British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Driving in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/driving-canada-790146/)

dozz Mar 11th 2013 11:13 am

Driving in Canada

Hello to all Canadian trackers:thumbsup:
I am a class 1 driver with 1.5 years experience .looking to relocate to Canada from UK looking for advice,could i just come over and aplly for work permit and the rest or should i look for a job offer from here, by the way looking to move to AB Edmonton or Calgary any advice would be great thank you:thumbup:

arniedog Mar 12th 2013 9:33 am

Re: Driving in Canada

surely common sense would tell you to make enquires with trucking companies 1st before coming over :confused: im not sure of the firms in ab that give lmos, im in on. but if you look in the truck stop newspapers they are always advertising in them :cool:

dozz Mar 12th 2013 9:36 am

thank you arniedog i will take your advice:thumbsup: spoke to Westcan last night fingers crossed

Smudger75 Mar 12th 2013 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by dozz (Post 10598584)
thank you arniedog i will take your advice:thumbsup: spoke to Westcan last night fingers crossed

Who did you speak to from westcan? Because they have terminals all over western Canada Not just Alberta, I work out of Calgary!:)

dozz Mar 12th 2013 1:22 pm

i spoke to Edmonton depo,my only problem is i'v got 1.5 years experiance they ask for 3 what do you think?

Smudger75 Mar 12th 2013 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by dozz (Post 10599036)
i spoke to Edmonton depo,my only problem is i'v got 1.5 years experiance they ask for 3 what do you think?

Did they phone you or did you phone them? If they phoned you that must mean they're interested. Have you only got 1.5 years experience in total? They spend a lot of time on training now, and if you'be only got 1.5 years experience the way they work over here will come as a shock. I had 21 years under my belt and it shocked me! But saying that I wouldn't change a thing. :thumbsup:

dozz Mar 12th 2013 1:42 pm

i phoned them some time ago no answere left a voice message ,they phoned me back and sent an aplication form,is it a good firm to work for?

Smudger75 Mar 12th 2013 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by dozz (Post 10599086)
i phoned them some time ago no answere left a voice message ,they phoned me back and sent an aplication form,is it a good firm to work for?

That's a good question and you might of opened a can of worms here. I like it and they have given me all the things I have needed to get where I am so far, but you will probably get drivers replying to your post with a more negative outlook on their experience with westcan. This maybe due to thing not working out just the way they like for them. There's quite a few Brits at westcan and the majority just get on with the job and enjoy it! Just don't come over here thinking the streets are paved with gold, because they aren't you can earn good money over here but you do earn it, it is never handed to you on a plate. What sort of trucking do you do at the moment?

dozz Mar 12th 2013 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Smudger75 (Post 10599132)
That's a good question and you might of opened a can of worms here. I like it and they have given me all the things I have needed to get where I am so far, but you will probably get drivers replying to your post with a more negative outlook on their experience with westcan. This maybe due to thing not working out just the way they like for them. There's quite a few Brits at westcan and the majority just get on with the job and enjoy it! Just don't come over here thinking the streets are paved with gold, because they aren't you can earn good money over here but you do earn it, it is never handed to you on a plate. What sort of trucking do you do at the moment?

i work for Wincanton mostly containers up and down the country,i'v never been scared of hard work as this is what i allways did,hoping to live in calgary as i got 2 kids wich need a lot of activities

Smudger75 Mar 12th 2013 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by dozz (Post 10599158)
i work for Wincanton mostly containers up and down the country,i'v never been scared of hard work as this is what i allways did

I will send you a private message!