First payday

Old Apr 7th 2015, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First payday

How long does it take from landing in Canada to getting your first pay?

Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2015, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First payday

That depends on what your agreement is with the trucking outfit that brought you over, most pay bi weekly, are you being paid for orientation ? Best thing is to ask when their pay day is and they'll let you know if you have anything coming.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy1807

Thanks
My first pay was just over 4 weeks after landing.
If everything's planned well and medical, piss & drug test appointments pre-booked, SIN#, bank account, and driving licence can all be done in a day.
Use your company for home address if you don't have one.
You can get the training and tests done in just over a week.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

It looks like its a bit different in every trucking company but they usually pay bi-weekly the 15th and the 31st of each month.
But they pay backdated of course.

You will be probably waiting for first paycheck 4 to 5 weeks if everything goes ok.
I mean once you are here you will have to do your class 1 licence again and even everyone who came over from UK is experienced I know quite a few guys who had a trouble with it and sometimes it took them longer than they were expecting to get the licence. The worst part for experienced drivers in the driving school is to learn to drive like absolutely beginner :-)

I arrived the 22nd of October 2012, got my licence the 7th of November and my first paycheck was the 30th of November but it was very small one because I was paid only for what I made between the 7th and 15th of November.
The most companies pay like that. Ask your company how much money you will need to survive until the first paycheck....they should be able to tell you...some companies will aslo help you if you dont have enough money with you.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

No idea what province your coming to but if its Manitoba don't surrender your UK license until you have your air brake AND you have passed your class 1, If they ask you to just be firm and tell them you want to keep it until you have fully passed your Canadian CDL, This way if you fail your actual driving test you don't have to wait 14 days to retake it, you can take it again the next day if you wish as your not a canadian driver the rules don't apply to you the same, god forbid you fail twice if you have surrendered your license as thats as good as a month with no income.
If it's not Manitoba get advice on this point from the driving school or expat drivers in your chosen province.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: First payday

Fantastic info all, thanks!
No doubt will be back with more questions as things progress.

Oh and yes if everything goes to plan, Manitoba is where we'd be heading, so thanks for the tip
Old Apr 7th 2015, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy1807

Thanks
Depends entirely on where you work, what their pay system is, and when you started.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

In Manitoba there is a two week wait after passing your written driving exam before you can do the road test. Add a couple of days on arrival, add a week for driver orientation at your company [hopefully paid]. Then if you are paid "Bi-weekly"; it takes four weeks of work before the first pay cheque goes into your bank account.

I would say that you need 7 weeks worth of money when you arrive to see you through.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon
In Manitoba there is a two week wait after passing your written driving exam before you can do the road test. Add a couple of days on arrival, add a week for driver orientation at your company [hopefully paid]. Then if you are paid "Bi-weekly"; it takes four weeks of work before the first pay cheque goes into your bank account.

I would say that you need 7 weeks worth of money when you arrive to see you through.
Then its changed as i got my CDL in 10 days including driving lessons but i didn't surrender my license until i passed my CDL.
On the 12th day i started orientation.
Did you surrender yours on arrival in Steinbach ? or when you started the licensing process ?
Once you do that your subject to the rules for Canadians, an english license is good for 90 days therefore i didnt surrender mine and a lot of other brits in the steinbach area held onto theirs too in 2005 when we all arrived which meant we could take our driving test as soon as we had our written, not a myth either ask any of the brits who have been there ten years like myself, chances are i'll know them anyway

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Apr 7th 2015 at 8:28 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

The two week wait between written and practical tests first came to my notice in May last year when a fellow Brit got caught out by the new rule. It has nothing to do with surrendering your British licence; it is the same for everyone wanting a truck-driving licence, even Canadians.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just got off the phone with MPI and UK license is good for 90 days, you DO NOT have to surrender and in those circumstances you can book a test immediately after passing your written/air tests and there is NO WAIT if you don't surrender your license.
You have 90 days and if you havent got your CDL which includes a class 5 then you MUST surrender your UK license for Canadian/MB class 5
Old Apr 8th 2015, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

If you keep your UK licence do they accept that as proof of class 5 in order to even take a CDL then? I just assumed it was like in the UK where you can't sit any additional category tests without exchanging your licence to a UK one first. Also if you keep hold of your licence and pass your CDL do you then exchange it or do you just get a totally new and seperate Canadian licence? Reason being I have motorcycle entitlement so would rather exchange that too than have to re-do it. This is also for Manitoba (they recognise UK motorcycle category).
Old Apr 8th 2015, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kiowan
If you keep your UK licence do they accept that as proof of class 5 in order to even take a CDL then? I just assumed it was like in the UK where you can't sit any additional category tests without exchanging your licence to a UK one first. Also if you keep hold of your licence and pass your CDL do you then exchange it or do you just get a totally new and seperate Canadian licence? Reason being I have motorcycle entitlement so would rather exchange that too than have to re-do it. This is also for Manitoba (they recognise UK motorcycle category).
When i did it and i checked yesterday, you keep your UK license until you pass your class 1 CDL then you surrender your UK license for a Canadian one. Any points etc do not carry over so you get a clean start in Canada.
The reason being if you don't hold a canadian class 5 (car) your not subject to the 14 day wait and can take your driving test immediately after your written and also if you fail your driving test again your not subject to the 14 day wait.
Some i know surrendered their licenses in Winnipeg at large MPI centres and lost their class 6 (motorbike) By chance i surrendered mine at a small MPI in a mall in Steinbach and they transferred my full bike license over too, once you have it on your canadian licenses they cant take it back, or thats what i was told.
Take colour copies of both parts of your UK licenses for your records before you surrender it.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

I saw somewhere on a forum that someone emailed MPI asking about motorcycle exchange and received a response confirming they are entitled to it so I may do the same and take a copy of the email with me when I go in case the staff question it and maybe it's better to go to a smaller office. I think whether I have to exchange my licence before sitting the tests will be down to the companies policy, they have done this a lot so suspect they will want you to do things their way which no doubt includes swapping your licence on day one regardless of whether it's the most efficient way to do it but i'll bring it up as a suggestion and see what they say.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

its not a prob tae have your motorbike licence exchanged in MB ...just mind them before they take your uk licence and as said if they say no go to another office ..did this wae 2 folk when babysitting them mind you will need bank account(letter from bank as proof),sin # health card and take you work permit etc as MPI can be ******. hope MPI realise paper counterpart not needed in uk now..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.