Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

Old Nov 21st 2010, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

Are you for real Hughes, you've got people posting on here who have made a success of moving to Canada, yet you still say they can't afford to live there, well hello, they do!

I've worked here for two and a half years, whilst renting a flat here and paying a mortgage in England, I've bought a decent car, still have my $1000 banger I got when I arrived, I've flown back to the UK twice now, I don't watch what I spend, I'm not a shopaholic, but I have bought clothes, electronics and lots of beer, yet I still have money in the bank, as I said in another thread, I arrived in Canada with 2 grand in my pocket, I guess I must be lucky.

You strike me as a typical 'the world owes me a living' type, you want to work 8hrs a day and be home every weekend, well who do you think you are? gremmie?
Old Nov 21st 2010, 8:19 am
Account Closed

ukkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

OOO and i have 2 cars a drive and 2 HousesBut i cant afford Canada

2 houses is the bare minimum you need. you and your ego would never fit in just 1 house
Old Nov 21st 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Fact is there are plenty of UK drivers living and working in Canada quite happily .. thank you

There are also plenty that have gone home for whatever reason - Family problems /spent too much money in the first few months / Couldn't hack the long hours and miles / Didn't want to suck it up / Didn't like the long cold winters / Thought Canada was expensive ! (Yeah right )

Basically Canada is what you make of it, its up to you to make it work and overcome any problems you face especially in the first year.

Most of those that go home probably shouldn't have come over in the first place , But if they didn't try the place how do they know they will like it ? It works for some and not for others, its as simple as that really.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Won't need another car for about 6 years, until the boy starts to drive, then I will buy one with huge bumpers made of foam...

(Note to self, maybe I should get one of those for the wife)

Who do I blame, and for what? You are blaming Canada for you being hopeless. I only say that we are doing just fine. I am the sole earner in the household yet we get by well enough. I have nothing to blame anyone for. Considering the accident I had last year, and the 7 weeks off sick, I think we do well.

Yes, I have to watch what I spend. I don't have the 60" plasma telly and brand new cars, and my house is far from new and there are sometimes little jobs need doing. But what difference is there between that and living in the UK? Houses still need things doing to them. Cars still need repairing.

The difference is that here, things are generally affordable and available. The little plumbing job I had to do a couple of weeks back took me a few hours, but I was able to get everything I needed in one store, and they were happy to advise me on the job. In the UK it would have cost me a fortune because of the BS and the fact that you are not supposed to touch it.

The cars, well I was able to get a new hub for the Explorer over the counter. No crap about it not being in stock, or needing the chassis number.

And all of this was cheap. The hub, including ABS sensor, was $200. In the UK it would have been much more. The plumbing stuff cost about $75 all in.

You say it is expensive because you are not able to see everything. If I blame anyone for anything, then I blame you for your own situation.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bobthedog
Won't need another car for about 6 years, until the boy starts to drive, then I will buy one with huge bumpers made of foam...

(Note to self, maybe I should get one of those for the wife)

Who do I blame, and for what? You are blaming Canada for you being hopeless. I only say that we are doing just fine. I am the sole earner in the household yet we get by well enough. I have nothing to blame anyone for. Considering the accident I had last year, and the 7 weeks off sick, I think we do well.

Yes, I have to watch what I spend. I don't have the 60" plasma telly and brand new cars, and my house is far from new and there are sometimes little jobs need doing. But what difference is there between that and living in the UK? Houses still need things doing to them. Cars still need repairing.

The difference is that here, things are generally affordable and available. The little plumbing job I had to do a couple of weeks back took me a few hours, but I was able to get everything I needed in one store, and they were happy to advise me on the job. In the UK it would have cost me a fortune because of the BS and the fact that you are not supposed to touch it.

The cars, well I was able to get a new hub for the Explorer over the counter. No crap about it not being in stock, or needing the chassis number.

And all of this was cheap. The hub, including ABS sensor, was $200. In the UK it would have been much more. The plumbing stuff cost about $75 all in.

You say it is expensive because you are not able to see everything. If I blame anyone for anything, then I blame you for your own situation.
If you go to screwfix "UK"they through away parts you pay for, anyway we are a consumer society thats why you have a Job for Mr A to Pay Mr B
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

I still get the Screwfix emails. I used to use them for all sorts of things, but you would have a hell of a job, given your lack of intellect, to know what you needed to buy in the first place.

Besides, having looked at similar items in their site, it is still cheaper here.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobthedog
I still get the Screwfix emails. I used to use them for all sorts of things, but you would have a hell of a job, given your lack of intellect, to know what you needed to buy in the first place.

Besides, having looked at similar items in their site, it is still cheaper here.
I am glad i am not the only one that thinks this Hughes person is an idiot

Last edited by Gremmie; Nov 22nd 2010 at 7:27 pm.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

The old boy's club is working well together.your a band of brothersyou know like birds of a feather you stick together.
I must say i do find it funny
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hughes3005
The old boy's club is working well together.your a band of brothersyou know like birds of a feather you stick together.
I must say i do find it funny
Funny we find you pathetic
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Rasta911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: How much Money is recommended for a single guy moving to Canada as a trucker?

Lmfao!
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Funny we find you pathetic
That's mutual gremmie..any way i am ignoring
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hughes3005
That's mutual gremmie..any way i am ignorant
hey we agree on something
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
hi i agree on that we are.join my sales team so we can sucker these UK drivers LOL
What Gremmie you and me work side by side and share the loot
We can make a fortune out of the drivers and if we get any come back just say they where Failures...Gremmie you are the sharpest Knife in the Draw
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

WTF Robdog i was mealy giving you a scenario and hypothesising,it's not in my remit to cast aspersions.
Remember i am a Failure with over 20+ years Truck driving and it was my Negligence and Incompetence for not being a Bottomless pit of Money.I would have liked to subsidised Canadian trucking company's with my cheap labour but i just run out of $$$$
The cheapest cars are to be found in Ontario you can pick up a bargain their
Old Nov 23rd 2010, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Hughes3005,just maybe if you weren't such a profound idiot you'd have done some homework prior to giving Canada the benefit of your presence.Did you not contact drivers already working with whichever company you hindered,before you came out here? Obviously not,otherwise you'd still be living the good life like the grafters/successful guys still HERE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.