H & R Transport

Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future
Default Re: H & R Transport

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Hi Thanks for that mate.

& your right did not know that the way things are put to you sometimes it does look like your driving around "tramping" as you said and then you final oad is back to Canada. Even all the employers I have been in touch with have never mentioned this.

I do presume you can do a triangular journey i.e.

Dep Canada - Texas (drop) - Arizona (pick up) - Canada (drop)

Then after that your free to do another run into the states again - Hence being away for days on end as your run back to Canada could be 1000 miles away from your home depot.

Does That look correct.

(This is why I'm buliding up a list of Q's for employers for when I go over in Sep)

Cheers Dave

PS

Sorry to have hijacked this thread slightly ref H & R wont happen again as I know it can be annoying...still relevant to trucking tho
Davie,
Yes that route would be legal but you might be driving empty for a couple of days between loads!!!
As for the truck driving test if its anything like the CDL test in the States it will be just about the easiest test ever:
Went to test centre,took the multi choice theory test then took the truck and hopperbottom trailer out for a 25min spin around Grand Forks N.Dakota after 45 mins had my class A CDL with hazmat,airbrake and double/triple trailers!!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:41 am
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future
Cool Re: We're back in Lethbridge

Originally Posted by loafy
Hi Lyndon & family,
Glad you got there ok and everything is as you expected it to be. Hope you dont suffer with the jet lag like you had last time and all goes well over the next week or so.
Lot of talk on here about the training and what you do on the test so you will have to keep us up to speed there my friend.

Anyway all the best for the future for you and your family with the new life in Lethbridge and Canada on the greater scale.

LOAFY...
Hi Loafy

its now 05:15 Monday morning and i've been up since 03:00 again so yes, it looks like the old jet lag kicked in again.

As for the procedures to go thru, i intend updating every couple of days so i will keep everyone informed.

One thing i didnt mention was the immigration process, its different to what i expected. When we landed at Calgary we went through the 1st passport check and told them there that we intended to apply for the Temp Work Permit and they filtered us off into the immigration dept. I was expecting to go into a room and to be interviewed but its just a row of counters like at the post office. We went thru and got processed in about 15 mins and no stress. Jan and i are both on the same permit and Luke has got his own education permit which allows him to study anywhere.

We told them that we had goods to follow and the dog coming over in 2 weeks so thats no problem. With our goods to follow we didnt have much so we went into Staples last week and used 2 of their XXL air freight boxes for £114 each, they are already here waiting for us at the Lethbridge depot so i will collect them tonight.

The rest of our belongings went in the suitcases and yes they were heavy, i was told at Manchester that i would have to pay the excess which i was expecting to do anyway. Well at the check-in the girl got confused and called the supervisor to help, they started arguing about the price in front of us and i think the supervisor got embarrassed coz she said we could just go and they would sort it out. Well we just grabbed our things and ran before they changed their minds.

I really do like getting things for free

Well its now 05:36 and its just getting light in Lethbridge, did i mention that it hit 40 C yesterday. Time to grab a shower and go down for a bite of breakfast courtesy of H & R

Last edited by Lyndon001; Jul 30th 2007 at 11:45 am.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings folks but those of you who are thinking of going with H+R need to check out the posts of "can pilot" over on the ex-pats forum at www.truckersworld.co.uk
He drives for them and says around 30 European drivers have left in the last 2/3 months because of no work and low pay!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 12:35 pm
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future
Cool Re: H & R Transport

Originally Posted by Big Truck
I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings folks but those of you who are thinking of going with H+R need to check out the posts of "can pilot" over on the ex-pats forum at www.truckersworld.co.uk
He drives for them and says around 30 European drivers have left in the last 2/3 months because of no work and low pay!!!!
Hi Big Truck

I read all his posts, looked at his profile and noticed the people he was talking to. All good stuff but im not wobbling just yet, heared it all before about all the companies ive ever worked for, and not just trucking ones neither.

I am meeting the Boss injust over an hour so ive got an open mind. My attitude is......to make things work..... you have to make things work.

Heres looking at the bright side

Lyndon.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

mickp is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just finished my shift seen this and burst out laughing, big truck how's about the grim reaper
later
Old Jul 30th 2007, 1:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
PEI Hopefully

TA
Found the PEI Driver's Handbook is that any good to you?

It a rather large PDF file around 11 megabytes.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jul 30th 2007, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Ahh read the thread and his other posts and to be honest there is no substance to what he is saying, my opinion load of cock so there well maybe.
Time will tell.

LOAFY...
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Found the PEI Driver's Handbook is that any good to you?

It a rather large PDF file around 11 megabytes.

Cheers
Steve
Steve,

Thanks for that I have saved it to my PC in work to print off as and when required as we have a mammoth colour printer in the office. Will wait till on duty one night to print it as it will be like printing the dead sea scrolls.

Cheers Dave
Old Jul 30th 2007, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

It may well be "Cock+bull" but why would two guy's who drive for H+R come and post on a forum and spoof, what possible motive would they have?
One says he has taken home approx $830/week since 1/1/07 for and I quote "working my nuts off"
They say your are left waiting on a load 1000 miles away from the family for 2 days at a time with no pay frequently and that would be a killer for me.:curse:
These trucking companies keep coming back to the UK looking for drivers NOT because they have increased the number of trucks they run but because they have a DRIVER TURNOVER of 100% or more!!!!!!!
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

julieandchris will become famous soon enoughjulieandchris will become famous soon enough

I agree 100% big truck, theres a reason why the big companys keep goin to the uk for drivers, Its because they cant get the residents to work for them, because there not very good compared to others out here. Having been here for 3 years and know alot of other drivers who have also, there is not many uk drivers who stay at the big companys who bring them over.I have been looking around for a couple of days now to try and find a decent paying job and theres not alot about, the money ranges from $14 an hour to $17 for local work and for working away for a couple of weeks your take home pay is around $1200-$2000 all depending how hard you wanna go(per fortnight). Where not trying to worry anyone but just tryin to get you prepared for the way they work here compared to the uk. just a little friendly advice...chris
Old Jul 30th 2007, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by julieandchris
I agree 100% big truck, theres a reason why the big companys keep goin to the uk for drivers, Its because they cant get the residents to work for them, because there not very good compared to others out here. Having been here for 3 years and know alot of other drivers who have also, there is not many uk drivers who stay at the big companys who bring them over.I have been looking around for a couple of days now to try and find a decent paying job and theres not alot about, the money ranges from $14 an hour to $17 for local work and for working away for a couple of weeks your take home pay is around $1200-$2000 all depending how hard you wanna go(per fortnight). Where not trying to worry anyone but just tryin to get you prepared for the way they work here compared to the uk. just a little friendly advice...chris
hi julie & chris,
I'm a wannabe immigrant coming over with family for a holiday seeing niagra falls going down to ohio visiting nephew & family then back up to have a couple of informal interviews/recce the local area what's the average household outlay per month I realise everyones different
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

julieandchris will become famous soon enoughjulieandchris will become famous soon enough

Hi mickp, we are living in saskatoon, it all depends on what miortgage you have and where you live, to get a decent house now in saskatoon or outlying areas you prob want around $300 000, if you get around a $150 000 mortgage your bills will be around $2000 a month and thats not with the shopping or fuel, its not as cheap to live in canada as everyone thinks its prob on par with the uk, were on a acreage so our water bill is around $16 a month were as in martensville we were paying $100 a month. Our house taxes in martensville were over $4000 a year were as here there only $1400 so it all depends were you live and what you live in. The food is pretty expensive compared to uk but eating out is cheaper. When we first came out we all bought big nice houses and on the wages we were earning it was a struggle to keep our heads above water and most of the other drivers were the same. The english money you come with dont last forever and when your earning the dollar it does get harder. Alot of our friends went back because they coulnd'nt afford to stop here on the wages. But in the end it as been worth the struggle.the propertys here have shot up in the last year so it would be even harder if we came over now.
Old Jul 30th 2007, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by julieandchris
Hi mickp, we are living in saskatoon, it all depends on what miortgage you have and where you live, to get a decent house now in saskatoon or outlying areas you prob want around $300 000, if you get around a $150 000 mortgage your bills will be around $2000 a month and thats not with the shopping or fuel, its not as cheap to live in canada as everyone thinks its prob on par with the uk, were on a acreage so our water bill is around $16 a month were as in martensville we were paying $100 a month. Our house taxes in martensville were over $4000 a year were as here there only $1400 so it all depends were you live and what you live in. The food is pretty expensive compared to uk but eating out is cheaper. When we first came out we all bought big nice houses and on the wages we were earning it was a struggle to keep our heads above water and most of the other drivers were the same. The english money you come with dont last forever and when your earning the dollar it does get harder. Alot of our friends went back because they coulnd'nt afford to stop here on the wages. But in the end it as been worth the struggle.the propertys here have shot up in the last year so it would be even harder if we came over now.
sent pm
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

It may well be "Cock+bull" but why would two guy's who drive for H+R come and post on a forum and spoof, what possible motive would they have?
One says he has taken home approx $830/week since 1/1/07 for and I quote "working my nuts off"
They say your are left waiting on a load 1000 miles away from the family for 2 days at a time with no pay frequently and that would be a killer for me.:curse:
These trucking companies keep coming back to the UK looking for drivers NOT because they have increased the number of trucks they run but because they have a DRIVER TURNOVER of 100% or more!!!!!!!
Well i have to say that would be right on the first part why would they, we all know that its not always for everyone and as bob the dog has wrote more than once you do have to put in the effort to make it work, it's not going to without it. As for the pay $830 a week minus his taxes take home would be around the $4000 a month topline so not bad money and at the end of the year he can get a good chunk of that back, anything between $4000 and $7000 which is nice for a holiday or put towards a car or something special. H&R pay for layovers after 24Hrs and if i was told right this is being looked into at this moment to bring that down and then split into equal times to make it fair.
I dont know what there turn over of drivers would be but if it was that bad im sure the the PNP or im not sure of the wording but HRSDC i think its called should know and act on it to improve things, then again if no one tells them it wont change.
I guess i will soon find out and if it is true you will hear from me on here and im sure Lyndon too and others.
Many thanks,

LOAFY...
Old Jul 30th 2007, 10:52 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by loafy
As for the pay $830 a week minus his taxes take home would be around the $4000 a month

$830 per week times 4 weeks per month only comes to $3320 gross, so I'm not entirely sure how you are getting it to $4000 after taxes (net).

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 30th 2007 at 10:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.