Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Eco Downturn has even halted my new position - Bummer...

Eco Downturn has even halted my new position - Bummer...

Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eco Downturn has even halted my new position - Bummer...

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
There is a lot of difference in big co's and small ones, your missing an important fact, and that my talks with them back in Nov, they asked me to work, we covered a lot of things on the phone, now I am glad he the owner called as I left my UK job, well last day was Saturday's run, now I called my UK family employer, explained and was back to work next day. Thats why I choose small co's not big guys where your just a number and not a person.

My job in Canada is still there, just will be reviewed weekly / monthly and one cant blame them for letting me know the facts, better this way then arriving there and rocking up and find, no go.

Other point to your is that I need to get my Canadian Dangerous Goods Ticket and was going to rock up sit that and once obtained start driving again, till then it was agreed that I can work in the Yard loading till obtained. Plus could ride shot-gun for a few trips to get to know the ropes..... so lot more discussed than you know.
You are not allowed to work in the yard,,,its against the rules of the LMO, and would result in deportation if CIC found out.... Whats happend to you accomodation in Canada, is that on hold till you get here What about ya UK accomodation,coz you were supossed to leaving today,did you move back in but as you say, im not privy to all the info, just what youve said on here
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Yer a nosy bugger Gremmie ......

I'm sure Skip knows what he's doing
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You are not allowed to work in the yard,,,its against the rules of the LMO, and would result in deportation if CIC found out.... Whats happend to you accomodation in Canada, is that on hold till you get here What about ya UK accomodation,coz you were supossed to leaving today,did you move back in but as you say, im not privy to all the info, just what youve said on here
I have zero to hide, so sure can explain, In Canada they (The Co) made a booking at local Self Contained Cottages for a month, they paid for it back in Nov. Their loss.

Here, we moved out when loaded container, if you know Thirsk at all, I am in a B&B well little larger in a 2 bedroom / small kitchen one, nice, and look at this saving:

No Council TAX
No TV License
No Water Bill
No Electricty Bill
No Gas Bill

Plus more.

All for £150 a week or around £600 a month - sure not what we call ideal, but furnished even Towles like a motel......but saving me a lot each week when you take into account the other non-pays.

I am earning good money here a year, (Around £35k plus extras) so saving a packet one would say.

But while I may be happy, not too impressed on the UK driving conditions and the Govt handling of affairs, plus been in the dog-house a few times with the other 1/2. Upset her now that she was keen as mustard to get back to Canada....

Last edited by bigwheels241; Feb 2nd 2009 at 10:07 pm.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kb33
Yer a nosy bugger Gremmie ......

I'm sure Skip knows what he's doing
I,m not a nosey bugger Kev ok well sometimes

But reading BW post, well its all just toooooooo far fetched
The facts dont gell together,leaving one day and starting work the next,,,Duh!! it would take him alomost 24hrs just to get there from where he lives ???...But lucky the boss calls and said wait a bit and only his OH is a tad miffed,she who was in Canada 14days ago buying house and spending the old Barclay card The job he had quit,coz he was emmigrating,is still their,,thought millions were unemployed,,but his ex employer hasnt found a replaicment, altho he gave in his notice???
Their are to many "Facts" that dont pan out,,, ashame really But i wont believe any of it till i see aphoto of him with his truck holding a current daily paper in Canada then i will humbly beg for forgiveness

Last edited by Gremmie; Feb 3rd 2009 at 2:19 pm. Reason: missed a bit
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

I,m not a nosey bugger Kev ok well sometimes

But i wont believe any of it till i see aphoto of him with his truck holding a current daily paper in Canada then i will humbly beg for forgiveness
That I will do, once I get there, you will have to BEG hard to gain my confidence in you again.

The way you ask question, which I am more than happy to answer makes one think your a copper either now or past.

Still like I said, I do and leave things to last moment, as for my UK job, remember, it is a family run business, they are farmers and have others here to fill in, Polish and English (30+) on the payroll dont know if they advertised, didnt ask (My name isnt Gremmie) all I know is that today I put in 17 hrs, (Not all driving before you act like a copper again and ask) but combination of work and now wacked which is Aussie for 4 letter ed word and off to bed.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

17 hours ??? thats half a day in Canada

And the poor lads tired , Your going to shape up before you get here Skip
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
That I will do, once I get there, you will have to BEG hard to gain my confidence in you again.

The way you ask question, which I am more than happy to answer makes one think your a copper either now or past.

Still like I said, I do and leave things to last moment, as for my UK job, remember, it is a family run business, they are farmers and have others here to fill in, Polish and English (30+) on the payroll dont know if they advertised, didnt ask (My name isnt Gremmie) all I know is that today I put in 17 hrs, (Not all driving before you act like a copper again and ask) but combination of work and now wacked which is Aussie for 4 letter ed word and off to bed.
So in other words you have no hard proof that you are coming to canada to work, just more sensless rhetoric... And no was never nor will be a cop,,,just some one that can put two and two together,, You could easily sway me the other way offcourse by telling us which company you intend driving for, then i,ll give them a quick bell, and all the doubts will be dispelled Oh yeh i forgot you are frightend some one else will snatch the job from under ya nose, even tho they cant hire at the mo due to the Eco downturn
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Why would you give his employer a quick bell?

Its none of anyones business wheather he tells you anything or not. Who cares, if the man says he has a job, then so be it?! why make a big fuss as to prove everyone wrong.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CurtNIR

Its none of anyones business wheather he tells you anything or not. Who cares, if the man says he has a job, then so be it?! why make a big fuss as to prove everyone wrong.
So if i told every one on here, id cracked the lottery and won $10,000,000 and accepted all the praise and grats.. then next week said i was broke, i think you would call me a lyer too.... So next time you ask for advice or tips regarding coming to Canada, would you not be happier knowing the info came from a reliable source ?????
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

scooby109 will become famous soon enoughscooby109 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by CurtNIR

Hello Curt

Mostly because he spend so much of his own time telling other people how bad their own decisions are and how great his own are!!!

If one is going to pontificate about the greatness of thier own "wiseness", then surely when they also make a mistake or 2 they should expect other to question the Holiness of their own perceived wisdom or advice given!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scooby109
Hello Curt

Mostly because he spend so much of his own time telling other people how bad their own decisions are and how great his own are!!!

If one is going to pontificate about the greatness of thier own "wiseness", then surely when they also make a mistake or 2 they should expect other to question the Holiness of their own perceived wisdom or advice given!!!
A rather long winded way of saying you think BW,s BSing too
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

scooby109 will become famous soon enoughscooby109 will become famous soon enough

A rather long winded way of saying you think BW,s BSing too
lol lol

I would rather say its a politer way, but I think you got the essential point!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

PMSL .. Gremmie your on form today
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:12 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a full moon or something?
Why are you giving the guy such a hard time Graham?
Sure, it seems like a short timeframe for getting out there, but he can set off 3 months early in a rowing boat if he wants to.
I know which company he's got a job at. Now I'm not going to call the company and make sure he really was offered a job, but I've no reason to think he's a liar.
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but at least give him the benefit of the doubt until you can prove one way or the other.
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by koogar
Is it a full moon or something?
Why are you giving the guy such a hard time Graham?
Sure, it seems like a short timeframe for getting out there, but he can set off 3 months early in a rowing boat if he wants to.
I know which company he's got a job at. Now I'm not going to call the company and make sure he really was offered a job, but I've no reason to think he's a liar.
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't, but at least give him the benefit of the doubt until you can prove one way or the other.
As ive said before, if he proves me wrong ill eat as much humble pie as he can dish out,,Oh and half the other peeps on here think he,s BSing, from the PMs ive recieved...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.