British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Help for a trucker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/help-trucker-845173/)

neilg14 Oct 18th 2014 5:34 am

Re: Help for a trucker

Originally Posted by JRich (Post 11441723)
Does anyone know anything about the oil fields? Rj Hoffman?

Again Google or search on here for Hoffmans.
Never worked for them but read some horror stories on here about them.

JRich Oct 18th 2014 8:22 am

Thanks Neilcumming, great info. I was shocked when I saw the LMO thing as like you I thought it was long haul only that could qualify. When you say "camps" would that be because of the remoteness of the oil fields and the likely hood of getting "home-home" could be very unlikely without a seriously long commute?

neilcumming Oct 18th 2014 2:01 pm

Some of these camps are remote .What happens they work so many days on and have x amount of days off,something like 14 days on and 7 days off where people go home for a few days and return but it sounds like JR Hoffman isnt a camp job,you would have to rent or buy in LLoydminster.As I said I have never heard of them,Im based in MB,maybe someone else on here can give you better info.If your really interested give them a call,with your tanker experience I think you have good chance of being hired,all depends on there LMIA situation though.I wouldnt email them ,they probably wont reply.

JRich Oct 20th 2014 11:43 am

Re: Help for a trucker (westcan)

Thanks so far everyone. Has anyone got any good feedback from westcan bulk?

Smudger75 Oct 20th 2014 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by JRich (Post 11444038)

Westcan is like any other company that sets on TFW, you've just got to keep you head down and do your time!

neilg14 Oct 20th 2014 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by JRich (Post 11444038)

If you go on the main site here onto Immigration & Citizenship, go to page 3, about half way down there is a thread "Please help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA."
Have a read of that, that's Westcan.
Are you coming here alone or are you bringing family ?
If alone, I would say take what you can get, what have you got to lose but if you have family, I would be waiting to see what happens with these LMIA's and workforce percentages etc.
IMHO I think the government is not going to backtrack on any of this, be it a Tim Horton's worker or a truck driver.
All of these companies are going to have to up the wages to attract Canadians or downsize their companies.

JRich Oct 21st 2014 1:39 pm

Wow... Gotcha.

Bad times :( maybe sit back and see what happens I think. It's only me and the girlfriend but even so... I love the idea and that could potentially ruin everything.

heydon1983 Dec 14th 2014 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 11442113)
Again Google or search on here for Hoffmans.
Never worked for them but read some horror stories on here about them.

Hoffmans have 2 bases one in lloydminster and the other just over the border in sask if you search for them on the forum there is info regarding them some of it is good some not so good as neil says.
I use to work with a bloke who used to work there and he said basical if the wheel isnt turning your not earning but its a place to get your foot in through the door and a stepping stone to canada.
I work the oil patch and its good money and really nasty weather in winter can go down as far as -50 in alberta with a nasty windchill as well. Another problem is the price of oil at the moment if it keeps dropping down a lot of oilfield company's will be looking at laying people off not taking them on.
Good Luck with what you decide to do tho.