Getting off your bum

Old Mar 19th 2017, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

kingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nice
Default Getting off your bum

Hi All,

From speaking to different members and reading different posts, i have come to the conclusion that Canadian trucking companies have stopped applying for LMIA's. Now you have to look at the bigger picture ask yourselves why?
some of it is down to the province but i believe majority is down to people letting them down. It costs the Trucking company x amount of dollars and time to apply for LMIA's and they have been let down for one reason or another.
So my approach is going to be book a flight spend 2 weeks going to see potential companies and selling myself to them, let them see me, see what there investing in, show them i am not a dreamer and i'm here because i want to make it happen.
what i would like help with is potential Trucking companies i can visit during my 2 weeks here, i would like to interview at least 3-4 in different companies in different provinces. i understand that certain provinces will be harder to get into than others, but if you don't try you will never know.
Chuck as many Trucking companies at me and i will contact them and arrange an interview on the dates i am coming over.
I will be over in may.
If any of you want to meet up for a beer im fine with that lol
if you want anything bringing over form uk you can't get in Canada let me know.

Cheers
Old Mar 21st 2017, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting off your bum

check out the east coast companies now as they have a push on for incomers in the atlantic provinces ...AIPP check it out atlantic immigration pilot program.
Old Mar 29th 2017, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice from Jimmy.If you are looking to visit 2 or 3 provinces I wouldnt bother with Ontario as they dont allow truck drivers on TWP to apply for PR.Manitoba and Saskatchewan were the 2 provinces where foreign drivers had a little bit more success finding jobs.Im in Calgary if you want to meet for beer if you come here to Alberta.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Some companies are not doing LMIA's now because they couldn't/wouldn't pay the salary specified on the LMIA.
As for the $1,000, for the LMIA application, I remember and agree with what FTTM said awile back, FFS, it's only the price of a tank of diesel.
SK & MB are your best chance of getting a job and to stay permanently.
From what I've read from other drivers, the Eastern provinces pay garbage wages and with nearly all of them, you get stuck in that triangle over East, working days then nights, waiting a long time for loads with no pay.
AB now, has virtually no LMIA's, the last I heard or read about was about 18mths ago.
Even the usual big companies have backed out of the TWP's altogether.
Good luck.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

aye kingshrek if you can afford it get in with the eastern.maritime AAIP ,provinces .get your licence some miles under your belt then after a couple o years an pr ..bigger an better things live a quite life don't spend ,bide your time keep your head down ,do it the Canadian way,prove yourself , and for ffs don't argue with dispatch as they have a weird way of sitting you unpaid as punishment for talking back. (aye I know ,I learned the hard way play them at there on game) BUT BUT its a risk if you have a family see Neils post if you must its a way in when most roads are closed . ..... NOW I would say a week on holiday for a look see is a must wae a bundle o CVs and knock on doors as Canadian companies are not well known for answering emails..even phone and speak to HR dept /driver manager say you are coming over and see what they say. jimmy

Last edited by jamesmc; Apr 3rd 2017 at 4:37 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 6:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingshrek
From speaking to different members and reading different posts, i have come to the conclusion that Canadian trucking companies have stopped applying for LMIA's. Now you have to look at the bigger picture ask yourselves why?
some of it is down to the province but i believe majority is down to people letting them down.
I think that the main reason is simply that most trucking companies fell foul of the 'no more than x percentage of foreign workers' rules, as they already had more than that in their workforce, so simply couldn't hire any more.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think that the main reason is simply that most trucking companies fell foul of the 'no more than x percentage of foreign workers' rules, as they already had more than that in their workforce, so simply couldn't hire any more.
Yes, this as well, I know of one company that couldn't renew 40 drivers TWP's because they were way over the limit.
Old Apr 8th 2017, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
aye kingshrek if you can afford it get in with the eastern.maritime AAIP ,provinces .get your licence some miles under your belt then after a couple o years an pr ..bigger an better things live a quite life don't spend ,bide your time keep your head down ,do it the Canadian way,prove yourself , and for ffs don't argue with dispatch as they have a weird way of sitting you unpaid as punishment for talking back. (aye I know ,I learned the hard way play them at there on game) BUT BUT its a risk if you have a family see Neils post if you must its a way in when most roads are closed . ..... NOW I would say a week on holiday for a look see is a must wae a bundle o CVs and knock on doors as Canadian companies are not well known for answering emails..even phone and speak to HR dept /driver manager say you are coming over and see what they say. jimmy
That's what I did Jim , made appointments during a vacation and it worked well , then went down a totally different route , hindsight etc but no regrets .
OP, focus on MB/SK , could be worth contacting their relevant trucking associations (each Province has one)for pointers . We have a 4on/4off tanker job coming up in Winterpeg but it requires PR and a clean Canadian drivers abstract .

Last edited by flat to the mat; Apr 8th 2017 at 1:38 am.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

kingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nicekingshrek is just really nice

Been working away so not had chance to get back on.

Thanks for all the posts all very helpfull,
After speaking to many potential employers it seems LMIA are dead and burried, but i fit the Monitoba Scheme which most companies are using as a route in. I will be looking into the AIPP scheme and see what new foundland has to offer.
May 9th i land in Winnepeg for 2 weeks so lets see what i can i do.

I will be visiting friends in Sakastoon and Calgary,

Cant wait
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

After speaking to many potential employers it seems LMIA are dead and burried, but i fit the Monitoba Scheme which most companies are using as a route in. I will be looking into the AIPP scheme and see what new foundland has to offer.

Cant wait

Try Edge Transport in Saskatoon. They always had some LMIA
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Cant wait
Good luck.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kingshrek if you are coming ower ..look at the Morden initiative within MBPNP (its for a city in the southern half of MB they have their own rules ) as companies like CHEVAL are expanding and need drivers MON-frid weekends off. ..friend always trying to get me to start withthem.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Thanks james, I have sent them an email asking for a chat/interview while im over, the MPNP scheme looks to be another way in and faster by the looks of it.
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:06 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Good luck.
cheers mate
Old Apr 22nd 2017, 10:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Milanuk
Try Edge Transport in Saskatoon. They always had some LMIA

Im sure I have all ready emailed this company, will try again as im sure like most they get a lot of enquiries. will still turn up on there door step to have a chat lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.