Exchanging licences

Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:20 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all
Default Re: Exchanging licences

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Well thats simple enough,,, 1. dont go back or 2 take a foto copy of your licence at your local lawyer or notary,,get the thing notorised

See job done, problem solved, Gremmie saves the day again
I was thinking could you not just say youve lost it and get a replacement before you leave the UK and that way you have 2 copies
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordielass
I was thinking could you not just say youve lost it and get a replacement before you leave the UK and that way you have 2 copies
Readc what Davie posted regarding two copies
Old Apr 1st 2009, 4:36 pm
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

Readc what Davie posted regarding two copies
ahh!!! I get it I must admit I hadnt read it.....dont worry I will slap my own wrist and consider myself told off!
Old Apr 1st 2009, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

coritani is an unknown quantity at this point

Well thats simple enough,,, 1. dont go back or 2 take a foto copy of your licence at your local lawyer or notary,,get the thing notorised

See job done, problem solved, Gremmie saves the day again
Except that I'm sure I've read somewhere that the DVLA does not accept notorised copies as proof. The only proof is your original licence, and indeed what their database says. Whilst it shouldn't ever be a problem, we know that government agencies are well known for their database cockups. I have a photocopy of my class 2 pass cert and my original class 1 cert but I think I read that they are only valid for 3 years or something along those lines, so it would remain to be seen whether they'd accept those after that time, which both of them are by now.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 9:37 pm
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by coritani
Except that I'm sure I've read somewhere that the DVLA does not accept notorised copies as proof.
Correct.

The only proof is your original licence, and indeed what their database says.
Correct again.

The DVLA argument is that the photocopies are susceptible to forgery, irrespective of being notorised or not.
Old Apr 1st 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

the oh and myself lost/ misplaced our licences a month before we left uk ,applied for replacments that arrived just before we flew out ,handed in found licences no probs .
i asked at dvlc office at carlisle and was told as long as we had pass dates /copy there would be no prob if we had to return back to uk.

Last edited by jamesmc; Apr 1st 2009 at 11:17 pm. Reason: dvlc
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jamesmc
the oh and myself lost/ misplaced our licences a month before we left uk ,applied for replacments that arrived just before we flew out ,handed in found licences no probs .
i asked at dvlc office at carlisle and was told as long as we had pass dates /copy there would be no prob if we had to return back to uk.
That is what I had originally planned on doing. Exchanging my old one for a New Brunswick driving licence and keeping my new British one for when I visit home or if I come back for good. I just dont want the DVLA to then get back in touch with the New Brunswick licencing authority to say that someone has potentially commited fraud with a lost / invalid driving licence etc and then have all sorts of subsequent problems such as being accused of obtaining a licence with false paperwork or something to that effect.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Only thing I could think of is hand in the new valid one and keep the old one as a record to prove what classes you had prior to leaving the UK as I think this proof is what most people are looking for....
I think (coz I wrote it..) the best way round it is as above.

Apply for a new one coz you have lost it... this one becomes valid then just bite the bullet and hand it in in Canada. Keep the old one as proof of classes, which got lost but you found it again...

It's an original licence it's just not valid. That way there should be no problems of handing in an expired licence if they ever check it against the new Anti Fraud Law enforcement system they now have which I previously mentioned.

The issue of visiting on holiday etc and driving on a Canadian licence should not be a problem. I never had any problem hiring a car in Canada so Canadians shouldn't here apart from the automatic issue I suppose. See as follows:

Visitors

You may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to eight passenger seats, provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of coming to GB. However, you may only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside GB and which you have driven into the country.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

I wonder what the situation would be for when I return home for a visit and driver my own car. I'm not getting rid of it until I know for certain that I'm staying in Canada and I wont know that until I have actually been granted permanent residence. I'm keeping my car taxed, insured and mot'd here so that when I come home I can just jump straight into it. But if I'm not in actual possesion of a UK driving licence, how does that effect my insurance etc?
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

I wonder what the situation would be for when I return home for a visit and driver my own car. I'm not getting rid of it until I know for certain that I'm staying in Canada and I wont know that until I have actually been granted permanent residence. I'm keeping my car taxed, insured and mot'd here so that when I come home I can just jump straight into it. But if I'm not in actual possesion of a UK driving licence, how does that effect my insurance etc?
WOW No idea on that one.

Why would you do this and spend money on this method (suppose it depends on how often your going to visit....me... NIL when I'm gone I'm gone)

You can Tax & Insure it over the phone or internet prior to leaving Canada in less than an hour???

Just get a SORN at garage it??

Old Apr 2nd 2009, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
WOW No idea on that one.

Why would you do this and spend money on this method (suppose it depends on how often your going to visit....me... NIL when I'm gone I'm gone)

You can Tax & Insure it over the phone or internet prior to leaving Canada in less than an hour???

Just get a SORN at garage it??

Well because the car is going to be used whilst I'm gone by my dad so its going to be taxed and mot'd and its insured for ages yet anyway. But even if I do re-insure it before any visit, the UK vs Canadian licence thing comes back into it.

Also, just wondering, how long do no-claims last for if I dont actually insure a vehicle for any length of time? I've got 5 years plus now and really dont want to give that up until I've been granted PR and know that I'm safe from being ejected from Canada due to losing job or being turned down for PNP/PR, especially with the current climate being all doom and gloom.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

well, was told by other expat at work use ca. licence when back to visit .his reason was no points on uk licence .
he had no prob ... borrowed famil y car ,went to insurance office told them he was resident of ca. showed them copy of uk licence he held.used ca , licence for insurance for 2wks .
can only pass on what he says.
will try it when go back to visit.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

If the vehical is insured, and you have a Can licence then you can drive,, its no differant than getting a car from Avis and driving on a Can licence
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

If the vehical is insured, and you have a Can licence then you can drive,, its no differant than getting a car from Avis and driving on a Can licence
I bet its not that simple. They do after all ask when you get a quote if you hold a full UK driving licence. I would imagine a negative answer would mean a higher quote. This is Britain after all.
Old Apr 2nd 2009, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well because the car is going to be used whilst I'm gone by my dad
OK makes sense now.

Also, just wondering, how long do no-claims last for if I dont actually insure a vehicle for any length of time? I've got 5 years plus now and really dont want to give that up until I've been granted PR and know that I'm safe from being ejected from Canada due to losing job or being turned down for PNP/PR, especially with the current climate being all doom and gloom.
Normaly your NCB certificate is valid for up to 2 years but confirm that with the insurance company as a few will only recognise 1 year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.