Frustrated

Old Dec 4th 2014, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Frustrated

Originally Posted by meritor
That "we are hiring sign",Its' one full side of a 53ft trailer,Are they making a point that they need driver's.

On the highway from Emerson to Winnipeg there Driver's wanted is the third one in about 70 mile's!!!!.
Yes you are right it is a trailer but almost all trucking companies in Canada are needing drivers.It will be interesting to see how the new rules work out over the next 2yrs.If they cant hire the amount of foreign drivers as before how are they going to attract canadian drivers? Cant see them putting up the rates .
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

Originally Posted by neilcumming
Yes you are right it is a trailer but almost all trucking companies in Canada are needing drivers.It will be interesting to see how the new rules work out over the next 2yrs.If they cant hire the amount of foreign drivers as before how are they going to attract canadian drivers? Cant see them putting up the rates .
Putting up the rate of pay!! my bottom.
Have you ever noticed that Canadian transport comany's will say in there portfolio's and advert's,We treat our driver's with respect,your a name here not a number,We have great facility's,Our restroom's and shower's our driver's lounge,Our dispatcher's,Our truck's etc,so on and so forth,How about treating the wallet with respect???,Not many mention the rate of pay do they,Them that do mention the rate's of pay it's a laugh really.They are crap for what a driver has to do for it.

I mentioned treating the driver with respect in the wallet to a recruiter once!!,Well i have never heard so much BS in my life,She went on to say we are working for the same rate's we were getting in 2000 blaa de blaaa,I replied that's your problem aint it.

If the pay was double it is now then it might be quite worth while being a driver.

I had thought about a driver surcharge just like the fuel thing,But hey ho.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Putting up the rate of pay!! my bottom.
Have you ever noticed that Canadian transport comany's will say in there portfolio's and advert's,We treat our driver's with respect,your a name here not a number,We have great facility's,Our restroom's and shower's our driver's lounge,Our dispatcher's,Our truck's etc,so on and so forth,How about treating the wallet with respect???,Not many mention the rate of pay do they,Them that do mention the rate's of pay it's a laugh really.They are crap for what a driver has to do for it.

I mentioned treating the driver with respect in the wallet to a recruiter once!!,Well i have never heard so much BS in my life,She went on to say we are working for the same rate's we were getting in 2000 blaa de blaaa,I replied that's your problem aint it.

If the pay was double it is now then it might be quite worth while being a driver.

I had thought about a driver surcharge just like the fuel thing,But hey ho.
Yes I know,they dont seem to get it.I know one company in MB whos starting rate is 36c !They have a loyalty scheme where you are given a "rise" of 0.5c every year ,so in 10yrs you will be on 41c a mile I still dont understand how the 1st drop and 1st pickup is "free" ,I dont work for free!
Where are these drivers going to come from then.I dont think the government have thought this through,sounds too much of knee jerk reaction.Working at Timmies or McDonalds is very different from truck driving ,so I dont think these new rules will last long,not in the transport industry.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

aye neil I recon the big problem will be the lowering of the % of drivers on LMOs at each company. The 2year maximum as a TWP and then banned from working for 4 yrs in Canada(if you don't get PNP nomination,) is another big stumbling block for people with families , as it is a HUGE risk to take especially in some provinces that take over 2yrs to get PNP.

Last edited by jamesmc; Dec 5th 2014 at 3:14 pm. Reason: duh
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

darrenreeves is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going over to Nova Scotia in January
I will be going to companies and asking
If they are prepared to take on overseas
Workers there are good hard working
Truck drivers over here who want to
Make that move hopefully something
Will change in January with lmia and nominee
Me and my partner are ready to move
If we can get work
Old Dec 5th 2014, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jamesmc
aye neil I recon the big problem will be the lowering of the % of drivers on LMOs at each company. The 2year maximum as a TWP and then banned from working for 4 yrs in Canada(if you don't get PNP nomination,) is another big stumbling block for people with families , as it is a HUGE risk to take especially in some provinces that take over 2yrs to get PNP.
I didnt know that Jimmy.That is a big risk to take .We will have to wait and see out it works out in the next couple of years.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by darrenreeves
If we can get work
Darren the companies that you are going to visit they have LMIAs or getting them? They reason I ask is not all companies use the foreign worker program,they cant be bothered with the hassle.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

In theory, the number of drivers with TWPs must be getting smaller as more and more drivers get Permanent Residency. So it follows that the Lmia will be available to more and more companies. But it will be the same companies looking for foreign drivers; the companies that cannot attract Canadian drivers because their pay and conditions are so bad. That's the way it always has been and should be taken into consideration when thinking about coming to Canada to drive trucks.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

But these LMIA's are not freely available to these Co's now because they don't meet the criteria ie. wages, etc. set out by the govt.
I've not seen one truck job advertised with LMIA's since it came in, in Sept.
On another forum I look at, on one thread, there are about 30 people lined up for various jobs, waiting for LMIA's, not only drivers and since Sept, 2 people have managed to get them and 12 have been refused, the rest are still waiting to hear.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

yup if you happen to get on wae a company I would advise having everything at hand for PNP (that's if you don't have PR that is)6 months after starting work get your police checks ready ,IELTS done before arriving in Canada, ,,and hope your new employer will give you a letter offering a permanent job (speaking now for MB) if you are nominated by the province.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

Smudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really niceSmudger75 is just really nice

If we can get work
I went to Nova Scotia in 2009 and did the same, their was a lot of jobs there but they didn't want all the hassle of the paper work! I did get a job offer in 2011 from Clarke transport out of Dartmouth but I chose Westcan out of calgary!
Old Dec 6th 2014, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

meritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nicemeritor is just really nice

If we can get work
All companies will take on anybody if they can drive a truck.
They will take on oversea's worker's but!!,now there is this new LMO/LMIA thing it's nothing to do with the transport industry,It's a national immigration thing and the transport has come into it on a whole.

Save your money stay at home,There is nothing but grief and hard work in transport in Canada,This industry is a load of crap in north America.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire but that's what it is.
Old Dec 6th 2014, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

Save your money stay at home,There is nothing but grief and hard work in transport in Canada,This industry is a load of crap in north America.
There is a lot of truth in that statement; but I don't think there is a transport industry any where in the World that is not grief and hard work.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

All companies will take on anybody if they can drive a truck.
They will take on oversea's worker's but!!,now there is this new LMO/LMIA thing it's nothing to do with the transport industry,It's a national immigration thing and the transport has come into it on a whole.

Sorry to pee on your bonfire but that's what it is.
Strongly disagree with this statement , once you've done your time getting residency and are free to choose any employer there are some cracking jobs out here . If getting to this stage was easy we'd have every sort of muppet coming over here and imagine the state of the industry then ?
Old Dec 7th 2014, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Flat to the matt is dead right. Look what happened in Europe when the borders & paperwork went. Anyone remember the price of an ECMT book? Make it easy & look what arrived.

These new regs could well be a good thing. It will get the companies away from just hiring someone with a pulse & a licence.

BTW I like my job & I haven't got PR yet. At the Federal stage now.