H&R Interviews........

Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:32 pm
Kev and Lisa

Rodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the roughRodger Rabbit is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: H&R Interviews........

Well I think the hotel is great, rooms are clean and very comfy. Own tv, internet, coffee/tea machine, iron, ironing board (don't know what you would use them for eh Lisa?), hair dryer. They also have fantastic showers. The hotel has it's own pool and gym. Food at Denny's is good and the service is excellent. Everyone is very polite and helpful. Lethbridge is a vast place even if population is only 80k. I would recommend a car! Can't see why anyone would want to winge about it, there probley just trying to put people off. I've not had any problems or complaints.

There are always H&R trucks in the parking lot so i assume all the drivers like it too!!!

All in all i rate it
Old Nov 13th 2007, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

johnny.rayner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rodger Rabbit
Well I think the hotel is great, rooms are clean and very comfy. Own tv, internet, coffee/tea machine, iron, ironing board (don't know what you would use them for eh Lisa?), hair dryer. They also have fantastic showers. The hotel has it's own pool and gym. Food at Denny's is good and the service is excellent. Everyone is very polite and helpful. Lethbridge is a vast place even if population is only 80k. I would recommend a car! Can't see why anyone would want to winge about it, there probley just trying to put people off. I've not had any problems or complaints.

There are always H&R trucks in the parking lot so i assume all the drivers like it too!!!

All in all i rate it
Jolly good kev thats what i wanted to hear mate, i see no snow yet just looked on the highway cams well pleased to hear that exellent. keep me posted kev if ya dont mind cheers.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 3:42 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

All in all i rate it
And how many winters have you spent in Canada so far Kev?
Lol...... just teasin mate.
I hope it all works out great for ya.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koogar
And how many winters have you spent in Canada so far Kev?
Lol...... just teasin mate.
I hope it all works out great for ya.
so koogar what your opinion on canada v uk
Old Nov 13th 2007, 5:19 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnny.rayner
so koogar what your opinion on canada v uk
I'd rather live in Canada than the UK johnny. Way too many people in the UK for me. Canada is a beautiful place and, for the most part, a lot less expensive than the UK.
If I'd have stayed in Canada though, i.e. not met my wife in Wyoming, I would have got out of trucks as soon as I could. I didn't have a problem with the miles, hours, pay... any of that stuff (I was on my own and only needed enough money for cigarettes and a couple of beers now and then anyway), but driving a truck in Canada in the winter (unless you're just running around a city) is a f***ing dangerous job. It really is. Get up into those mountains in the winter and it's another world. You can see some of the pictures on my blog from last winter to see how it can get and also some of the wreckage around. A lot of it has to do with things you can't control. I'd quite happily run from Calgary to Vancouver all winter long if I had the road to myself. But, you can't control the other trucks going too fast and sliding into your lane going in the opposite direction. And you've got to remember that it's not like being in a wreck on the M6 when you're pretty much always within 10 minutes of emergency services. Wreck up there, in those conditions, and it can take an hour plus for anyone to get to you, and that's if they can get to you at all.
Please don't misunderstand me though. I know some people come on here and try to put people off going to Canada. I also know, from experience, that some of what they say is true and other people get upset because they only like to hear good things about Canada. A lot of the time, it seems that if someone says something bad about trucking in Canada, or Canada in general, people just think they are having a 'pop' at Canada, even if what they are saying is true. I like Canada, I just didn't much like driving a truck there in the winter (that's around 6 months, by the way )
I'd never try to put anyone off going to Canada. I'm really, really glad I did it and I am very happy I have the experience of it and some great memories. The only way to really know what it's like is to go do it. It's a great adventure. But, for f***s sake, don't just dismiss any negative things said about it as someone just having a dig at you or the country. There's good and bad, and without both, you can never get a true picture of what to expect.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Koog.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

but driving a truck in Canada in the winter (unless you're just running around a city) is a f***ing dangerous job. It really is. Get up into those mountains in the winter and it's another world. You can see some of the pictures on my blog from last winter to see how it can get and also some of the wreckage around. Koog.

OK, I also agree, in 1996 I did a few jobs into Canada only went to Calgary and up to Wistler but unlike the UK, you will soon learn how to brace yourself in the drivers seat.

Not like driving up or down the M1 or M6 - This place is heaven (UK) compared to conditions in Canada during winter.

(If you do not like the COLD, then go drive for this Company in Australia, they are looking also for drivers.)
Toll Groupe - Which includes many former top Australian trucking Co's of yester-year.

http://www.toll.com.au/milestone1990.html

http://www.toll.com.au/about.html
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

I'd rather live in Canada than the UK johnny. Way too many people in the UK for me. Canada is a beautiful place and, for the most part, a lot less expensive than the UK.
If I'd have stayed in Canada though, i.e. not met my wife in Wyoming, I would have got out of trucks as soon as I could. I didn't have a problem with the miles, hours, pay... any of that stuff (I was on my own and only needed enough money for cigarettes and a couple of beers now and then anyway), but driving a truck in Canada in the winter (unless you're just running around a city) is a f***ing dangerous job. It really is. Get up into those mountains in the winter and it's another world. You can see some of the pictures on my blog from last winter to see how it can get and also some of the wreckage around. A lot of it has to do with things you can't control. I'd quite happily run from Calgary to Vancouver all winter long if I had the road to myself. But, you can't control the other trucks going too fast and sliding into your lane going in the opposite direction. And you've got to remember that it's not like being in a wreck on the M6 when you're pretty much always within 10 minutes of emergency services. Wreck up there, in those conditions, and it can take an hour plus for anyone to get to you, and that's if they can get to you at all.
Please don't misunderstand me though. I know some people come on here and try to put people off going to Canada. I also know, from experience, that some of what they say is true and other people get upset because they only like to hear good things about Canada. A lot of the time, it seems that if someone says something bad about trucking in Canada, or Canada in general, people just think they are having a 'pop' at Canada, even if what they are saying is true. I like Canada, I just didn't much like driving a truck there in the winter (that's around 6 months, by the way )
I'd never try to put anyone off going to Canada. I'm really, really glad I did it and I am very happy I have the experience of it and some great memories. The only way to really know what it's like is to go do it. It's a great adventure. But, for f***s sake, don't just dismiss any negative things said about it as someone just having a dig at you or the country. There's good and bad, and without both, you can never get a true picture of what to expect.
Good luck, whatever you decide.
Koog.
Well Koogar i really appreciate ya honesty ,i now it aint gonna be a holiday
and the only way is to do it yourself,i say you only live life once so live it to the full,but i dont no it all, nobody ever doe's no it all, but the ones to ask is the ones who's done the job,did read your blog but stopped when you became a housewife (girlyballbag) lol,anyway thanks for that and no doubt i will talk to you later,im starting to get addicted to this bloody site .
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:36 pm
Whatacomplete Member

Well Koogar i really appreciate ya honesty ,i now it aint gonna be a holiday
and the only way is to do it yourself,i say you only live life once so live it to the full,but i dont no it all, nobody ever doe's no it all, but the ones to ask is the ones who's done the job,did read your blog but stopped when you became a housewife (girlyballbag) lol,anyway thanks for that and no doubt i will talk to you later,im starting to get addicted to this bloody site .
You cheeky F***in F***er.
I am NOT!! a housewife.
If I had the time I'd give you a right F***in mouthful, but I've got laundry to do........
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

You cheeky F***in F***er.
I am NOT!! a housewife.
If I had the time I'd give you a right F***in mouthful, but I've got laundry to do........
WHAT KOOGAR DOING LAUNDRY HOPE YOU'VE DONE THE DISHES ,MADE THE BEDS ,DUSTING AHHHH DEAR STILL LAUGHING AT YA LAST REPLY IT TICKLED ME ANYWAY I WAS JUST LOOKING AT MY CAB WINDOW NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK CURTAINS OR NETS, I WOULD OF ASKED THE WIFE BUT I THOUGHT ID
ASK YOU SINCE YOUR DOMESICATED.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 7:56 pm
Whatacomplete Member

WHAT KOOGAR DOING LAUNDRY HOPE YOU'VE DONE THE DISHES ,MADE THE BEDS ,DUSTING AHHHH DEAR STILL LAUGHING AT YA LAST REPLY IT TICKLED ME ANYWAY I WAS JUST LOOKING AT MY CAB WINDOW NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK CURTAINS OR NETS, I WOULD OF ASKED THE WIFE BUT I THOUGHT ID
ASK YOU SINCE YOUR DOMESICATED.
lol..... koogar, the domesticated cat.
Who would have thunk it?
Old Nov 13th 2007, 10:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
OK, I also agree, in 1996 I did a few jobs into Canada only went to Calgary and up to Wistler but unlike the UK, you will soon learn how to brace yourself in the drivers seat.

Not like driving up or down the M1 or M6 - This place is heaven (UK) compared to conditions in Canada during winter.

(If you do not like the COLD, then go drive for this Company in Australia, they are looking also for drivers.)
Toll Groupe - Which includes many former top Australian trucking Co's of yester-year.

http://www.toll.com.au/milestone1990.html

http://www.toll.com.au/about.html
Is this possible as the last I heard truck driving was not on the MODL or skill shortage list for Oz and won't be for quite some time. the ATA told me there was plans afoot to bring a test case of 100 drivers to see how things went but the truck unions kicked up a stink and it then had to go through Oz parliament which was going to take a good while anything up to 2 years to approve as it was not seen as a priority even though like other places ther is a massive shortage of drivers...bit like the USA..big shortage impossible to get visa as a driver to work.

Has there been a change in policy your aware of or !!!! a little back door.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Is this possible as the last I heard truck driving was not on the MODL or skill shortage list for Oz and won't be for quite some time. the ATA told me there was plans afoot to bring a test case of 100 drivers to see how things went but the truck unions kicked up a stink and it then had to go through Oz parliament which was going to take a good while anything up to 2 years to approve as it was not seen as a priority even though like other places ther is a massive shortage of drivers...bit like the USA..big shortage impossible to get visa as a driver to work.

I just have time to say (Stay Tuned to this forum) as I am off on another long haul trip today.

But, there are ways to get into Australia, call it Understanding the system or - Backdoor way, but will give you an idea later when have time to write more.
Old Nov 14th 2007, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
I just have time to say (Stay Tuned to this forum) as I am off on another long haul trip today.

But, there are ways to get into Australia, call it Understanding the system or - Backdoor way, but will give you an idea later when have time to write more.
Thanks for the reply BW's

Becareful and look out for jumping walls and silver BMW's parked illegaly
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

All in all i rate it
hows it going kev you been in a truck yet
Old Nov 14th 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC

OK, there are a few things that have changed in Australia - Yes it is a fact that the LDDA (Long Distance Drivers Assoc) in Australia kicked up a stink when it came to drivers taking local jobs. However, there are ways to Cut-The-Red Tape and this is:

Obtain a driving Job in New Zealand, they to are screaming for drivers, the NZ Govt will grant any British Passport holder a temp Residency in which after I think it is 3-yrs you can exchange that to Perm Residence.

Once you are in NZ you are then considered in Australian eyes as from New Zealand and working for any transport co in Aussie is not the same as leaving direct from UK to Aus.

(See the loop hole)?

Last year, the NZ Ecconomic Developement Commission sponsored drivers from UK, (Meaning they PAID in full for them to migrate) Not sure if that scheme is still running.

I told a few about it, some went and I have lost contact (Some may read this) if you are (Bloody Write )

If you PM me I will talk direct about other avenues for those who want to skip-the red tape into Australia and even direct contacts for Jobs (Line-Haul) Auckland - Wellington which is one of the best runs in Kiwi not to say much like UK.

On another front, the Aussies consider a shortage in driver is upon them, have a read of an ABC Radio transcript - This will say more.

Australian Broadcasting Corporation

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT

'Skills shortage' hits transport industry
Reporter: Nick Grimm

KERRY O'BRIEN: According to the latest official figures, more than 150 foreign workers are arriving here every day in response to the nation's shortage of skilled workers. Now the transport industry wants to deal itself into the game, arguing there aren't enough trained truck drivers to keep the wheels turning, underscoring just how widespread the shortage really is. The problem for the industry is that truck drivers are regarded as only semi-skilled, making foreign drivers ineligible under the Federal Government's skilled migration rules. But the union is arguing that the industry move is part of a strategy to drive down wages, and adds to the concern that Australia will simply end up with more and more low-paid foreign workers. Nick Grimm reports.

BILL VANDERMAST, THE TRUCK TRAINING CENTRE: (Addressing a trainee truck driver) Just hold it there for a sec. Now, what I wanted to do was to show you a little bit about what they call axle drag. (In the ensuing interview) I don't think there's a need so much to be bringing people in from the outside. I think it's more of a shortfall in the training itself. (Addressing a trainee truck driver) This axle here, it wanted to go straight ahead, but what's happening is the front axle is starting to turn sideways.

NICK GRIMM: Anyone wanting to drive trucks for a living, there's more to it than jumping in the cab and turning the key.

BILL VANDERMAST: (Addressing a trainee truck driver) What I want you to do is pick a low gear, just go nice and slow.

NICK GRIMM: In fact, there's a lot to learn and it's why driving instructors like Bill Vandermast specialise in teaching the finer points of controlling tonnes of mobile metal and rubber.

BILL VANDERMAST: (Addressing a trainee truck driver) That's it. Just keep coming. (In the ensuing interview) It does enable someone who doesn't know anything about a truck to be able to drive competently on the road - alright, they're not going to run into people; they can reverse it in and out of driveways; they know how to tie a knot; they know how to secure the load, but it doesn't necessarily prepare them for doing the job.

NICK GRIMM: But talk to anyone with a bit of experience with truck driving and they'll tell you that learning is the easy part.

KEN HURST, TRUCK DRIVER: Too many hours, too much pressure; unachievable deadlines, unachievable working conditions; just not safe.

NICK GRIMM: 52-year-old Ken Hurst is getting out after 30 years behind the wheel doing a job that he says drove him to the edge.

KEN HURST: Well, I started off as a local driver. Went to interstate, became to a point where drugs became an issue, where, on the odd occasion, had to take something to make sure I had the job done; unrealistic deadlines that you couldn't achieve; back loads that you couldn't come back on the same time frames that you had to go down on.

NICK GRIMM: It's little surprise then that transport companies are having trouble finding drivers prepared to stay on the road.

DUNCAN ABLETT, ABLETT'S TRANSPORT: In our situation, we found that there's less inquiry from people coming in off the street. Most of our drivers are in their 40s - this is the interstate drivers - and older. So, there's a real gap of labour once these older people retire or move out of the industry in about five or six years.

NICK GRIMM: According to official forecasts, Australia's total freight workload is expected to double in the next 15 years. That means a lot more big rigs on the roads and, of course, more drivers needed behind the wheel. The problem is where to find them.

DUNCAN ABLETT: I'm not sure how we can cope unless we bring in some overseas people.

NICK GRIMM: Duncan Ablett isn't alone in looking overseas for the solution to the shortage of truckies. The Road Transport Industry Group, the Australian Trucking Association, has already taken the plan to the Federal Government.

DAMIAN McFARLANE, AUSTRALIAN TRUCKING ASSOCIATION: Well, we see it as a possible short-term solution, as there are skilled drivers throughout Europe and various parts of the globe, that are eager to actually come to Australia because of the lifestyle we have. Conditions here in Australia are very good, not just in terms of employment, but also lifestyle.

NICK GRIMM: Foreign-trained workers are already coming to Australia under the Federal Immigration Department's 457 Visa. It's a four-year work permit for skilled migrants. The catch for the trucking industry is that truck drivers aren't classified as skilled workers; rather, they're defined as semi-skilled.

DAMIAN McFARLANE: If you look at the magnitude of the job, the average long-haul driver is given an asset worth more than $300,000, let alone the value of the freight. There's a lot of trust. The skill level that's required to operate that machinery or that technology is fairly high. So, I think, we can quite easily establish that yes, they are a skill.

NICK GRIMM: The Australian Trucking Association represents influential business interests like Australia's largest road freight operator, Toll Holdings. It wants truckies' special skills to be recognised so that they're eligible for 457 Visa. The company declined a request to speak about the issue, but in its online newsletter argues that hiring foreign truckies is a better option than training Australian drivers:

"Skilled migration offers a more immediate solution. [...] The 457 Visa [...] can be an excellent way to recruit for areas where Toll cannot compete [...] for instance, central QLD, where Toll loses many drivers to the mining industry. [...] Is it time to bring the global road to our doorstep?"

NICK GRIMM: Well, if you represent 40,000 Australian truck drivers, no way. The Transport Workers' Union claims Toll's global road will be a dangerous route.

TONY SHELDON, TRANSPORT WORKERS UNION: It's going to be a killing field out there if we haven't already got it. It's going to be worse. It's going to be people from everywhere from Cambodia to Bangladesh to other parts of the world coming in, taking Australians' jobs.

NICK GRIMM: Union attitudes like that smack of racism, according to a Federal Government that prides itself on deciding who comes into this country and the circumstances in which they come. But the TWU says there would be no shortage of drivers if companies simply offered better pay and conditions.

TONY SHELDON: What's wrong with paying people a decent pay rate to get them into the trucks? I mean, that's what we're supposed to be getting told: supply and demand is supposed to be driving this. What the Government wants to do is affect the wages going up by bringing overseas workers in to drive everyone's wages down.

NICK GRIMM: Meanwhile, Ken Hurst is joining other disenchanted truckies who have moved on. From now on he'll be driving a desk for a living in his new job as an organiser with the TWU. But his advice to other drivers? Get out if you can.

KEN HURST: It's not an industry that's attractive to a young person, if you... for me, I drive a B-Double, I get 33 cents a kilometre - it's not a lot of money. If my son, who I tried to get into this industry, went - he's a jeweller, he earns more money than I do. He's 19 years of age. He earns better money than I do.

DAMIAN McFARLANE: Gone are the days where it's very much 'my dad taught me to drive sitting on his knee and, therefore, I can drive a truck' - that's not the case. It's very advanced technology. These people are not just truck drivers; they are professional vehicle operators.

NICK GRIMM: Maybe so, but professional vehicle operators, or truckies as they're known to most, are represented by a union that's threatening aggressive industrial action to put the brakes on what it sees as big business exploiting overseas workers desperate for a job. Meanwhile, is this the thin edge of a wedge being pushed into the Immigration Department's skilled migration scheme? For its part, the Australian Trucking Association admits they're not alone in seeking to widen the existing definition of skilled migrants.

DAMIAN McFARLANE: I know that we're not the first industry group to go down this path and I'm sure we won't be the last. I think there's a message for the community at large: that we need to look closely at the skills that we're training our young people with.

BILL VANDERMAST: (Addressing a trainee truck driver) Just put it in a low gear and drive it slowly forward. As you come forward, just slowly turn it to full lock for me.

NICK GRIMM: For driving instructor Bill Vandermast, though, the solution to the industry's problems seem simple, and that's to make sure there are no lousy drivers of any nationality on Australia's roads.

BILL VANDERMAST: Everybody seems to think, "Oh well, he's just a truck driver. He doesn't need training. He's only got to drive it from here to there." And until that system is addressed by management, then you're never going to get the truck drivers that you want - you know, whether you get them from overseas or you just get people off the dole and get them to drive a truck, you'll never get the proper truck drivers to do the proper job unless they receive that training.

KERRY O'BRIEN: The Immigration Department says negotiations on an agreement with the trucking industry over importing drivers are continuing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.