Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Eco Downturn has even halted my new position - Bummer...

Eco Downturn has even halted my new position - Bummer...

Old Feb 1st 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all
Default Eco Downturn has even halted my new position - Bummer...

Well, I am stuck in the UK now.

My Canadian new employer has just informed me tonight UK time that due to the conditions they have delayed my employment, they said that they have little work on right now and not sure when my new start date will be.

Typical when I sent my goods in a container too.

Oh well, looks like a little more agro on UK roads for now....

Other 1/2 is pissed right off......

Skip
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 12:03 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eco Downturn has even halted my new position - Bummer...

Originally Posted by bigwheels241

My Canadian new employer has just informed me tonight UK time that due to the conditions they have delayed my employment, they said that they have little work on right now and not sure when my new start date will be.

Skip
Tragedy... Hope it works out in the end
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Now that is bad news, but at least they haven't dragged you over there on false pretenses and have been honest with you .

I know you don't want to be in the UK right now but if it means you can still earn a wage.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:28 am
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kb33
Now that is bad news, but at least they haven't dragged you over there on false pretenses and have been honest with you .

I know you don't want to be in the UK right now but if it means you can still earn a wage.
True, they are honest enough to let me know, that I will give them a 10/10 for.

If no go in a few weeks will have to fly out get my goods we sent sorted and look at the employment section again.

Still got work here, loads of it.

Oh well, LOOK OUT UK roads - Skip is on the hop again
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

If no go in a few weeks will have to fly out get my goods we sent sorted and look at the employment section again.

there was/is a thread on the main forum that discussed "trying" to get ya goods back once sent,in short it cost a fortune and involved miles of the red stuff
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:53 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

just had a thought, where are your good/where were you moving to? i might be able to help. Drop me a pm if you need to.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

thats unfortunate but atleast they did have the balls to tell you.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Its a sign of the times we are living in. It is good you know before you moved over. Surely you will be looking at other companies now. With any luck you will be able to get out and not have to move th ISO back to the UK. I remember you were offering up space in your ISO did anyone take you up on the offer? If so what effect will that have?
Anyway sorry to hear of your misfortune and I hope it works out for you!
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gremmie
there was/is a thread on the main forum that discussed "trying" to get ya goods back once sent,in short it cost a fortune and involved miles of the red stuff
Vancouver, will arrive on the 19th Feb.

Yes did read that, and understand, been advised to make a trip out there, (Holidays due soon) and sort it out.

Yes, have one other persons things in container, but called them yesterday in Vancouver and no problems will be able to use them in my quest to sort this out....

Again there is a way to halt the red tape, and this I will understand more come end of the month.....

On the other points, today was asked by this company Iam working for here in UK to extend my hours, take on more other roles and arrange for 2 more drivers to be trained in the art of collecting our goods and delivery to supermarket chains throughout the UK / Ireland.

Money is good, conditions are what a lot would kill for, so guess when a lot are unsure of a paycheck tomorrow, I am with a family co, that flying ahead.

Had a good run today thoe, Yorkshire to Cambridge and return, snow conditions and counted around 27 cars and 2 trucks that have met their faith on the side of the A1 all one would say due to lack of adverse driving conditions.....

Just cant understand why people drive when they cant handle conditions - then again a lot in UK havnt seen this white stuff before how long would they last in Canada............
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Skip
When did you intend going any way,,coz on ya LMO it a valid contract so he has to pay you a salary any way,,id go now,set up home get ya licence etc..
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

When did you intend going any way,,coz on ya LMO it a valid contract so he has to pay you a salary any way,,id go now,set up home get ya licence etc..
Was to start today 2nd Feb 2009.

Yes thinking that and was chatting to a few friends in Canada from my last visit / working position last night and they also said that its a binding contract and I should ask / seek / or just go there, setup get exchange license done again, which I did have USA one before (1996 CDL) and used it in Canada.

Wouldnt want bitter exchange, thats not me at all, I am 1st to assit even give my right hand to another if they needed it but can use the time to seek alternative.

Guess tomorrow from 2am when I start here will be thinking whats the best.......avenues to take.....then like usual, once I have made my mind up, I just do it...
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Was to start today 2nd Feb 2009.

Yes thinking that and was chatting to a few friends in Canada from my last visit / working position last night and they also said that its a binding contract and I should ask / seek / or just go there, setup get exchange license done again, which I did have USA one before (1996 CDL) and used it in Canada.

Wouldnt want bitter exchange, thats not me at all, I am 1st to assit even give my right hand to another if they needed it but can use the time to seek alternative.

Guess tomorrow from 2am when I start here will be thinking whats the best.......avenues to take.....then like usual, once I have made my mind up, I just do it...

You were "Suposed" to start today the 2nd Feb, and he phoned you last nite to cancell when did you intend leaving to get there ??? next week... Any half normal person would have gone minimum 3 days in advance, coz you have to get NIC cards,change licences,maybe somewhere to live, all the silly things one does when emigrating And what reasone did you give the airline for the " NO show" without a valid reasone no reimbursment
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

You were "Suposed" to start today the 2nd Feb, and he phoned you last nite to cancell when did you intend leaving to get there ??? next week... Any half normal person would have gone minimum 3 days in advance, coz you have to get NIC cards,change licences,maybe somewhere to live, all the silly things one does when emigrating And what reasone did you give the airline for the " NO show" without a valid reasone no reimbursment
Yep, left this job here in UK last week but kept it open just in case, and yep was flying out Today, even got a ticket return which they in Canada agreed to pay and they have done a TT to me.

The job is for a family co in BC, not your big run of the mill co. thats the difference, plus I have worked in Canada before, know a little of whats happening.

Remember I am 1/2 Aussie, we do things at last moment

Not all have those thing you rambled off with to do, I just make my mind up - and piss off pronto, but wouldnt leave anyone in the shi.....not my style.
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yep, left this job here in UK last week but kept it open just in case, and yep was flying out Today, even got a ticket return which they in Canada agreed to pay and they have done a TT to me.

The job is for a family co in BC, not your big run of the mill co. thats the difference, plus I have worked in Canada before, know a little of whats happening.

Remember I am 1/2 Aussie, we do things at last moment

Not all have those thing you rambled off with to do, I just make my mind up - and piss off pronto, but wouldnt leave anyone in the shi.....not my style.
yeah what ever
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

yeah what ever
There is a lot of difference in big co's and small ones, your missing an important fact, and that my talks with them back in Nov, they asked me to work, we covered a lot of things on the phone, now I am glad he the owner called as I left my UK job, well last day was Saturday's run, now I called my UK family employer, explained and was back to work next day. Thats why I choose small co's not big guys where your just a number and not a person.

My job in Canada is still there, just will be reviewed weekly / monthly and one cant blame them for letting me know the facts, better this way then arriving there and rocking up and find, no go.

Other point to your is that I need to get my Canadian Dangerous Goods Ticket and was going to rock up sit that and once obtained start driving again, till then it was agreed that I can work in the Yard loading till obtained. Plus could ride shot-gun for a few trips to get to know the ropes..... so lot more discussed than you know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.