Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

F*** Me an sensible thread - Digi Logbooks

F*** Me an sensible thread - Digi Logbooks

Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: F*** Me an sensible thread - Digi Logbooks

29 years ago when Tacho first hit the UK we all moaned and groaned, we all tried to cheat them with rubber bands, cigaret butts bending the needles and god only knows what else. We all said it wont last , that its like having the 'cops" in the cab etc. but we survived he freight got delivered and we earnt our daily bread. It wont be any different here either, adjustments will have to be made, but we will all survive and eat our daily bread
Old Nov 24th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

But i prefer cake. Both having it and eating it.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point

So what, just because we can adjust, it doesn't mean its a good thing. Tachos in Europe make you a prisoner in the cab and digital tachos are worse again. The stresses of the job back home are a major reason why driving over here is so desirable to most and now they want to make it even worse here. I say worse because the whole system here is and always has been set up in such a way that it can only work with very flexible enterpriations of log book rules and it allows drivers move themselves to safe parking (which is very important in many parts of the US) and somewhere with facilties. At current I work up and down the eastern seaboard in the US and unless the whole industry is revolutionised, which it wont be, I will never be able to comply with an electronic log book because there just isn't the parking available in the area and you get held hostage at the majority of places, only to be deposited on to the street after your 14 hours are up or with very little time left. In England you can just park on the side of the road in an industrial estate in most places, here you'll either be robbed or ticketed/impounded. I was threatened with having my truck impounded just last week in Woodbridge, NJ because I wasn't allowed into the gate of a warehouse until half an hour before my booking time, I was told to be there at 4:30am which I was, my booking time then turned out to be 8am and they actually called me in at 11am. All well and good with a paper log book but I'll be a criminal in a few years time if I did the same, and earning $400 a week. No thanks! EOBR's are just more sh*t dropping from the cuckoo in the clouds.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coritani
So what, just because we can adjust, it doesn't mean its a good thing. Tachos in Europe make you a prisoner in the cab and digital tachos are worse again. The stresses of the job back home are a major reason why driving over here is so desirable to most and now they want to make it even worse here. I say worse because the whole system here is and always has been set up in such a way that it can only work with very flexible enterpriations of log book rules and it allows drivers move themselves to safe parking (which is very important in many parts of the US) and somewhere with facilties. At current I work up and down the eastern seaboard in the US and unless the whole industry is revolutionised, which it wont be, I will never be able to comply with an electronic log book because there just isn't the parking available in the area and you get held hostage at the majority of places, only to be deposited on to the street after your 14 hours are up or with very little time left. In England you can just park on the side of the road in an industrial estate in most places, here you'll either be robbed or ticketed/impounded. I was threatened with having my truck impounded just last week in Woodbridge, NJ because I wasn't allowed into the gate of a warehouse until half an hour before my booking time, I was told to be there at 4:30am which I was, my booking time then turned out to be 8am and they actually called me in at 11am. All well and good with a paper log book but I'll be a criminal in a few years time if I did the same, and earning $400 a week. No thanks! EOBR's are just more sh*t dropping from the cuckoo in the clouds.
I did say adjustments would be needed I would for see a pay system of miles & hours for example. Shippers would have to be more efficiant with loading and appointments. But at the end of the day i see it being a good thing.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

well it would not be a bad idea if the whole industry did it shippers and recievers were to have things organised and dispatch had things planned out down to the last second then it may work. but in my experience it would take alot of work and effort and $$$$$$$$$
Old Nov 25th 2010, 9:18 am
Account Closed

ukkie is an unknown quantity at this point

tachos were tamperproof for about a week and the digi tachos were tamperproof for about a week and a half so these electronic logbooks won't last much longer.

If its electronic and someone can switch it on then it won't be long before somebody finds out how to switch them of.

The system would only stand a chance if the trucking companies played hardball with shippers and receivers and if the DOT would start putting some responsibility with shippers and receivers which will never happen as there is always some weasel that gives in thinking he can make a fast buck and ruin any progress made.

wages won't change instead they will just put 2 chinese / indian drivers on for less cost than 1 north american (european) driver.

Over in europe you'll have difficulties to find any non eastern european long haul drivers nowadays. Even the polish are to expensive for this and bulgarians, rumanians or russians are now coming in.

The idea is good and it would be good if you were able to run completely legal only it's a shame it doesn't work like that in the real world.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

As far as I'm concerned it will be a total disaster. The big companies will be ok with their hundreds of drop trailers and no waiting time but for everyone else it will be a nightmare. I dont like running bent but I do like being able to pull off a loading dock and driving 3 miles down the road to a truckstop to have facilities such as toilets, showers and proper food and not have to stay stationary on a dock for 8 or 10 hours just because an electronic tracker says so. The whole transport industry here is not geared up to work to a draconian set of rigid rules like the ones they are proposing. I'll be happy if I never run bent again but what I object to is being made a prisoner in my cab when this thing beeps and says I'm out of hours. If I'm just coming off a meat inspection in Detroit, I'm not parking there for my daily rest, EOBR or not, it can go to hell and I'm not staying put on a loading dock for 10 hours when there is a truckstop down the road that I can park in for those same 10 hours with proper facilities so that I dont have to live like a tramp sh*tting in a bush at 4am because the warehouse I'm stuck at is closed for the night.
Before anyone says that it wont be that bad, the industry will have to change and run things better, it wont happen, not for a long while, we get paid by the mile and no one gives a damn if we sit or get stuck anywhere, it costs them nothing and until we're on hourly pay and we stop getting held hostage in shippers/receivers for 6/8/10/12 hours these EOBR will not work. They make the job in Europe a nightmare, how anyone thinks they'll work here across the board is beyond me. Werner, Day & Ross and the like are not typical of the entire north American trucking industry. The only losers here will yet again be the driver when we get pulled up for a DOT check and get criminalised for making a 3 mile movement to a truckstop or such like. The days of being able to stop for a 2 or 3 hour sleep will be over, we'll have to keep going and ultilise our time to the maximum, its not safer, we'll just be stressed out and clock watching the whole time and have to make every minute count before the clock ticks off.

No thanks, not in my name!!! The UK would almost be appealing again!
On our system it stays on 'on duty time' till you go over 15 mph so maybe you could creep down to that truck stop very very slowly

My problem was getting used to pushing the buttons as i'm doing it, you can't wait and catch it up later like a paper log. A couple of times i've stopped for the night, had supper then flopped in the sleeper and woke up in the morning to find i'd been on duty the whole time. Then i have to call the office and they will edit the log to what it should be but then i have sign a form saying i was a bad boy, and they call this paperless
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rivit
On our system it stays on 'on duty time' till you go over 15 mph so maybe you could creep down to that truck stop very very slowly

My problem was getting used to pushing the buttons as i'm doing it, you can't wait and catch it up later like a paper log. A couple of times i've stopped for the night, had supper then flopped in the sleeper and woke up in the morning to find i'd been on duty the whole time. Then i have to call the office and they will edit the log to what it should be but then i have sign a form saying i was a bad boy, and they call this paperless
This is just it though, its all totally pointless and does nothing but restricts our freedom and treats us like machines. If they would build in some safe guards against stranding drivers in unsafe and totally unsuitable locations such as the ferry movement allowance in the EU where by you can interpupt your daily rest period by up to a certain time period then fine, I havent got a problem with it but the idea of being stuck, totally stationary without exception is just an unbearable thought, the freedom to move and park my truck when and where I want is something I have come to really appreciate after driving back home and not being able to do a thing. At the end of the day this is just using drivers as scapegoats and will only punish the symptoms of the problem and not the causes. Bad management/dispatching is one major cause but beyond all else is the way we get detained at shippers and receivers for several hours or more. All I want is the freedom to be able to then park somewhere proper and not have to stay in an unsafe industrial area in Linden, NJ for example while all the shippers, dispatchers, DOT officers and politicians who think of these things have gone home to their homes with showers, food and the security of not having their diesel stolen, prostitutes knocking on the door, their load getting stolen or even getting held up at gun point for the $60 in your wallet. Even getting paid by the hour wouldn't prevent drivers being made criminals for tiny log book violations that will flag up on an EOBR but arent recorded on paper. It would seem that the north American trucker will soon have two choices, carry on as now and drive to a proper parking area when you've been detained beyond your HOS totally against your will and risk running up a massive list of offences on your record or embrace the European way of living like a tramp, a third class citizen parked on the hard shoulder, wasteground or loading dock and having to go to the toilet in the bushes like an animal....what next, all wear tracksuits and sandals, speak Bulgarian hope Willi Betz expands over here?
EOBR's without safeguards built in to protect us all from the scenarios I've mentioned are a very dubious and unwelcome addition to our industry and more importantly our whole way of life.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

This is just it though, its all totally pointless and does nothing but restricts our freedom and treats us like machines. If they would build in some safe guards against stranding drivers in unsafe and totally unsuitable locations such as the ferry movement allowance in the EU where by you can interpupt your daily rest period by up to a certain time period then fine, I havent got a problem with it but the idea of being stuck, totally stationary without exception is just an unbearable thought, the freedom to move and park my truck when and where I want is something I have come to really appreciate after driving back home and not being able to do a thing. At the end of the day this is just using drivers as scapegoats and will only punish the symptoms of the problem and not the causes. Bad management/dispatching is one major cause but beyond all else is the way we get detained at shippers and receivers for several hours or more. All I want is the freedom to be able to then park somewhere proper and not have to stay in an unsafe industrial area in Linden, NJ for example while all the shippers, dispatchers, DOT officers and politicians who think of these things have gone home to their homes with showers, food and the security of not having their diesel stolen, prostitutes knocking on the door, their load getting stolen or even getting held up at gun point for the $60 in your wallet. Even getting paid by the hour wouldn't prevent drivers being made criminals for tiny log book violations that will flag up on an EOBR but arent recorded on paper. It would seem that the north American trucker will soon have two choices, carry on as now and drive to a proper parking area when you've been detained beyond your HOS totally against your will and risk running up a massive list of offences on your record or embrace the European way of living like a tramp, a third class citizen parked on the hard shoulder, wasteground or loading dock and having to go to the toilet in the bushes like an animal....what next, all wear tracksuits and sandals, speak Bulgarian hope Willi Betz expands over here?
EOBR's without safeguards built in to protect us all from the scenarios I've mentioned are a very dubious and unwelcome addition to our industry and more importantly our whole way of life.
+1
Old Nov 26th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

+2

If it happens then I will find a new type of job. Gremmie, your point of view is office bound now. You don't like having to try to decipher them so you would prefer it was on a computer..

remember your roots, man!!!
Old Nov 26th 2010, 12:05 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I've worked for Werner.

didn't like the company or the electric logbooks.

you can cheat them a twee, but can't obviously take the piss.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bobthedog
+2

If it happens then I will find a new type of job. Gremmie, your point of view is office bound now. You don't like having to try to decipher them so you would prefer it was on a computer..

remember your roots, man!!!
Not true Bob, and I resent the implication. Electronic Logs for all would make this whole industry far more efficient, the 2-3-4 hour waits would drop down to 1 hour loading times, simply because the whole trip would have to be calculated better. If a customer wants his freight to move from A to B in X hours, then both dispatch & the shipper are going to have to work closer together to solve the problem, not like now where the transit time can be fudged by all concerned.
If your dispatcher even with todays system gives you loads that only are do able by cheeting then more fool you both.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Not true Bob, and I resent the implication. Electronic Logs for all would make this whole industry far more efficient, the 2-3-4 hour waits would drop down to 1 hour loading times, simply because the whole trip would have to be calculated better. If a customer wants his freight to move from A to B in X hours, then both dispatch & the shipper are going to have to work closer together to solve the problem, not like now where the transit time can be fudged by all concerned.
If your dispatcher even with todays system gives you loads that only are do able by cheeting then more fool you both.
you mean turn 8-10-12 hours waityou Clown
You must have despatched your Loyalty some where as well
Old Nov 26th 2010, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hughes3005
you mean turn 8-10-12 hours waityou Clown
You must have despatched your Loyalty some where as well
Dont judge every one else by your own pathetic and miss guided views and experiences. Your knowledge of the North American trucking industry could be writen on the back of a postage stamp.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

hughes3005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Dont judge every one else by your own pathetic and miss guided views and experiences. Your knowledge of the North American trucking industry could be writen on the back of a postage stamp.
Well gremmie. i do have a large stamp collection

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.