Help for a trucker

Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

JRich is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Help for a trucker

Hi, I am new on here and I can see there is a huge amount of info at hand which I am hoping to start getting through. I have always thought of making the move to Canada so in September I visited Calgary and drove to Vancouver.(holiday) Loved it!!

So is there anyone here who can give me some advice..? I am a fuel tanker driver and have contacted Westcan a few times but haven't applied as yet. Please if you can offer any info/help what so ever I will appreciate you reaching out. I am particularly interested in being around the Rockies area.. So calgary, Edmonton or golden.

Thanks.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help for a trucker

Has Westcan been in contact with you recently?The reason I ask is a driver on these forums had his LMIA application cancelled by Westcan due to the new changes in the TWP program.So Im assuming they have changed their policy or quota of foreign drivers.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. They just said apply as normal...but I know what you mean. Is it true a company must not have any more than 30% foreign work force?
Old Oct 16th 2014, 3:54 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRich
Thanks for your reply. They just said apply as normal...but I know what you mean. Is it true a company must not have any more than 30% foreign work force?
Yes and I believe down to 20% the following year.
By the look of it a few companies have given up with TFW's because of the new LMIA regulations.
Westcan don't have the best reputation for taking care of their foreign workers either.
Google them or go on the Truckers part of this forum and do a search.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and welcome to BE!

I am going to move your post to the trucking part of the forum as you are more likely to receive the information you are looking for.

Do come back to the main Canada forums after though!

Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Dont wouldnt let the new changes put you off as it wasnt the trucking companies that were found abusing the program.I dont have a crystal ball but I think these new changes are not going to last long as I cant see how its going to help the driver shortage.Have you looked at H&R ,they recruit drivers from UK every year and actually do interviews in UK .They are not fuel but chilled and frozen food and are in Lethbridge AB.When you came to Calgary did you go and see Westcan?The only other advice I can give you is search for companies with LMIAs in AB but if no joy look at SK and MB .
Old Oct 16th 2014, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

Wow thanks very much everyone. I actually applied to h and r 5 years ago and got excepted, but I got some really rotten feedback about them and my personal situation changed at the time also.
I heard drivers where missing out on pay due to they way there payroll worked... Apparently they had deposit boxes dotted around North America for you to put your time sheets in etc... How is there reputation nowadays? I saw a few on the road and the equipment looks really clean? The boss was great with me at the interview and I phoned him to say I couldn't come and he was a gent...Are they a good place to start and seek cotizenship with? Do they support?

I didn't go to west can but did see many of there trucks, two actually at the airport when we landed delivering fuel, and one at an esso garage.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe the deposit boxes they were talking about were Fed Ex ,I sometimes have to do that although only Canada for my company.Im in contact with a driver who came over from Scotland 2 months ago and started working with H&R,after a few hiccups with them he is starting to enjoy it.You have to pay for the driver training,license,accomadation(Sandman Hotel Lethbridge) etc.Westcan have a bad reputation for messing drivers around and H&R arent angels either,its the nature of the beast,you have to think why are these companies employing foreign drivers .Most foreign drivers work with them for a couple of years,get their PR then leave ,they call it a stepping stone.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

They must be fed ex or something, it makes sense I guess especially when your international. I hope it works out ok for your friend. Does he get plenty of work? I read a few of the posts explaining about the difference between the uk and canada, I believe that if you are prepared to work they will work you.... The H +R man said to me that you should get into the head of your planner and he will work you
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice
Smile Re: Help for a trucker

Originally Posted by JRich
They must be fed ex or something, it makes sense I guess especially when your international. I hope it works out ok for your friend. Does he get plenty of work? I read a few of the posts explaining about the difference between the uk and canada, I believe that if you are prepared to work they will work you.... The H +R man said to me that you should get into the head of your planner and he will work you
I spoke to a H&R driver last week who's been with them 7 years, he told me they aren't getting any LIMA's due to them having more than 30% of TWF! And Westcan have had no new TFW's this year!!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

I should of pointed out I meant Westcan Calgary!!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 8:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Smudger75
I should of pointed out I meant Westcan Calgary!!
Ok thanks
Old Oct 17th 2014, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Smudger75
I spoke to a H&R driver last week who's been with them 7 years, he told me they aren't getting any LIMA's due to them having more than 30% of TWF! And Westcan have had no new TFW's this year!!
It will probably be next year when they get their next quota of LMIAs then.I suggest to Jrich to look at the other provinces that are hiring not just AB and not just fuel.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Help for a trucker

Does anyone know anything about the oil fields? Rj Hoffman?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have never worked in the oilfields so I only have 2nd hand info.You are paid by the hour as its not long haul,work long hours driving hydrovac or pressure trucks.You visit 1 to 15 different sites each day,do your thing then home each nite .Its good pay but on the downside the accommodation is expensive.There are companies who provide accommodation in camps.RJ Hoffman,never heard of them but there are dozens of small companies like them providing oilfield services,they are the 1st I have heard of doing LMIAs(they say LMO on website)because I was under the impression the LMIAs was only for longhaul but having said that it doesnt surprise me.LLoydminster is a small town near Edmonton,I passed thru there a few weeks ago,its picking up lots of oilfield work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.