British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   HGV TRAINING (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/hgv-training-796060/)

BigFlanders May 4th 2013 7:14 pm

HGV TRAINING

Hi All,
Moving over to Halifax, NS in July this year and looking for some info, My Wife has a job in Fall River and I'm looking to continue HGV work when we get over. I know that there is a training company in NS but I seem to remember reading on this site a while back that the 12 week, $10K option is available in a much shorter timeframe and more importantly (typically Scottish I hear you say!) also much less expensive.....
Does anyone have any pointers?
Thanks in advance.

neilg14 May 5th 2013 2:00 pm

Re: HGV TRAINING

Don't book any training at that sort of price or timeline until you get some answers on here first.
I'm in Alberta and it costs about $1800- $2000 and about a week to get your licence and I shouldn't think it's much different over in NS.
There are some drivers on here that work or have worked over there that can point you in the right direction as far as training and companies go.
To take 12 weeks they must be training someone who has never driven more than a car before and teaching all aspects of the job, ie. log books, strapping & sheeting, reefers, chaining-up etc etc.
Good luck.
Neil.

BigFlanders May 5th 2013 2:19 pm

That's great...
Like you say it's probably for complete novices as its 8 weeks in the classroom then 4 on the road?!!. I'm not sure if it's what I'll do but as it's what I'm doing over here it seems a logical step, Already started brushing up on my Air Brakes manual as you need to have that added to your licence before you can proceed with any Truck Traing in NS.
Thanks again and I'll keep you posted, Cheers,

Jim:thumbsup:

kb33 May 5th 2013 3:07 pm

I don't think the Trucking industry is that great out there , Low wages for city work and low milage rates for long haul , I'd do some research and talk to a few companies before spending any money on training .

grant r May 5th 2013 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by kb33 (Post 10693077)
I don't think the Trucking industry is that great out there .

hi kb33, whats the reason for this, do you know? ive often wondered why the maritimes was not good for trucking :confused:

neilg14 May 5th 2013 10:16 pm

What kb33 said & I think the cost of living is lower there. Companies pay a low mileage rate.
Also heard drivers saying they're stuck in an east coast triangle, not many miles, running bent constantly to meet just in time deliveries, lots of unpaid waiting around, heavy traffic in NY, NJ, MA etc.

HeadingNorth May 10th 2013 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 10693348)
hi kb33, whats the reason for this, do you know? ive often wondered why the maritimes was not good for trucking :confused:

All the maritime guys come to the West to work,mainly in Alberta.

There's not a lot of industries over there,mainly a bit of fishing and farming-kind of like the North of Scotland,Devon & Cornwall,etc. in the UK.

So basically not a lot of choice of employers,captive labour market=low pay.

On the plus side,the cost of living is cheap and you get some spectacular coastline-something you don't get a lot of in the prairies,lol.

BigFlanders May 11th 2013 12:47 pm

So I should get a job till our PR comes then fly over to Alberta, Get my Class 1 then fly back to my family in NS and It'll still work out less expensive than doing it in NS?....

HeadingNorth May 11th 2013 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlanders (Post 10703434)
So I should get a job till our PR comes then fly over to Alberta, Get my Class 1 then fly back to my family in NS and It'll still work out less expensive than doing it in NS?....

Unfortunately you can only do that if you land here with your PR.

Under the nomination schemes you & the family have to reside in the province/territory that are nominating you.

You make your choice and have to ride it out for better or worse!