British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   H&R Interviews........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/h-r-interviews-491183/)

bigwheels241 Nov 14th 2007 7:44 pm

Re: H&R Interviews........

One more News report as the top one I just placed was long enough - Sorry to cram up the forum....:ohmy:

But on the Unions reply

Transport Workers Union of Australia News and Updates

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOCAL TRUCK DRIVERS LAUNCH CAMPAIGN TO HALT PLANS TO BRING IN DRIVERS FROM OVERSEAS

Truck drivers from around NSW today hit the phones of Coalition Federal Senators and Coalition State MPs in a bid to halt plans to import cheap foreign labour to do their job.

More than 400 delegates and truck drivers joined Transport Workers’ Union Secretary, Tony Sheldon in a campaign against the Australian Trucking Association (ATA) and its plans to get poorly skilled drivers from overseas to fill labour shortages in the industry.

Speaking at the TWU Delegates Conference, Mr Sheldon criticised any Government moves which pander to the ATA’s demands saying measures to bring in foreign truck drivers were nothing but an avenue to provide truck companies with cheap labour.

“We will not be fooled. Plans to bring in foreign truck drivers are nothing but a bandaid solution designed to benefit big business and the Federal Government is aware of this,” said Mr Sheldon.

“Opening up the trucking industry to foreign workers would be disastrous.

“This scheme will force Australian truck drivers to compete with foreign truck drivers who would be paid below market rates to do the same work – not a fair contest.

“The pressure will be there to drive longer and faster, wages and conditions will worsen and our roads will turn into a killing field.

Mr Sheldon said asking foreign workers to drive on unfamiliar roads and under conditions which they just had to accept or risk being sent home would not solve long-run shortages in the industry.

“The key to making sure there is no shortage of drivers is to offer people decent pay, conditions and training to get them into trucks. If the ATA and the Federal Government are serious about fixing labour shortages then they would put pressure on companies to do this,” said Mr Sheldon.

“At the moment what we have is a plan to cripple the industry and put the livelihood of Australian truck drivers, their families and the public at risk.

“Members of the TWU will be putting pressure on coalition Federal Senators and their NSW State counterparts to demand that they will put a stop to any plans to bring in foreign truck drivers.”

and then other Australian States are also getting an EAR-BASHING from Unions / Media and the issues of Overseas NOT UK drivers but you know what I mean....:blink:

Labor’s dishonest campaign on truck drivers ‘overlooks’ role of Labor States
Friday, 18 May 2007

Tony Burke is plain wrong when he suggests that more foreign truck drivers will be coming to work in Australia.

The Australian Government believes that trucking companies should first and foremost train Australians to be truck drivers before even considering foreign workers.

In the event that an employer makes an application to sponsor a foreign worker for a skilled vacancy, at the very least they must pay such workers the legal minimum salary level or the relative industrial instrument, which ever is higher.

The Department of Immigration and Citizenship must also be satisfied that the state licensing authorities will licence a truck driver before a visa is approved.

This means that the South Australian state Labor Government has the final say on approving the use of foreign truck drivers in that state.

Before making such baseless claims, Mr Burke should check his facts with his state Labor mates.

Media enquiries: Kate Walshe 0421 588 794

bigwheels241 Nov 14th 2007 7:57 pm

One more (Vital Read Paper) is this - Again forum sorry to cram up the topic but guess I inserted it as it is a good read and tells you a lot more than some news reports.

Note the date of this doc too.

http://www.aph.gov.au/House/committe...ubs/sub087.pdf

johnny.rayner Nov 15th 2007 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by koogar (Post 5550725)
lol..... koogar, the domesticated cat.
Who would have thunk it?

Ahhhhh woke up this morning looked out of the kitchen window and thought
of you KOOGAR,saw next doors laundry and had a little smirk thinking of you doing ya chors hmmm.

DAVIE_MAC Nov 15th 2007 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 5554996)
One more (Vital Read Paper) is this - Again forum sorry to cram up the topic but guess I inserted it as it is a good read and tells you a lot more than some news reports.

Note the date of this doc too.

http://www.aph.gov.au/House/committe...ubs/sub087.pdf

Hi Mate.

Fantastic few posts there with a wealth of info it really is appreciated.

Makes interesting reading and will be good to keep an eye on the situation as it progressess.

I know there are alot of guys on here and other sites who keep asking about driving in Oz and they can only benefit from the info you have posted.

I have to admit we looked at Oz & NZ to move to But really fell in Love with Canada and I also never recieved ONE reply from either Oz or NZ when I emailed various companies (40ish approx).

Thanks again and hope you don't mind if I pass on some of the info to some guys who have asked me for help in this matter....even if it is not good news at present.

Cheers Dave

Rodger Rabbit Nov 16th 2007 3:40 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hiya folks,
Had my first taste of driving a big rig this morning, not too bad but the gearbox's are a nightmare:ohmy: Still, I managed to take a few sharp teeth off the cogs:rofl:

Have a look at who I bumped into today, we meet up for a coffee and a good old chin wag. You'll all be pleased to know there doing fine and enjoying Canada...

burton bunch Nov 16th 2007 4:29 am

Originally Posted by koogar (Post 5545581)
Nothing to do in Lethvegas?
Well, admitidly, I have only spent one night there (in me truck) but I can think of a few things. You can go and photograph that funny looking building on the main drag (is it a restaurant?). :D

Koog be kind to the Bridge :p

Originally Posted by koogar (Post 5545739)
They apparently have a big corn festival there. Taber corn is famous, I was told.

Taber corn is fab - unfortunately finished until next summer. they call it peaches and cream corn yummmmmmmm

Originally Posted by rufty-tuffty (Post 5546227)
mind you ive seen them flogging okanagan fruit in lethbridge.

Yep they come every year too -can be a bit pricy but very good :thumbsup:

Originally Posted by koogar (Post 5550674)
You cheeky F***in F***er.
I am NOT!! a housewife.
If I had the time I'd give you a right F***in mouthful, but I've got laundry to do........

KOOG - that is the Tamesider in you coming out !

Hope you are ok hun

And BTW Lethbridge rocks for me guys
x

koogar Nov 16th 2007 6:46 am

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 5561055)
Koog be kind to the Bridge :p

Taber corn is fab - unfortunately finished until next summer. they call it peaches and cream corn yummmmmmmm

Yep they come every year too -can be a bit pricy but very good :thumbsup:

KOOG - that is the Tamesider in you coming out !

Hope you are ok hun

And BTW Lethbridge rocks for me guys
x

Lol..... hello Gaynor.
Glad to see you're happy and it's all working out for ya.
As you can see, I now live South of the border.
Good to hear from you.
Take care :D

johnny.rayner Nov 16th 2007 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit (Post 5560917)
Hiya folks,
Had my first taste of driving a big rig this morning, not too bad but the gearbox's are a nightmare:ohmy: Still, I managed to take a few sharp teeth off the cogs:rofl:

Have a look at who I bumped into today, we meet up for a coffee and a good old chin wag. You'll all be pleased to know there doing fine and enjoying Canada...

HI KEV
so are you still enjoying it then what box you using eaton crash box

bigwheels241 Nov 17th 2007 7:34 am

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 5559157)
Hi Mate.

Fantastic few posts there with a wealth of info it really is appreciated.

Makes interesting reading and will be good to keep an eye on the situation as it progressess.

I know there are alot of guys on here and other sites who keep asking about driving in Oz and they can only benefit from the info you have posted.

I have to admit we looked at Oz & NZ to move to But really fell in Love with Canada and I also never recieved ONE reply from either Oz or NZ when I emailed various companies (40ish approx).

Thanks again and hope you don't mind if I pass on some of the info to some guys who have asked me for help in this matter....even if it is not good news at present.

Cheers Dave

Be my guest you can use or ask any Q? in my PM, I have many contacts plus know the Aussie laws in transport very well.

(Former past Vice Pres of the Long Distance Driver) would qualify :eek::cool:

Rodger Rabbit Nov 18th 2007 8:00 pm

Hey don't swear!!! :blink: There not "crash" box's, there tickle boxs!:rofl:

You use the clutch to move out of the gear and tickle it into the next:eek: Hopefully without removing any bits of gear teeth, if you do it right the instructor won't say OUCH!:eek: Once you get used to them it's not too bad, just don't rush the change!

Whats weird is once you release the park brake you don't touch it again unless your parking!:ohmy: Even if your waiting at the lights! You can also cross your hands while steering, if he see's you feed it through your hands you get a bollocking! :unsure:

And remember you can turn right on red lights!

koogar Nov 18th 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit (Post 5571653)
Hey don't swear!!! :blink: There not "crash" box's, there tickle boxs!:rofl:

You use the clutch to move out of the gear and tickle it into the next:eek: Hopefully without removing any bits of gear teeth, if you do it right the instructor won't say OUCH!:eek: Once you get used to them it's not too bad, just don't rush the change!

Whats weird is once you release the park brake you don't touch it again unless your parking!:ohmy: Even if your waiting at the lights! You can also cross your hands while steering, if he see's you feed it through your hands you get a bollocking! :unsure:

And remember you can turn right on red lights!

Do you have to do those bloody 'S'-turns in Alberta Kev?

Rodger Rabbit Nov 18th 2007 10:22 pm

S turns???

koogar Nov 19th 2007 12:25 am

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit (Post 5572133)
S turns???

Yea.
In Saskatchewan, you have to do s-turns for your test. I just wondered if it was the same for the rest of canada.
You have to move into the curb on the approach to a right turn then move back out so your trailer stops anything from coming up the inside while you're turning.

Rodger Rabbit Nov 19th 2007 2:10 am

We have to cover the lanes in that way yes, but we just move over so there is no room for a car to nip down the side of you.:thumbup:

koogar Nov 19th 2007 2:16 am

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit (Post 5572693)
We have to cover the lanes in that way yes, but we just move over so there is no room for a car to nip down the side of you.:thumbup:

And where do you do your turnabouts in Lethbridge Kev?
In Saskatoon, they take you North past the Husky and then West onto the grid roads. It's simple out there cos there's no traffic. Do they take you somewhere similar?