my situation at my previous firm, they applied for and received an LMO, I went to the border, changed my work permit and as if by magic I had me a decent job.

So quit whining like a bitch, you encountered a problem and gave up, you could've turned things around, but you never, I don't care how hard you had it, you could've changed things if you had the right attitude, instead you return to the UK with your tail between your legs telling anyone within earshot that Canada is crap, well it isn't, it may not be everyone's cup of tea, but Canada or even Ayr never did anything to you, you did it all to yourself, you need to man up and accept things matey.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

I missed the 20k bit.. How does it cost that? You had best explain it, I think.

Come on, mr big-shot-I-went-to-Canada-and-failed... Tell all. After all, you are clearly the only person in the whole wide world who knows. So you better actually show us how it costs that, especially considering you were here on your own.

IIRC, my flight over here, including the Newquay-Gatwick flight was about 750 sterling, and I got all except the Newquay leg refunded. My apartment was $650 a month, but as I was paid from day one it wasn't an issue.

Come on, hughes.. Tell all. Or are you just spouting crap to cover your inadequacies?
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if this Hughes wally is really Mick Fly, their stories are so similar its uncanny
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
I wonder if this Hughes wally is really Mick Fly, their stories are so similar its uncanny
Not too similar at all really, thanks Gremmie.

We chose not to return after a vacation in the UK, as the company I worked for were stiffing people on layover pay etc, and not coming up with the goods regards providing the promised mileage.
We didn't lose a fortune, we don't hate Canada, I never slagged Canada or the Canadians off etc we could have returned and 'sucked up' the chit, but the numbers returning to Europe (as 'failures') from that company clearly shows that they are not able to keep people employed there.

I would have been happy working at H&R within the terms of the contract, but they choose to abuse the people who are desperate for PR.

There now seems to be an accepted consensus that the big companies who have to recruit in Europe, really are terrible, so why, once again do the same few posters turn against someone in such a personal way.

BTW: this was posted as a comment on my H&R blog earlier this week from Lethbridge...

"Can you ask your mate lyndon to get me a truck so i can earn some money since i passed the canadian class1 else i will be joining all the others who have gone back very recently.
cant they rebadge the trucks sat in the yard and give them to us, we will end up on welfare at this rate.
Anything will do."

So, Gremmie, if you talk to your mate Lyndon, tell him they are still pee'd off at H&R.

PS. It's not 2008 over there now, and LMO's are VERY hard to come by, so changing jobs isn't easy and is more costly if you have an interim period where you are between employers.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know? i am so Tired! its been a busy week for me i have done another eight an half hours today 42 hours this week thank goodness its Friday and i have the weekend with the family.
Any way we are looking at all inclusive packages to get some relaxation timeTenerife is nice and warm and Cheep as Chips.
Gremmie i was thinking of buying a pick up truck and realised i wasn't Fat.and talking of Wallys at least i dont have a $300 000 mortgage to worry about
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickfly
Not too similar at all really, thanks Gremmie.

We chose not to return after a vacation in the UK, as the company I worked for were stiffing people on layover pay etc, and not coming up with the goods regards providing the promised mileage.
We didn't lose a fortune, we don't hate Canada, I never slagged Canada or the Canadians off etc we could have returned and 'sucked up' the chit, but the numbers returning to Europe (as 'failures') from that company clearly shows that they are not able to keep people employed there.

I would have been happy working at H&R within the terms of the contract, but they choose to abuse the people who are desperate for PR.

There now seems to be an accepted consensus that the big companies who have to recruit in Europe, really are terrible, so why, once again do the same few posters turn against someone in such a personal way.

BTW: this was posted as a comment on my H&R blog earlier this week from Lethbridge...

"Can you ask your mate lyndon to get me a truck so i can earn some money since i passed the canadian class1 else i will be joining all the others who have gone back very recently.
cant they rebadge the trucks sat in the yard and give them to us, we will end up on welfare at this rate.
Anything will do."

So, Gremmie, if you talk to your mate Lyndon, tell him they are still pee'd off at H&R.

PS. It's not 2008 over there now, and LMO's are VERY hard to come by, so changing jobs isn't easy and is more costly if you have an interim period where you are between employers.
(We chose not to return after a vacation in the UK, as the company I worked for were stiffing people on layover pay etc) Which translates into the fact that you just buggered off and left them. May be if you had just spoke to them about the lay over money it could have been resolved, instead you went public on forums etc. hardly a great way to solve you personal problems was it ?.
As you admited to me on Facebook, you should just have kept quiet got you PR and moved on. But like most cruesades they end in tears.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Which translates into the fact that you just buggered off and left them.

May be if you had just spoke to them about the lay over money it could have been resolved, instead you went public on forums etc. hardly a great way to solve you personal problems was it ?.

As you admited to me on Facebook, you should just have kept quiet got you PR and moved on. But like most cruesades they end in tears.
Offered Foder my notice, he refused it, saying all problems could be resolved, then before our holiday gave us a run to Salt Lake City 4 days hence (it only takes a good day to get there!) hardly a great way to earn money is it?
I didn't go public until AFTER we had tried to resolve things, and it was hardly a crusade, I have been getting on with my life as usual.

The wife wanted the blogs leaving up to warn people of the pitfalls at H&R, which are still the same as when we left, but with less chance of getting other employment if it goes teets up there.

YES I should have kept quiet got PR and moved on, but my choice was not to keep quiet.
If I had bent over it may not have worked anyway because gaining PR seems to be a problem for a few of the folks who started at the same time as me nearly two years ago and have 'sucked it up' for all that time.

Still no PR for them yet! (I don't know if that's H&R's fault or the Gov't)
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wire
I said in the first place...Don't encourage the muppet..Mr Hughes has obviously got nothing going on at all and unlimited resources of time to come on here and vent his frustations about his miserable experiences. The more you argue with the guy, the more he can indulge in his new keyboard warrior occupation. Simples.
Actually i have an Iphone 4 it cost £40 a month and as unlimited phone calls unlimided Internet and unlimited Texts. so i can keep an eye on your deceptive misquotes...and the phone was FREEin fact you could say i have not Failed...Call Vodafone UK
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by hughes3005
Actually i have an Iphone 4 it cost £40 a month and as unlimited phone calls unlimided Internet and unlimited Texts. so i can keep an eye on your deceptive misquotes...and the phone was FREEin fact you could say i have not Failed...Call Vodafone UK
I have the same phone and it as a spell checker , in fact I'm typing this on it now at work , So I fail to see how you can be so illiterate ;-)
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kb33
I have the same phone and it as a spell checker , in fact I'm typing this on it now at work , So I fail to see how you can be so illiterate ;-)
Sorry but some one with KB33 as a name,Needs a spell checker and being incumbent is an asset to your self proclaimed profession of English...
You need to work harder if your at work..JD33
Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

You obviously got someone to show you how to turn the spellckecker on, hughes. Shame you didn't figure out to disable emoticons.

Like it or not, you did fail miserably. I do not care what you do now, or where, or what you earn. This entire forum is about trucking abroad. You couldn't do it so sling your ignorant hook and find someone else to try to irritate.

Why you think anyone would listen to you, when you obviously are a conceited little man with twisted opinions founded on nothing factual, is a mystery.

As you can see, Rasta hasn't raised any questions based on your crap, has he?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobthedog
You obviously got someone to show you how to turn the spellckecker on, hughes. Shame you didn't figure out to disable emoticons.

Like it or not, you did fail miserably. I do not care what you do now, or where, or what you earn. This entire forum is about trucking abroad. You couldn't do it so sling your ignorant hook and find someone else to try to irritate.

Why you think anyone would listen to you, when you obviously are a conceited little man with twisted opinions founded on nothing factual, is a mystery.

As you can see, Rasta hasn't raised any questions based on your crap, has he?
Robyourdog
I Did not Fail to understand that Most Trucking Company's are a scam and like it or not i may be here for the Long Haul to Out Dishonesty in the trucking industry in Canada. i have worked there for over a year albeit 3 Different company's but the end game is they Do Not Care about drivers.
Now Robdog Fill out your Log book you Viterol guttersnipe
Maybe Rasta Keeps quiet so as not to upset His future prospects for pnp?
Also i want prospective driver should be careful and trying to understand how a company works is only achievable by actually working and finding out first hand and then your a Failure and little men conspire to keep things covered up aaayyy Robdog

Last edited by hughes3005; Nov 27th 2010 at 9:45 am.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Its like debating with an eight year old ! I'm outta here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.