Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Employment with Police Caution

Employment with Police Caution

Old Aug 15th 2010, 11:36 am
Just Joined

bd85uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment with Police Caution

Hello everyone

Just introducing myself quickly, my names Ben, im 25 and I'm half owner driver and half driving for someone to Europe - which i will explain! and i've been looking at this forum and the other one for the past two years but this is my first post now because i've seen all the info on here but cant find an answer to my current problem.

Last year I had an interview for H&R but got told I didn't have enough European experience because for the last three years I've been an owner tipper driver. The thing is I've wanted to go to Canada since that time so was told in the interview to get a bit more European experiance - I had done a bit before being an owner driver but also been driving cat 2 lowloaders since i was 21. I am also keeping my tipper running at the same time with my brother driving. And if anyone cares to know I was driving a 7.5 tonne skip lorries since I was 18. So I've been doing a bit now for 8 years.

The thing is, since the interview last year I got into a drunken fight and got two cautions. one for common assault and one for assualting a constable, both which I now dispute but thought it was best at the time when I accepted them. Now I know they are spent straight away over here but I was wondering where I stand with Canadain immigration. Would it be fine to be in Canada but the problem be crossing the border into America?

I know people have their opinions of H&R but I cant see much of a problem
with them - I feel its how you make it with some things - if that makes sense!

I have searched the forum before and there seems to be a lot of conflicting information, especially recently.

I will post this on the immigration forum too but if anyone can help me with the trucking side of it then I would be grateful.

Thanks

Ben

Last edited by bd85uk; Aug 15th 2010 at 11:42 am.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Employment with Police Caution

Any chance of an answer about the driving side of things? I got some answer from the other forum but still sounds quite confusing.

Any comment will do.

Thanks
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

8 wheel tipper? or artic with a tipping trailer?

Bottom line is, H&R require 5 years experience Class 1. Im not too sure why they want european experience...what sticks out in my mind when you say that is the fact Lyndon, who may or may not have interviewed you, drove up and down England every day for Wincanton and had no problem getting a job with them....

There are many other employers in Canada who require less experience, but any driving less than Uk class 1, regardless of how long you've been doing it, wont cut it and wont matter an ounce.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

Thamks for the reply.

My driving career has gone about a strange way. I was 18 and had to go my 7.5 tonne licence and I drove a skip lorry then. When I was 21 I jumped straight up to Class 1 driving with a mixture of low loader, bulk rubbish and aggregate trailers. Then I went and bought myself an 8 wheel tipper for muck away work, none of that tarmac stuff or bulker stuff. I drove it myself for 2 years and then went back on artic running to the continent (my brother is driving my tipper for me) which i've been doing for the past year. I know thats not 5 years altogether but Im just trying to plan ahead.

Its just the caution I got in between that might have ruined it all. Not sure if its an immigration thing to Canada, or crossing the border into America.

Do you think I should stay on artics for a little while longer or could I be ready for more ionterviews in a years or so?

Thanks again
Old Aug 25th 2010, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Dunno mate,
Like I say, some companies require less experience elsewhere in Canada. It might be worth your while to get a second opinion from another employer, you never know your luck, you may already have enough as it is...

Dont know much about the cautions, sorry.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

You would need to ask CIC about the cautions. They study each individually and compare the offence codes. If you were not formally arrested or charged then they would probably have no real issue. If you were taken into custody but not charged then you should still be OK. It is something you would have to ask about.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

why dont you get a police check done and see what it comes back with. they last six months. if its clear you can try companies Like Ayr Motor in New Brunswick or Bulk in Prince Edward Island
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies again.

I have had my police check done recently and both offences were on it. I was put into a cell for the night and released the next morning. I'll try and contact cic. Do you think they would give that information over the phone or would i have to send forms in and hope for the best.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

A caution is just that a caution.
If you have not been up in front of a judge or justice of the peace or magistrate in a court of law and haven't been prosecuted for the offences mentioned you hopefully should be clear.

What are you going to do with your muckaway tipper if heading off to Canada?
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Well the tipper is paid for so I'm not too fussed. I can keep it running with my brother just taking it over or sell it - depending on the work. I'd probably keep it if the work continues the same, as it will give my brother a bit of an advantage.

I'm probably lookoing at going out to Canada in about April next year so anything could change by then. Im keeping my options open but does anyone which other companies might be suited to me. Ive mainly been in construction type companies, never doing anything "clean" so to speak. I dont mind being outside chaining up loads etc. I would like a company that going to take me to different parts of Canada and the U.S not the same runs all the time. I hope thats not asking too much.

Thanks again

Ben
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bd85uk
Thamks for the reply.

My driving career has gone about a strange way. I was 18 and had to go my 7.5 tonne licence and I drove a skip lorry then. When I was 21 I jumped straight up to Class 1 driving with a mixture of low loader, bulk rubbish and aggregate trailers. Then I went and bought myself an 8 wheel tipper for muck away work, none of that tarmac stuff or bulker stuff. I drove it myself for 2 years and then went back on artic running to the continent (my brother is driving my tipper for me) which i've been doing for the past year. I know thats not 5 years altogether but Im just trying to plan ahead.

Its just the caution I got in between that might have ruined it all. Not sure if its an immigration thing to Canada, or crossing the border into America.

Do you think I should stay on artics for a little while longer or could I be ready for more ionterviews in a years or so?

Thanks again
What so strange about you driving career,
I started at 18 on 7.5tonners, got Class 1. 4 weeks after my 21st, did a couple of years UK, flat & tautliners, then did a few years conti as a self employed driver. Then moved to Switzerland drove about 9 months as a company driver then bought my own Gobstopper and trailer, running CH-GB-CH As soon as the kids were born i sold up and worked 10 for Swiss Air, till 9-11 screwed that up. Then did about 4 years of tipper work in and arround Zuerich then came here And i did that all without getting a police caution
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

Hello again

The companies I have been looking at are all asking for a clean police record. I have emailed them to get some advice but they do not seem to respond and when I call them, they say they will look into it. But I still havent heard anything back. I dont want to keep on at them because I thought it might look bad.

I will be in America for 3 weeks over Christmas and thinking of visiting some of the companies. Are there likely to be people in the offices at that time that maybe interested in helping me. I know i could ring them but because I've got no specific dates I thought I'd ask here first.

Anymore advice on the caution would be helpful because I got some info from another part of this site but found it quite confusing.

Thanks again

Ben
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello again

The companies I have been looking at are all asking for a clean police record. I have emailed them to get some advice but they do not seem to respond and when I call them, they say they will look into it. But I still havent heard anything back. I dont want to keep on at them because I thought it might look bad.

I will be in America for 3 weeks over Christmas and thinking of visiting some of the companies. Are there likely to be people in the offices at that time that maybe interested in helping me. I know i could ring them but because I've got no specific dates I thought I'd ask here first.

Anymore advice on the caution would be helpful because I got some info from another part of this site but found it quite confusing.

Thanks again

Ben
North America closes down for the 3 week Christmass Hols so no one is in the offices I really cant believe you asked that
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Well its a good job I didnt ask the companies directly then otherwise I would have looked like a right idiot!
Why cant you believe I asked that? Is it really that unreasonable? I know a lot of companies over here that are closing from about the 23rd and opening again on the 5th January.
I was in America for 6 weeks over Christmas 2 years ago and as far as I know it looked like it was business as usual in most places although I didnt really go looking!
Old Sep 20th 2010, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well its a good job I didnt ask the companies directly then otherwise I would have looked like a right idiot!
Why cant you believe I asked that? Is it really that unreasonable? I know a lot of companies over here that are closing from about the 23rd and opening again on the 5th January.
I was in America for 6 weeks over Christmas 2 years ago and as far as I know it looked like it was business as usual in most places although I didnt really go looking!
Ok they may close for 2 or 3 days over Xmas