British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   F*** Me an sensible thread - Digi Logbooks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/f%2A%2A%2A-me-sensible-thread-digi-logbooks-694432/)

DAVIE_MAC Nov 22nd 2010 4:34 pm

F*** Me an sensible thread - Digi Logbooks

As we have had such utter drivel on here recently thought we might discuss something sort of to do with trucking...:ohmy:

Electronic Logbooks - Yukk or no Yukk

I believe the US have passed legislation in regards to implementing these but can see sometime before it meets total approval of various organisations therefore has anyone got points of view on them, companies using them, what you think, software to aid the use of them, costs of implementation.... ????

Just general chit chat or info.....

neilg14 Nov 22nd 2010 5:43 pm

Re: F*** Me an sensible thread - Digi Logbooks

I was talking to a Werner driver who was runnig on electronic logs, in Laredo a few months ago about this and he was saying he sticks to the speed limit everywhere but has no speed limiter fitted so he can do 75mph in Texas etc.
I explained we were limited to 100 kph and he reckoned you will lose money if the rate isn't put up or the limiters removed.

Gremmie Nov 22nd 2010 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by neilg14 (Post 8997336)
I was talking to a Werner driver who was runnig on electronic logs, in Laredo a few months ago about this and he was saying he sticks to the speed limit everywhere but has no speed limiter fitted so he can do 75mph in Texas etc.
I explained we were limited to 100 kph and he reckoned you will lose money if the rate isn't put up or the limiters removed.

Our guys are limited to max 65mph, and they dont lose money. We would welcome ele logs:thumbup:

flat to the mat Nov 23rd 2010 3:28 am

while I was hauling cryogenics the company wanted everything done 100% legally and paid drivers accordingly,our guys in B.C. were using electronic logs and loved them.Read into that what you want,but they are definately coming.
As I don't travel very far nowadays log books aren't an issue and I threw away my "magic pencil" a long time ago.;)

DAVIE_MAC Nov 23rd 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for the input..

Think it may be a wee while off yet until the industry irons out all the issues regarding the implementation and assuring drivers and hauliers it's the way to go.. but it can only be a good thing in my view.

:)

Gremmie Nov 23rd 2010 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC (Post 8999185)
Thanks for the input..

Think it may be a wee while off yet until the industry irons out all the issues regarding the implementation and assuring drivers and hauliers it's the way to go.. but it can only be a good thing in my view.

:)

" The Great American Trucker " is slowly dying out, thankfully, hopefully the younger generation will embrace the "Newer" technoligies and work ethic that we Europeans have known for decades. I cant see Electronic logs being made mandatory in the next 5 years or so. Just as important to the logs would be uniformity in the the gross weights, axel spreads etc from state to state and cross border.

jamesmc Nov 23rd 2010 2:15 pm

as someone that has never used a e log can anyone explain it?
do you use your laptop, have to carry a printer in your cab and if you do what happens at scales etc,not being a troll just interested..
james..;)

Gremmie Nov 23rd 2010 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 8999348)
do you use your laptop, have to carry a printer in your cab and if you do what happens at scales etc,not being a troll just interested..
james..;)

I guess James it would be an Electronic Tacho

DAVIE_MAC Nov 23rd 2010 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by jamesmc (Post 8999348)
james..;)

This is a good vid / explaination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EyRWmLd-es

jamesmc Nov 23rd 2010 8:40 pm

that looks worse than log books to me..:ohmy:looks like a lot of probs with your dispatcher for some companys i know..

Chicken lights and chrome Nov 24th 2010 12:04 am

As I understand it, at present the only people using EOBRs are either doing it through choice or at the instruction of the DOT for excessive log violations, one such company that has been forced by the DOT is JBS Carriers of Greely CO, they've had to fit EOBRs to all 650 trucks in their fleet because they're naughty boys!

As far as I know the EOBR uses a form of satellite, like a Qualcomm system, it's linked to the ECM of the truck, so it knows every move you make in much the same way as a traditional tachograph does.

I can't say I welcome their introduction, not because I run outlaw, but the paper log does have some inherent flexibility in it, at times I do use that flexibility to suit my own interests, the loss of that will make things a little awkward at times, it may mean that instead of maxxing my log out every day I have to stop a little earlier sometimes, this could, over the course of a month, have an impact on my pay packet.

The way things are structured now the mileage pay works, as you can, in theory, do the maximum allowed miles each day within your daily duty time, if EOBRs are introduced then hourly pay is going to be the only way to earn a decent living.

I also think that far from making the roads safer, they will make people run at the posted limits so that they make the most of their 11/13hrs behind the wheel, as long as mileage pay is still being used.

coritani Nov 24th 2010 3:28 am

As far as I'm concerned it will be a total disaster. The big companies will be ok with their hundreds of drop trailers and no waiting time but for everyone else it will be a nightmare. I dont like running bent but I do like being able to pull off a loading dock and driving 3 miles down the road to a truckstop to have facilities such as toilets, showers and proper food and not have to stay stationary on a dock for 8 or 10 hours just because an electronic tracker says so. The whole transport industry here is not geared up to work to a draconian set of rigid rules like the ones they are proposing. I'll be happy if I never run bent again but what I object to is being made a prisoner in my cab when this thing beeps and says I'm out of hours. If I'm just coming off a meat inspection in Detroit, I'm not parking there for my daily rest, EOBR or not, it can go to hell and I'm not staying put on a loading dock for 10 hours when there is a truckstop down the road that I can park in for those same 10 hours with proper facilities so that I dont have to live like a tramp sh*tting in a bush at 4am because the warehouse I'm stuck at is closed for the night.
Before anyone says that it wont be that bad, the industry will have to change and run things better, it wont happen, not for a long while, we get paid by the mile and no one gives a damn if we sit or get stuck anywhere, it costs them nothing and until we're on hourly pay and we stop getting held hostage in shippers/receivers for 6/8/10/12 hours these EOBR will not work. They make the job in Europe a nightmare, how anyone thinks they'll work here across the board is beyond me. Werner, Day & Ross and the like are not typical of the entire north American trucking industry. The only losers here will yet again be the driver when we get pulled up for a DOT check and get criminalised for making a 3 mile movement to a truckstop or such like. The days of being able to stop for a 2 or 3 hour sleep will be over, we'll have to keep going and ultilise our time to the maximum, its not safer, we'll just be stressed out and clock watching the whole time and have to make every minute count before the clock ticks off.

No thanks, not in my name!!! The UK would almost be appealing again!

hughes3005 Nov 24th 2010 5:19 am

Try Doing 1100 kilometres a day when Big brother is watching every move.
you have 11 hours drive time in the US can you earn enough$$$ :thumbdown:
Will company's pay by the hour:thumbsup:I dont think so:blink:

spockil Nov 24th 2010 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by coritani (Post 9000563)
As far as I'm concerned it will be a total disaster. The big companies will be ok with their hundreds of drop trailers and no waiting time but for everyone else it will be a nightmare. I dont like running bent but I do like being able to pull off a loading dock and driving 3 miles down the road to a truckstop to have facilities such as toilets, showers and proper food and not have to stay stationary on a dock for 8 or 10 hours just because an electronic tracker says so. The whole transport industry here is not geared up to work to a draconian set of rigid rules like the ones they are proposing. I'll be happy if I never run bent again but what I object to is being made a prisoner in my cab when this thing beeps and says I'm out of hours. If I'm just coming off a meat inspection in Detroit, I'm not parking there for my daily rest, EOBR or not, it can go to hell and I'm not staying put on a loading dock for 10 hours when there is a truckstop down the road that I can park in for those same 10 hours with proper facilities so that I dont have to live like a tramp sh*tting in a bush at 4am because the warehouse I'm stuck at is closed for the night.
Before anyone says that it wont be that bad, the industry will have to change and run things better, it wont happen, not for a long while, we get paid by the mile and no one gives a damn if we sit or get stuck anywhere, it costs them nothing and until we're on hourly pay and we stop getting held hostage in shippers/receivers for 6/8/10/12 hours these EOBR will not work. They make the job in Europe a nightmare, how anyone thinks they'll work here across the board is beyond me. Werner, Day & Ross and the like are not typical of the entire north American trucking industry. The only losers here will yet again be the driver when we get pulled up for a DOT check and get criminalised for making a 3 mile movement to a truckstop or such like. The days of being able to stop for a 2 or 3 hour sleep will be over, we'll have to keep going and ultilise our time to the maximum, its not safer, we'll just be stressed out and clock watching the whole time and have to make every minute count before the clock ticks off.

No thanks, not in my name!!! The UK would almost be appealing again!

this man has a point thats one of the reasons i came over here is to get away from the bs of big brother watching the digi tacho back home was just a nightmare as u move a foot and stop it will round up the minutes i had friend who left yard at 8 am got stopped an hour and half down road and tacho said 1 hour and 45min all because he got caught in traffic now if that comes here it will be bad.....industry here could not handle it will take years to get there

wire Nov 24th 2010 4:40 pm

EOBR'S simply mean more power to the DOT and bosses and less ability for drivers to use their own discretion. What is good about that?...Unless your a boss or the DOT of course.