British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Going alone initially - anyone else done it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/going-alone-initially-anyone-else-done-814811/)

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 Nov 11th 2013 9:05 am

Going alone initially - anyone else done it?

For various reasons, me and the missus have been discussing the benefits of me travelling to canada alone for the first couple of months. We are lucky, in that, she and our son, are able to stay in the UK with her parents. So, obviously, no costs.

We are thinking it best that I go and get settled in my job, suss out the area, save some money etc.... first. Do employers allow you to 'live' in your truck for a couple of months?

Has anyone else done this? How did you find it. Can anyone think of pros and cons we may not have thought of.

All in all, it seems a sensible option. What if I hate the job and the country after a few weeks? This is unlikely, but would be easier to deal with/ rectify without a wife and 3 year old in tow.

neilg14 Nov 11th 2013 1:36 pm

Re: Going alone initially - anyone else done it?

That's the best way to do it, come out alone, get a feel for the job & maybe where you'd like to live.
I lived in the truck for over 3 years only having occasional nights in motels.
No problem with a lot of companies but check first.
If you hate it, just go back home, Canada's not for everyone, it's better you realise before you bring the family out here.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 Nov 11th 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10985970)
That's the best way to do it, come out alone, get a feel for the job & maybe where you'd like to live.
I lived in the truck for over 3 years only having occasional nights in motels.
No problem with a lot of companies but check first.
If you hate it, just go back home, Canada's not for everyone, it's better you realise before you bring the family out here.

That's what I was thinking Neil. Don't want to drag them all the way to Canada to find out I don't like the job or the place! We thought 2-3 months apart would also give me time to save some money to make the move go smoother when she does finally come over. Is it cheap to live on the road over there? Will I be able to save much?
Do you know if doing things this way has any adverse effect on visas, work permits etc......for the missus and son?

neilg14 Nov 11th 2013 2:45 pm

You'll need some money to tie you over until you get paid and maybe pay for your training & tests, accommodation, medical, piss & drug test, licence exchange, hire car, work gear, etc etc.
Depending on what company you go with, how much you have to spend up-front.
Some companies pay for some of it then take it out of your wages, maybe if you go with a smaller company, you can negotiate.
Providing you are getting good miles you can save a good amount of that money.
It doesn't cost a fortune to live on the road, I use to have 1 meal a day and other things for snacks, (I couldn't be doing with all the cooking-in-cab).
Free coffee/showers with fueling.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 Nov 11th 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10986065)
You'll need some money to tie you over until you get paid and maybe pay for your training & tests, accommodation, medical, piss & drug test, licence exchange, hire car, work gear, etc etc.
Depending on what company you go with, how much you have to spend up-front.
Some companies pay for some of it then take it out of your wages, maybe if you go with a smaller company, you can negotiate.
Providing you are getting good miles you can save a good amount of that money.
It doesn't cost a fortune to live on the road, I use to have 1 meal a day and other things for snacks, (I couldn't be doing with all the cooking-in-cab).
Free coffee/showers with fueling.

Cheers Pal! who are you on for these days?

neilg14 Nov 11th 2013 3:28 pm

I am only a yard shunter now, home everyday, but I was with H&R for over 5 years, 3 1/2 years OTR & 2 years shunting, would be with them still if yard contract not changed hands.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 Nov 11th 2013 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10986144)
I am only a yard shunter now, home everyday, but I was with H&R for over 5 years, 3 1/2 years OTR & 2 years shunting, would be with them still if yard contract not changed hands.

Sorry for the thousand and one questions....but, H&R are berated quite badly on here!

Who am I to believe? Are they really THAT bad? I have been put off applying for them (and to be fair, on paper, they look like a great company) by some of the horror stories i've read!

neilg14 Nov 11th 2013 4:39 pm

I had no problems there with them, but bearing in mind I came off the road over 3 years ago & the shunting was/is hourly paid.
We get drivers in our yard all the time saying they can't get the miles and are sitting unpaid for too long.
Then again some drivers have been there a long time so I don't know what to say.
Might be an idea to try and stay away from reefers altogether, I think they're the worst job for hanging around unpaid & it's not only H&R.
If I was moving out here now, I would seriously look at going to SK or MB & probably not AB because of all the PR hassle.
Looking at Kijijii jobs the mileage pay is about the same but far better value houses there.
Keep looking and asking questions.

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer2 Nov 11th 2013 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 10986289)
I had no problems there with them, but bearing in mind I came off the road over 3 years ago & the shunting was/is hourly paid.
We get drivers in our yard all the time saying they can't get the miles and are sitting unpaid for too long.
Then again some drivers have been there a long time so I don't know what to say.
Might be an idea to try and stay away from reefers altogether, I think they're the worst job for hanging around unpaid & it's not only H&R.
If I was moving out here now, I would seriously look at going to SK or MB & probably not AB because of all the PR hassle.
Looking at Kijijii jobs the mileage pay is about the same but far better value houses there.
Keep looking and asking questions.

Thanks again Neil :)

John a trains Dec 10th 2013 7:17 am

That's the way I did it too. I took the time to sit my test and get settled which was the way most guys I came in contact with did it also. We were put into a rooming house to start with, then were able to use the truck or keep the room on.
What province are you looking to go to? I can tell you about New Brunswick warts and all if your interested.
John

Milanuk Dec 13th 2013 9:44 pm

I think its a good decision. One of my mates did it like that but he was here alone about one year before his wife and 3 kids arrived.Now they are all happy. he rented a 3 bedroom house for 1600 including bills. I tell you my experience. In Timeline we all live in trucks. If I do my 36 off anywhere out of Saskatoon..my boss pays for my hotel bill. I spend in average 400 to 500 USD/month for food and phone in states. I by my lunch every day in restaurant. You will spend less if you cook yourself. In Canada I spend about 200 CAD becouse I spend here less time. You should bring 5000 CAD with you for start.