British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/how-much-money-recommended-single-guy-moving-canada-trucker-693393/)

Rasta911 Nov 13th 2010 12:30 pm

How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

Hey i was just wondering if anyone out there has relocated to any canadian province as a long haul trucker?
Im hoping to move there soon, I am a single guy and already hold a Manitoba Class one. I was wondering if anyone knew what the ideal minimum amount would be to take over there, to get me by till first payday. I dont want to go over and find myself short?

Any recommendations would be great? Thanks

kb33 Nov 13th 2010 6:37 pm

Re: How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

Its about $2K for the test to start with , Then things like accomodation/ work permit / transport and everyday living expenses for about 6 to 8 weeks till the first pay packet comes in , All depends on your lifestyle and spending habits , I'd say at least $5K .

Rasta911 Nov 13th 2010 6:40 pm

Re: How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

Well I already have a manitoba class one so i would be almost going straight to work. Id almost certainly have an orientation week or two but, thats about it, i reckon maybe $2k till i get first pay. I just wanted someone elses opinion, Thanks again!

kb33 Nov 13th 2010 6:48 pm

If you can survive on 2K your doing well , Depends on how long before you get your first pay-packet , Most drivers earn that every two weeks and are settled ie not buying all the things you need to when first arriving.

wire Nov 14th 2010 5:16 am

If you don't mind me asking...How come you are having to move to New Brunswick when you have a Manitoba CDL?

Rasta911 Nov 14th 2010 9:02 am

Well i previously worked for big freight out of manitoba, but foolishly ended up back in the uk. Ive been trying to find a company with lmo allocations left but its been near impossible so ive had to look further afield, ie: NB and PEI.
Altho my Manitoba licence is inacvtive at the moment, ive found out that i can get it back on arrival in manitoba, or exchange to which ever province as long as it hasnt been over 4 years since it expired.

Gremmie Nov 15th 2010 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Rasta911 (Post 8980494)
Well i previously worked for big freight out of manitoba, but foolishly ended up back in the uk. Ive been trying to find a company with lmo allocations left but its been near impossible so ive had to look further afield, ie: NB and PEI.
Altho my Manitoba licence is inacvtive at the moment, ive found out that i can get it back on arrival in manitoba, or exchange to which ever province as long as it hasnt been over 4 years since it expired.

Well if youve been here and done it allready, you should be able to answer your own question then:blink::blink: As you have not stated whether you will be renting,buying or living in the truck how do you expect us to give a number.. $5000 minimum

bobthedog Nov 20th 2010 3:35 am

Is that you, Ross?

Rasta911 Nov 20th 2010 10:26 am

Yeah Bob, Its Ross. I decided to sign up here at last!

bobthedog Nov 20th 2010 2:19 pm

Cool. Beware of Gremmie... He is a savage in disguise..:rofl::rofl:

You know better than to pay attention to the likes of hughes, since that type are dreamers and whingers...:thumbup:

So is everything going to plan?

In answer to your question, do you still have any of the stuff you got last time round? Anything that can save you some money will be good. Scrape together what you can and see how it goes. Westcan won't keep you messing around long. If you have got the paperwork ready you ought to be on the road in less than 10 days.

Rasta911 Nov 20th 2010 2:47 pm

Yeah mate, Im well aware what Canada is like, so i never bothered adding to the "Canada's this and that" comments.
Yeah Ive got the LMO and i can transfer my MB licence to AB after a medical. Westcan have been really good with me, All i need is some Ops training as they call it, in Moose Jaw for a week then i should be on the road. They also said i can Live in the truck short term till i sort accomodations.
Planning on coming out January, just after new year. Just saving every penny right now! :D

hughes3005 Nov 20th 2010 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by bobthedog (Post 8993627)
Cool. Beware of Gremmie... He is a savage in disguise..:rofl::rofl:

You know better than to pay attention to the likes of hughes, since that type are dreamers and whingers...:thumbup:

So is everything going to plan?

In answer to your question, do you still have any of the stuff you got last time round? Anything that can save you some money will be good. Scrape together what you can and see how it goes. Westcan won't keep you messing around long. If you have got the paperwork ready you ought to be on the road in less than 10 days.

Seeing the driver is looking at working and moving to Canada by himself i wish him well and as Gremmie pointed out $5000 is about right for some one travelling by himself until he is paid, assuming he picks a good trucking company to work for..Good look Rasta911 lets hope you dont have to use the 911 service it cost $15 a month on a mobile pay as you go..Try Verhizon Mobile in the US they are about the cheapest you can get an all inclusive for around $200 a month and that covers the north America and internet or net10 also for the US but not Canada they cast $30 and you get $30 300 minits with it.and can call international $0.20 per minit to the UK.
Now bob take a look out the window and see how your flying pigs are and keep up the UFO spotting...:thumbsup:

hughes3005 Nov 20th 2010 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by hughes3005 (Post 8993672)
Seeing the driver is looking at working and moving to Canada by himself i wish him well and as Gremmie pointed out $5000 is about right for some one travelling by himself until he is paid, assuming he picks a good trucking company to work for..Good look Rasta911 lets hope you dont have to use the 911 service it cost $15 a month on a mobile pay as you go..Try Verhizon Mobile in the US they are about the cheapest you can get an all inclusive for around $200 a month and that covers the north America and internet or net10 also for the US but not Canada they cast $30 and you get $30 300 minits with it.and can call international $0.20 per minit to the UK.
Now bob take a look out the window and see how your flying pigs are and keep up the UFO spotting...:thumbsup:

Woops your going to AB double it LOL

bobthedog Nov 20th 2010 3:18 pm

See, you are casting yet more aspersions. I have been here for 5 years now. I have the same house, 2 cars on the drive, a good job and I have a lot of fun.

You came here, complained, garnered sympathy by false pretences then went back.. What do you do now? Complain even more and blame Canada for your own shortcomings.

You see, I know Rasta. I know he has been trying to get back out here for months and months, but because of people like you, he has found it difficult.

When he does get here, he will have people who will help him out. He knows that. I somehow doubt you would, but that is just my opinion, of course.

hughes3005 Nov 20th 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by bobthedog (Post 8993690)
See, you are casting yet more aspersions. I have been here for 5 years now. I have the same house, 2 cars on the drive, a good job and I have a lot of fun.

You came here, complained, garnered sympathy by false pretences then went back.. What do you do now? Complain even more and blame Canada for your own shortcomings.

You see, I know Rasta. I know he has been trying to get back out here for months and months, but because of people like you, he has found it difficult.

When he does get here, he will have people who will help him out. He knows that. I somehow doubt you would, but that is just my opinion, of course.

Good for you and purchase another vehicle for the drive.
what people Should know when looking at Canada is how working and living there will affect them.
all i am saying is be careful because it aint cheap and the wages dont match the cost of living.if you rent for the first 6 months and see how the wife and kids like it and Can you afford certain to live in that province as some are more expensive than others.
If you sell in the UK your taking a Big Gamble especially with the trucking company's that think drivers are inconvenient...
I like you BOB because you always lay the blame on some one else:lol: Keep UFO spotting.
OOO and i have 2 cars a drive and 2 Houses:thumbsup::thumbsup:But i cant afford Canada:thumbdown: