Hgv 1 driving in Canada

Old May 29th 2012, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Sam hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hgv 1 driving in Canada

Hey all,

Just looking for some answers realli I'm looking to move to Canada to do long haul trucking I'm 23 and single have worked in Canada before with the British military in the Alberta province I've held my license since I was 18 (got through the army) I'm basically looking to know were the best place is to start looking should I go about applying for a visa first (if so which one) there's so many and I've no idea which 1 I'd be eligible for I can't make head nor tail of the cic website or would I be safer looking for an employer first I'm hopin to move to the Alberta province maybe somewhere near Alberta or medicine hat as that's we're I worked before and know some people over there and does anyone know any companies in that area employing uk drivers? when I do go over what sorta things would I need to do in order to drive in Canada e.g get license converted and what sorta costs would I be looking at? I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but the websites I look into make very little sense to me and I just want answers in plain English many thanks in advance

Sam
Old May 29th 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hgv 1 driving in Canada

You sound like perfect fodder for the H&R driver recruitment mill.
Google H&R transport. I am sure they would love to "help" you.
Old May 29th 2012, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

I've noticed their name come up quite often are they good to work for?
Old May 29th 2012, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sam hill
I've noticed their name come up quite often are they good to work for?
Not if you read what other ppl who are on here say about them lol do you fancy driving long distance or short distance or driving with a bit of site work one of the best ppl on here to give you heads up is gremmie hes on the forum look for some of his posts and im him he can point you in the right direction of which companys to work for and who to stay away from as there are some good ones to work for and some who take the piss
Old May 29th 2012, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

Yeah I was kinda thinking it's a bit of a sarcastic answer lol yeah I will do that thanks for the heads up
Old May 29th 2012, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

Yeah Gremmies your man, ask him who's best to work for, he just loves helping people out
Old May 30th 2012, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

There's plenty of brilliant driving jobs and companies in Canada but they don't recruit from the UK. You might as well start by getting used to the idea that any company that needs to recruit drivers from half way round the world isn't likely to be very good to work for.
Old May 30th 2012, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the heads up I'm sure ther has to be some semi decent companies just goin to have a look c what I can find
Old May 31st 2012, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up I'm sure ther has to be some semi decent companies just goin to have a look c what I can find
Read through the H&R thread, that'll give you absolutely no idea what they're like to work for, but you may find it rather amusing

Just to reiterate what wire says, any company that has to recruit from overseas will have issues, some people will get on fine, others will take the crap and keep their head down until they get residence, others will leave and get a decent job, all of them will come on here and say their way is the best way, so in reality the best way is to just go for it, but read through the threads anyway, amongst all the arguing is some useful information
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

since you are still young google BUNAC and apply for visa through them that will get you a visa for year then you can find company you like and try get them to sponser you once you like it.
you may have to shell out some money for ur test and all the fun stuff.

Hey all,

Just looking for some answers realli I'm looking to move to Canada to do long haul trucking I'm 23 and single have worked in Canada before with the British military in the Alberta province I've held my license since I was 18 (got through the army) I'm basically looking to know were the best place is to start looking should I go about applying for a visa first (if so which one) there's so many and I've no idea which 1 I'd be eligible for I can't make head nor tail of the cic website or would I be safer looking for an employer first I'm hopin to move to the Alberta province maybe somewhere near Alberta or medicine hat as that's we're I worked before and know some people over there and does anyone know any companies in that area employing uk drivers? when I do go over what sorta things would I need to do in order to drive in Canada e.g get license converted and what sorta costs would I be looking at? I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but the websites I look into make very little sense to me and I just want answers in plain English many thanks in advance

Sam
Old Jun 1st 2012, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I woudnt rely on BUNAC to much , my daughter applied for a visa last year and was refused even though she perfectly matched the criteria .

Their reason ? " your parents live in Canada and you might not go back to the UK "
Old Jun 1st 2012, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kb33
I woudnt rely on BUNAC to much , my daughter applied for a visa last year and was refused even though she perfectly matched the criteria .

Their reason ? " your parents live in Canada and you might not go back to the UK "
Just proves the point that the authorities don't really understand their own rules and it totally depends on who looks at your application at the time.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

fergie171 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by heydon1983
Not if you read what other ppl who are on here say about them lol do you fancy driving long distance or short distance or driving with a bit of site work one of the best ppl on here to give you heads up is gremmie hes on the forum look for some of his posts and im him he can point you in the right direction of which companys to work for and who to stay away from as there are some good ones to work for and some who take the piss
gremmie is the master of negativity...pinch of salt when you hear his sarcastic, your not good like me advice. dont think he wants anybody else to do what he cant anymore...DRIVE
Old Jun 9th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fergie171
gremmie is the master of negativity...pinch of salt when you hear his sarcastic, your not good like me advice. dont think he wants anybody else to do what he cant anymore...DRIVE
No its just the likes o you that Canada can do with out...