H & R Transport

Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:23 pm
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future
Default Re: H & R Transport

Quick update

just been stood down till Thursday afternoon and i think were doing air-brakes on Friday.

There are some important books to read:

Basic Licence Drivers Handbook
&
Professional Operators Licence Information

Go here for good driving info

http://www.saferoads.com/

And go here to download them

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/Driv...aminations.htm

Make sure you do coz i will be asking questions

Always helping

Lyndon
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough2royalgreenjackets will become famous soon enough

Julie and Chris,
I will starting with Edge very soon,im waiting for my LMO,i will be residing in Saskatoon, Luckily enough a very good friend of mine has been out there for 3 years now,He will supply me with a cellPhone and help me out with transport,he is waiting for his landing status, Matt finished with Edge and now he is washing cars,That is just unbelievable,things dont fall in your lap you have to sacrifice and work at it.I am well aware of the pay structure out there,i have read other threads.The good thing about this site is you can give facts and ask questions.The truck companies cannot guarantee the mileage.Im sure you are well aware of the bank holidays in the US,i understand Edge wont send me down there if it coin-cides with their bank holiday,they will give me a run around Canada,so if this occured my pay would be affected,The pay is not fantastic,it gets cold,-45 saskatoon,i am so excited i cant wait for it.Some people say you will be better off if you have a good amount of Cash to take with you.How much is a good amount,do you own your own house or are you renting.I am open to any usefull advice including transporting of belongings.Regards Phil.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

julieandchris will become famous soon enoughjulieandchris will become famous soon enough

HI phil, you'll love saskatoon its a lovely place, we own our house(well the mortgage lender owns part of it to). Bring all you can, but when a bunch of us came out we all went for the big new houses and didnt stop to look at the $4000 house taxs or anything so we did struggle with the wages and the different ways over here but you soon get into it. The housing as boomed around saskatoon and they say its gonna keep rising, the winters are cold here but if you dress for it its not as bad as it sounds,-20 prob feels like -2 in uk because of the moisture.Cant tell you much about shipping gear oput here because we came with 6 suitcases and a bulldog and bought new, if we new then what we knew now we would have shipped it all over.
If there is anyone who needs anything answering I will do my best but I will be 100% honest with my answers but remember its only my experience, It IS worth the crap you put up with for a couple of years when you sit in a big house on 7 acres with humming birds, porcupines and deer visiting and what cost around 90 grand uk, and then you can go for a ride on ya quad and no one bothers you and dont even bat an eyelid. So there is light at the end of the tunnel if you stick it out.
Also just goin down town for a new job today runnin a 6 day trip to calafornia and then 2 days off and thats $60-70 thousand a year. good luck all
Old Jul 31st 2007, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by loafy
Ah yes, well i wasn't thinking in millitary terms as i'm a truck driver but i spose once you have done your time its hard to leave the old ways behind.

Hey Davie where is Karla these days she dont come on here much now, gone awol i guess.

All the best.
LOAFY...
Hi Mate.

Ref Karla bit strange not seen her for a while. I tried to PM her the other day and for some reason it will not allow you to PM her anymore. You can email so I tried that and never got a reply not sure what's going on...maybe they have binned the idea..las t I heard they were going to PEI like us and working for seafoodexpress.

We are off to PEI in Sep for a Recce see a couple of companies and Realtors, Banks etc...so fingers crossed it is what we expected as all the reports we have had are excellent from there.

Cheers Dave
Old Aug 1st 2007, 8:21 am
Just Joined

marg-den is an unknown quantity at this point

well hello all i am in the process of getting all my info together to go over to canada pref manitoba so i am after evry bit of info i can find hear please good to hear all these storys about how and where to go i am learning all the time just saying hello as i am at work and not the quickest typer so not much time to type but will keep on coming here for the info i get cheers
Old Aug 1st 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

citicat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Lyndon001
Quick update

just been stood down till Thursday afternoon and i think were doing air-brakes on Friday.

There are some important books to read:

Basic Licence Drivers Handbook
&
Professional Operators Licence Information

Go here for good driving info

http://www.saferoads.com/

And go here to download them

http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/Driv...aminations.htm

Make sure you do coz i will be asking questions

Always helping

Lyndon

Hopefully my house sale will get sorted soon so will be following you m8. Did steve meet you at airport when you arrived, And is the truck you train on crash box or an auto box.

mick

Last edited by citicat; Aug 1st 2007 at 2:10 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by citicat
Hopefully my house sale will get sorted soon so will be following you m8. Did steve meet you at airport when you arrived, And is the truck you train on crash box or an auto box.

mick
Hi Citicat,
I believe that there trucks are of the auto box type but im sure Lyndon will let you know as he is out there doing his training now.

LOAFY...
Old Aug 1st 2007, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

mickp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Citicat,
I believe that there trucks are of the auto box type but im sure Lyndon will let you know as he is out there doing his training now.

LOAFY...
loafy,
when people are saying crash box, are they same as erf type eaton twin split or just doule declutch or listen to the revs and play a tune
Old Aug 1st 2007, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

citicat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the roughciticat is a jewel in the rough

Hi Citicat,

LOAFY...
Just asking because a fella i know did his training in sakechewan and it was a crash box and he said it made it ten times harder, Then once passed he has driven auto boxes since,

lmk

plodd
Old Aug 1st 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by citicat
Just asking because a fella i know did his training in sakechewan and it was a crash box and he said it made it ten times harder, Then once passed he has driven auto boxes since,

lmk

plodd
Yeah they are the same as a eaton twin or fuller thirteen speed, double de clutch, great box once you get used to them but for me it seems backwards now days as ZF synchro boxes are just great and far more reliable than the old stuff. According to H&R info pack all there trucks are auto boxes so i dont know why they would want to train in a crash one. Never had an auto box in bad weather always been a stick shift but i know that all our Dafs at Salvesens you can choose between auto and manual so i expect they will be the same.

LOAFY...
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 5:42 am
Banned

Lyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant futureLyndon001 has a brilliant future

Ok to clear the drive train (transmission) thing up, a lot of companies are running auto boxes but you have to train and take your test in a non-syncromesh gearbox, something to do with legislation, thats what my instructor told me any way. Notice i didnt say crash box, i have been told to think of it as a "touch" box, by that i think he means that ideally it should only take one hand to change gear.

A touch box is one with no syncromesh in it, you have to match gears with road speed and double de-clutch, its not really that hard once you get used to it, At the end of the day if you want to drive in Canada then you have to do it.

Anyway i am still a happy teddy, we train 3 hours per day so we have also got plenty of time to settle in.

Luke started making friends down in Raymond which i am really pleased about. We cooked our first meal in our new house tonight, KD and burgers.......had to be didnt it.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Ok to clear the drive train (transmission) thing up, a lot of companies are running auto boxes but you have to train and take your test in a non-syncromesh gearbox, something to do with legislation, thats what my instructor told me any way. Notice i didnt say crash box, i have been told to think of it as a "touch" box, by that i think he means that ideally it should only take one hand to change gear.

A touch box is one with no syncromesh in it, you have to match gears with road speed and double de-clutch, its not really that hard once you get used to it, At the end of the day if you want to drive in Canada then you have to do it.

Anyway i am still a happy teddy, we train 3 hours per day so we have also got plenty of time to settle in.

Luke started making friends down in Raymond which i am really pleased about. We cooked our first meal in our new house tonight, KD and burgers.......had to be didnt it.
Sounds like everything is going well there lyndon especially for luke as its a big step for them.
Can you play god save the queen yet or is it some crunch metal, bit like grunge metal only you have some bits left over that shouldnt be there lol.
Whats KD by the way ? I think ive had a sheltered life you know or been away from home to long.
Anyway glad things are going well and keep up the good work.
All the best,
LOAFY...
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:16 am
Banned

Default Kraft Dinner

Sounds like everything is going well there lyndon especially for luke as its a big step for them.
Can you play god save the queen yet or is it some crunch metal, bit like grunge metal only you have some bits left over that shouldnt be there lol.
Whats KD by the way ? I think ive had a sheltered life you know or been away from home to long.
Anyway glad things are going well and keep up the good work.
All the best,
LOAFY...

God save the queen?????????????? all verses, apparently, two hands on the pudding stirer and one foot on the windshield is frowned upon.

KD is Kraft Dinner, it is a very Canadian thing, it is basically maccaroni cheese exept the origional recipe is bright orange, i think it costs about 93 cents a box and it is quite nice, its easy to make and its best eaten straight out of the pot and with the wooden spoon you used to make it (less washing up) its real hoser food.
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: Kraft Dinner

God save the queen?????????????? all verses, apparently, two hands on the pudding stirer and one foot on the windshield is frowned upon.

KD is Kraft Dinner, it is a very Canadian thing, it is basically maccaroni cheese exept the origional recipe is bright orange, i think it costs about 93 cents a box and it is quite nice, its easy to make and its best eaten straight out of the pot and with the wooden spoon you used to make it (less washing up) its real hoser food.
ooooh sounds delicious, dont mind a bit of maccaroni cheese myself.

I guess you will get the hang of it by the time you have got thru that tune and oh Canada as well.

LOAFY...
Old Aug 2nd 2007, 6:37 am
Banned

Default Hang that darn dog

Hey Loafy, i saved a dogs life this afternoon, we were walking back from the licencing place and i saw a dog hanging by the neck out of a car window, the car was parked up by the way.

i got the dog back thru the window and calmed it down, this woman came over with some water, so i gave it a drink. i have no idea how long the dog had been there but it made me so angry, it ws another scortcher too today, i left a note on the drivers seat that said this:

Hi

Found you dog hanging by his neck from your car window.
Saved his life for you.

EDIT: reference my post about those books, you can get then for free from the place that changes your licence to Canadian
Have a great day.
A Friend.
hope it was sarcastic enough

Last edited by Lyndon001; Aug 2nd 2007 at 6:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.