British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   H and R (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/h-r-733414/)

ANNASHEP Sep 23rd 2011 7:25 pm

H and R

Hi again, just wondering if anyone can give me any information on H and R Transport? My husband has had an interview with them. I have read some very encouraging things but my husband has been told some not so good things, any first hand information would be greatfully received. good or bad.

Steve_P Sep 23rd 2011 7:30 pm

Re: H and R

Originally Posted by ANNASHEP (Post 9638512)
Hi again, just wondering if anyone can give me any information on H and R Transport? My husband has had an interview with them. I have read some very encouraging things but my husband has been told some not so good things, any first hand information would be greatfully received. good or bad.

You'll likely get a much better response to your question in the "Trucking Forum" ;)

Located here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=118

ANNASHEP Sep 23rd 2011 7:35 pm

ok, thanks will try that. Am new to this forum stuff!:)

Steve_P Sep 23rd 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by ANNASHEP (Post 9638535)

Welcome to BE and I hope you get all the answers you need there.

Also don't hesitate to come back to this forum for general Canada stuff. :)

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2011 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by ANNASHEP (Post 9638535)

Don't worry, I shall move this one for you to save you posting it again. I'm sure the guys in the trucking forum will be able to help, and there are probably lots of other threads on H&R that would be worth you reading in there.

:)

Gremmie Sep 23rd 2011 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by ANNASHEP (Post 9638512)

You will here good and bad about any trucking company any where in the world, your hubby should know that. Just bare in mind they are offering you a "Temporary position" on a "Temporary Work Permit" thats all any company has to offer and that a qualification niveau has to be reached for PR status. Go to the trucking form as suggested for more info.

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2011 7:58 pm

And just to add to Gremmie's wise words about a TWP, don't forget that depending on where you are going, you may not be able to work as the spouse of a trucker (ditto for your children - you don't say how old they are but just something to bear in mind if they are older teenagers that might want a part-time job or similar).

Gremmie Sep 23rd 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 9638596)
And just to add to Gremmie's wise words about a TWP, don't forget that depending on where you are going, you may not be able to work as the spouse of a trucker (ditto for your children - you don't say how old they are but just something to bear in mind if they are older teenagers that might want a part-time job or similar).

H&R are "Alberda" based where wives can work:thumbsup:

christmasoompa Sep 23rd 2011 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Gremmie (Post 9638717)
H&R are "Alberda" based where wives can work:thumbsup:

Ah, ok - had no idea which province they were in! Thanks Gremmie. So she can work, although any kids can't, but they may be young so it may not be an issue.

ANNASHEP Sep 24th 2011 9:03 am

Hi, Thanks again for all advice.......... keep it coming. My girls are 17, 15, 4 and 2!!!!!! Yes I know lots of girls. I think our advantage is that my husband is Canadian to start off with, he's been in Uk for 20 years but wants to go home.

PMM Sep 24th 2011 4:06 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by ANNASHEP (Post 9639543)
Hi, Thanks again for all advice.......... keep it coming. My girls are 17, 15, 4 and 2!!!!!! Yes I know lots of girls. I think our advantage is that my husband is Canadian to start off with, he's been in Uk for 20 years but wants to go home.

It really makes a change in the situation. Assuming he is father of the girls, and was a Canadian citizen at their birth. They are also Canadian citizens. All you have to do is apply for proof of citizenship for them. Your spouse should start the ball rolling for a spousal sponsorship for you.

ANNASHEP Sep 25th 2011 4:15 pm

Thanks for the info, the younger two are his but the older two aren't, we have been told all we have to do is get written consent from their father, which he is more than happy to do. I know my 15 year old won't be a problem but we plan to join him in august next year and my oldest will be 18! Can anyone tell me what the situation will be on me working, as the spouse of canadian citizen? Also, do british electricals work out there?? Laptops etc. I don't mean to sound thick but these are all questions that keep popping into my head (which is spinning in excitement and trepidation). Oh also what is the situation on taking my dog with me, she is just a small lurcher, whippet type size, maybe a little bigger.:D

PMM Sep 25th 2011 5:01 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by ANNASHEP (Post 9641256)
Thanks for the info, the younger two are his but the older two aren't, we have been told all we have to do is get written consent from their father, which he is more than happy to do. I know my 15 year old won't be a problem but we plan to join him in august next year and my oldest will be 18! Can anyone tell me what the situation will be on me working, as the spouse of canadian citizen? Also, do british electricals work out there?? Laptops etc. I don't mean to sound thick but these are all questions that keep popping into my head (which is spinning in excitement and trepidation). Oh also what is the situation on taking my dog with me, she is just a small lurcher, whippet type size, maybe a little bigger.:D

1. Your spouse has to sponsor you and the non Canadian children for PR.
2. He can start the process while living abroad, but you will not be able to work until you receive your PR. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp He will have to submit a plan for settlement in Canada with the sponsorship.
3. You will have problems with your electric appliances, 240 v 120 and different plugs. Laptops, check to see if they are dual voltage, most are.
4. Yes you can take the dog, it is expensive though, search the forum for dogs.

christmasoompa Sep 26th 2011 9:39 am

Originally Posted by ANNASHEP (Post 9641256)

If you follow the link in my signature, it'll take you to the Wiki which has articles on all of these questions i.e. transporting pets, compatability of electrical goods, etc.

As PMM has said, you and your children will need to sort visas as the first step, and if you have any questions on that you can ask in the Canadian immigration forum.

Nikkinoo75 Oct 2nd 2011 9:43 am

Thought I'd say hi as my husband has just had his interview with H and R transport too. Have you heard anything yet? We were told they'd let us know first week in October. Would be good to chat : )