Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Fire trucks to Big rigs in NS ?

Fire trucks to Big rigs in NS ?

Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

kduk2191 will become famous soon enough
Default Fire trucks to Big rigs in NS ?

Hi,
Thinking of taking my class 1 licence for NS. I've been driving fire trucks for over 10 years now, I wondered if anyone would like to venture an opinon on if this experience would give me a head start on driving class 1.

I don't really want to sign up for $8000 worth of 3 month training course only to find a bit of practice would do it, or a months custom course ?

Hope to be in valley sometime next year were feb 06 aor, and it's crossing my mind whether to travel over ahead of time and give it a go.

Cheers

Karl
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fire trucks to Big rigs in NS ?

Hi and welcome to the mad house.
To be honest i would get your licence in the UK if you can just take your class 1 then do the tests over here (air brake & road test ) who ever you are coming out for should pay for these. As for actually driving them, well they are a bit like a jumbo jet trying to get round your town very loud and very cumbersome, good fun all the same. As for your experience of driving in the domestic quarter you should be ok as i guess you would have quite a bit of common sense being a fire fighter so should find the work ok over here. I am only guessing but would say you were home most nights and you might find this a bit of a pain if you are on long haul as you could be away from home from anything up to a week or more, other than that it's pretty easy going.

LOAFY...
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

jasper62 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi can i ask why you say to the other person to take class one in the uk and then come over to ns and just do airbrakes and road test ,, well isnt the road test the same as taking your test in the uk ?? and does the uk licence cover you to drive over there or when you have re done your test do they take the uk licence of you. i am confused help as i am thinking of coming to ns my self as i have a job offer i have 24yrs up the road ex
Old Jun 19th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jasper62
hi can i ask why you say to the other person to take class one in the uk and then come over to ns and just do airbrakes and road test ,, well isnt the road test the same as taking your test in the uk ?? and does the uk licence cover you to drive over there or when you have re done your test do they take the uk licence of you. i am confused help as i am thinking of coming to ns my self as i have a job offer i have 24yrs up the road ex
Hi Jasper,
He / you will have to do the air brake regardless and will have to do a road test but not the training by this i mean a full course as the company who you drive for should give you time to get used to the trucks they have or will put you with a driving school for a week or two for this at there expense not yours. Some companies do pay you while you are training but not all and it is a small amount.
I think as KDUK is a fire truck driver he does not have a full class1 but as he can drive one of those he more than likely could drive a tractor trailer with no problem. I myself would find a good training company in the UK and explain to them what it is he was going to do and see if you could do a crash course and the test their as it would take less time and probably cost less than the $8000 he has said it would cost. The reason for me saying this is mainly the time factor that you would be out here doing training when you can already drive but still have to jump thru the hoops for the system.
You do lose your UK driving licence but most provinces just flip your car or motorbike one over but for a class1 you have to retake your test plus air brake, most of the fellas at the DMV will know you can drive so just need to see that you can keep it under control and are not a hazard to anyone else so it's more like doing an assessment test than the real thing.
If you need to know more try asking Andy_sheila as he lives in Kentville NS and could prob tell you more than me as i am in Prince Edward Island but i think it's not that different from here.
Just to make things clear Jasper as you have a class1 you would just have to do some driving around to get used to them and do the two test and then off you go.
All the best,
LOAFY...
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

hi loafy all i can say is merci beaucoup!!!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by loafy
Hi Jasper,
He / you will have to do the air brake regardless and will have to do a road test but not the training by this i mean a full course as the company who you drive for should give you time to get used to the trucks they have or will put you with a driving school for a week or two for this at there expense not yours. Some companies do pay you while you are training but not all and it is a small amount.
I think as KDUK is a fire truck driver he does not have a full class1 but as he can drive one of those he more than likely could drive a tractor trailer with no problem. I myself would find a good training company in the UK and explain to them what it is he was going to do and see if you could do a crash course and the test their as it would take less time and probably cost less than the $8000 he has said it would cost. The reason for me saying this is mainly the time factor that you would be out here doing training when you can already drive but still have to jump thru the hoops for the system.
You do lose your UK driving licence but most provinces just flip your car or motorbike one over but for a class1 you have to retake your test plus air brake, most of the fellas at the DMV will know you can drive so just need to see that you can keep it under control and are not a hazard to anyone else so it's more like doing an assessment test than the real thing.
If you need to know more try asking Andy_sheila as he lives in Kentville NS and could prob tell you more than me as i am in Prince Edward Island but i think it's not that different from here.
Just to make things clear Jasper as you have a class1 you would just have to do some driving around to get used to them and do the two test and then off you go.
All the best,
LOAFY...
LOAFY...Get a job.....

You shouldn't have the time to log on here and mess about...
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

yo ive done my 740km today whats your excuse and dont get all beaten up just because you cant speak french avoir
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

sorry davie mac ithought it was loafy
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
LOAFY...Get a job.....

You shouldn't have the time to log on here and mess about...
I've done my 7 days away in the beautiful hot south now on my days off and the weather here on PEI has just turned out nice. Time for a BBQ me thinks.

LOAFY...
Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

[/I][/B]
hi loafy all i can say is merci beaucoup!!!!!!
Your welcome,

LOAFY...
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by loafy
I've done my 7 days away in the beautiful hot south now on my days off and the weather here on PEI has just turned out nice. Time for a BBQ me thinks.

LOAFY...
You sound a lot happier dude so I hope the move was for the better and is giving you what you want out of the job.

Cheers Dave
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

davie mac can i borrow your profile pic to stick on the back of all the uk tankers on strike as it reminds me of the saying ( dont panic captain mannering) ha ha ha
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

kduk2191 will become famous soon enough

nice one loafy, thanks for the info. I rekon a bit more research is required. Your right about being home every night. I would be looking for short haul work only. I know the pay isn't as good, but I guess that would be the pay off for home life etc...
Old Jun 20th 2008, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

davie mac can i borrow your profile pic to stick on the back of all the uk tankers on strike as it reminds me of the saying ( dont panic captain mannering) ha ha ha
Yep No prob's Here is the bigger version...class aint it:

It's It's a ikkle baby
Attached Thumbnails Fire trucks to Big rigs in NS ?-incoming.jpg  
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

yo ive done my 740km today whats your excuse and dont get all beaten up just because you cant speak french avoir
No he dont speak french,,but he.s fluent in giberish with a fake welsh accent with a lolly pop in his mouth

Oh by the way 740 km is only half a days work here

Last edited by Gremmie; Jun 20th 2008 at 3:13 pm. Reason: forgot the sarcastic ending......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.