British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   H&R Interviews........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/h-r-interviews-491183/)

bigtone Nov 2nd 2007 8:25 pm

Re: H&R Interviews........

:rofl::rofl::rofl::thumbdown: just read that truck and driver scary
say just what they are looking for to every driver . :curse::curse:

pete d Nov 2nd 2007 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by bigtone (Post 5503018)

:(

Gremmie Nov 2nd 2007 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by bigtone (Post 5503018)

dont understand what you want to say here....you find it funny what happend to this guy:confused::confused:

pete d Nov 2nd 2007 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 5503044)
dont understand what you want to say here....you find it funny what happend to this guy:confused::confused:

BE NICE Gremmie he's new

Gremmie Nov 2nd 2007 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by pete d (Post 5503067)
BE NICE Gremmie he's new

I know......cant quiet make out what he saying in his post tho. read it a dozen times,,,,please translate as my "english jargon" is a tad rusty:blink:

pete d Nov 2nd 2007 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 5503098)
I know......cant quiet make out what he saying in his post tho. read it a dozen times,,,,please translate as my "english jargon" is a tad rusty:blink:

I THINK HE'S TRYING TO SAY.
just read theTruck and Driver, VERY SCARY.
it seem H&R say to everyone that applies " your exactly what we're looking for".

now thats £5 for the translation

kb33 Nov 2nd 2007 9:07 pm

Think all the trucking companies say that .. there really is a big shortage of drivers out here.

bigtone Nov 2nd 2007 9:41 pm

no not funny in anyway
and not funny on the guy in truck and driver
yes big shortage of drivers in canada
but some seem to play on it when you read it
:eek:

DAVIE_MAC Nov 2nd 2007 10:19 pm

I don't have a copy so could someone post what happened to this guy then.

Cheers

Gremmie Nov 2nd 2007 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 5503509)
I don't have a copy so could someone post what happened to this guy then.

Cheers

I only got a brief summary of what happend,,,,would please a UK based driver who has read this artical give a bit more info please. As i think that it would/could be a useful piece of info,even tho its only one mans opinion:thumbup:

CurtNIR Nov 3rd 2007 3:23 pm

I read this article this afternoon. And i say to the magazine, erm....so what.
He got turned down by H&R.... There are hunderds of companies in Canada. I dont see why this one story got published, im sure it happens to alot of people.

Move on and try the next one.:)

pete d Nov 3rd 2007 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by CurtNIR (Post 5506007)
He got turned down by H&R.... There are hunderds of companies in Canada. I dont see why this one story got published, im sure it happens to alot of people.

exactly my point i can't believe this chap went all the way to canada with all his references, checks, gets knocked back by one company and comes home.
if that was me i'd have been banging on the door of every trucking company within 50 miles!!!

paulburt Nov 3rd 2007 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by CurtNIR (Post 5506007)

fair comment but how many have set their stall out to live in a certain area, working for a particular firm and arranged a trip to just basically sort the details? quite a few i reckon!
makes you wonder why he got knocked back though, surely he'd already had some sort of phone interview and sent his details before flying over?

Gremmie Nov 3rd 2007 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by paulburt (Post 5506394)
fair comment but how many have set their stall out to live in a certain area, working for a particular firm and arranged a trip to just basically sort the details? quite a few i reckon!
makes you wonder why he got knocked back though, surely he'd already had some sort of phone interview and sent his details before flying over?

Some of us still dont know what happend to this guy:(:(

koogar Nov 3rd 2007 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by paulburt (Post 5506394)

I understand what you're saying Paul, but I don't see what difference that would make.
Even if this guy had his heart set on Lethbridge (I presume that's where we're talking about), there's Taber just down the road, Milk River's an hour or so away, even Calgary or Medicine Hat are only a couple of hours away and if you're away for 7-10 days at a time, that's do-able.
H&R must have been hiring for him to go out there and, as you say, surely he must have spoken to them before making the trip, so for them to turn him away once he got there, I would imagine something must have been found which hadn't been disclosed before he travelled to Canada. Maybe he didn't actually have the required experience or perhaps he'd forgotten to mention that 'long ago' criminal offence?
I've heard of British taxi drivers going for an interview in Canada before telling the company "I don't actually have an HGV licence, but I'm sure I could do it if you'd be willing to give me a chance."
Who knows what happened, but there must be more to it than H&R just changing their minds.