DRIVERS,TRUCKERS,PTO'S,

Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future
Default DRIVERS,TRUCKERS,PTO'S,

To all would be TRUCK DRIVERS wanting to LIVE and drive Canada & USA.

If like me you want to live in Canada and you drive for a living then you should be clear as to what you want before you commit to something as life changing as this. Be sure to do your research and if poss do a recce trip just to be sure.
You will be given information from employers that is not quite the truth but then tell me of a job in the UK where you were told one thing at the interview and eventually your doing other stuff too that was not mentioned, sure it gets to you but after all most go along with it and most call it a reasonable request of duties.
Nearly all the jobs on offer are Long Haul so DO expect to be away for the 10 to 14 days and some on a regular basis. It is not a career job it is a lifestyle job or a vocation in life which most of the European and eastern block, middle east drivers will tell you, it gets in your blood you might say.
You will have some down time out on the road ie Saturdays and Sundays as most people dont work them just the service industry so not much chance of tipping or loading unless you are lucky.
If your out on the road and a bank holiday comes along when you started your trip their is not a lot you can do so my best advice is get some beers in and relax while you can.
When you do get home to see the wife / girlfriend and children you will only get at most three days off four if your lucky and this will be un-paid.
Your wife / girlfriend will have to be one hell of a strong person in mind and in backing you at what you do and not mind you being away and must be able to get on with her life when your not their. It is their life and yours in two very different ways.
Most of the BIG companies pay by the mile (so no wheels turning no pay) and some for pick ups and deliveries, meat inspections and the like. Layovers are a different ball game as some will only pay you for waiting at your reload after 24hrs and others more than this which is unfair, other companies do offer a guaranteed mileage a day normally about 800 miles if it is not yours or their fault, works like our demurrage system, they charge the customer and pay you a small amount to compensate.
Plus points in my opinion is that you get to see loads of things on the long haul work and meet new friends, some local to you too so it is after a fashion like another family on the road. It is hard work driving the long hours but the pros often out weight the cons.
Basically you will be out on the road away from home and family, have very little time off in between, but in all you only get two days off a week in a normal home everyday driving job, anyway as most are up at the crack of dawn and home when the sun is going down or later and quality of time can be at a premium then you have to cram as much as you can in those two days or sit on your backside and do nothing. If you have three (four if you want them) days off each trip and can live on that wage then you will have only lost two days a month with the family non if you take four between trips, but you have three days to do what ever you want and not have to think about going to work.
I know i might not have covered everything but this is what it is like so you must take all the pros and cons and then decide what is best for you and your family.
If you want to be home every night and weekends and holidays and even Christmas then dont do the Long Haul it will ruin you and your relationship to a point of no return. THINK ABOUT IT !

LOAFY...
Old Aug 4th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future
Default Re: DRIVERS,TRUCKERS,PTO'S,

Loafy,
very good post,top marks!!!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

gaffer40 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by loafy

If like me you want to live in Canada and you drive for a living then you should be clear as to what you want before you commit to something as life changing as this. Be sure to do your research and if poss do a recce trip just to be sure.
You will be given information from employers that is not quite the truth but then tell me of a job in the UK where you were told one thing at the interview and eventually your doing other stuff too that was not mentioned, sure it gets to you but after all most go along with it and most call it a reasonable request of duties.
Nearly all the jobs on offer are Long Haul so DO expect to be away for the 10 to 14 days and some on a regular basis. It is not a career job it is a lifestyle job or a vocation in life which most of the European and eastern block, middle east drivers will tell you, it gets in your blood you might say.
You will have some down time out on the road ie Saturdays and Sundays as most people dont work them just the service industry so not much chance of tipping or loading unless you are lucky.
If your out on the road and a bank holiday comes along when you started your trip their is not a lot you can do so my best advice is get some beers in and relax while you can.
When you do get home to see the wife / girlfriend and children you will only get at most three days off four if your lucky and this will be un-paid.
Your wife / girlfriend will have to be one hell of a strong person in mind and in backing you at what you do and not mind you being away and must be able to get on with her life when your not their. It is their life and yours in two very different ways.
Most of the BIG companies pay by the mile (so no wheels turning no pay) and some for pick ups and deliveries, meat inspections and the like. Layovers are a different ball game as some will only pay you for waiting at your reload after 24hrs and others more than this which is unfair, other companies do offer a guaranteed mileage a day normally about 800 miles if it is not yours or their fault, works like our demurrage system, they charge the customer and pay you a small amount to compensate.
Plus points in my opinion is that you get to see loads of things on the long haul work and meet new friends, some local to you too so it is after a fashion like another family on the road. It is hard work driving the long hours but the pros often out weight the cons.
Basically you will be out on the road away from home and family, have very little time off in between, but in all you only get two days off a week in a normal home everyday driving job, anyway as most are up at the crack of dawn and home when the sun is going down or later and quality of time can be at a premium then you have to cram as much as you can in those two days or sit on your backside and do nothing. If you have three (four if you want them) days off each trip and can live on that wage then you will have only lost two days a month with the family non if you take four between trips, but you have three days to do what ever you want and not have to think about going to work.
I know i might not have covered everything but this is what it is like so you must take all the pros and cons and then decide what is best for you and your family.
If you want to be home every night and weekends and holidays and even Christmas then dont do the Long Haul it will ruin you and your relationship to a point of no return. THINK ABOUT IT !

LOAFY...
Hi Loafy. Hope you are well. I was thinking of ging to Oz, but the wife isn't so sure. I wanted the weather, the wife doesn't like it too hot. So she was talking about Canada. I have three cousins who've been out there for years. One of them is here at the moment on hol so i will see her on Tuesday and get some info. I have had class one since 1990, mostly on box and curtains, some flat with straps(no ropeing) european, uk.Everything was mainly straight forward with other people looking after you and i have no hazpak either, so i feel in some way that i am not a trucker and that i will need to get things sorted b4 i go. For the last 6 years i have been driving a wee ten tonner, 38 gross with low load trailer/also labouring for a road surfacing company. We were thinking of going to Hamilton as on e of my cousins is there, but when i don,t know. I fancy the challenge but don't want to make an arse of myself. I live in Ayr Scotland with wife and son (5). What are your intensions and how is your progress going. Sorry to ramble on hope your no fallin asleep yet. Look forward to hearing from you. regards Garry.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:37 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

LOAFY...
Well said I've quoted from the parts that are important from my side as the one who will be at home. I am aware that I will not be able to work in Canada until we apply for SINP and aware that money during that time will be tight going from a double income family to one income - but I am determined to make some kind of home during that time and a life for us both when Mal does get home. I hope that doesn't sound too mushy but it's what I have been doing for the past 32 years along with making it up to the children when their father is away for days. Hope this makes sense.

Lorna
Old Aug 4th 2007, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Well said I've quoted from the parts that are important from my side as the one who will be at home. I am aware that I will not be able to work in Canada until we apply for SINP and aware that money during that time will be tight going from a double income family to one income - but I am determined to make some kind of home during that time and a life for us both when Mal does get home. I hope that doesn't sound too mushy but it's what I have been doing for the past 32 years along with making it up to the children when their father is away for days. Hope this makes sense.

Lorna

Hi Lorna. Why won't you be able to work. What is SINP. Sorry , i am trying to do about ten different things on this computer to do with emigrating. Ma heeds buzzin. Regards Garry.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:03 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gaffer40
Hi Lorna. Why won't you be able to work. What is SINP. Sorry , i am trying to do about ten different things on this computer to do with emigrating. Ma heeds buzzin. Regards Garry.
Mal's job is on a temporary work permit for 6 months which does not include a work permit for the spouse, then we will apply for SINP - Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program under the Long Haul Truck Driver class

"Long Haul Truck Drivers
This category allows Saskatchewan trucking firms to bring workers to the province for occupations requiring a high school diploma or on-the-job training under Service Canada's Temporary Foreign Worker policy
"

We're still learning about all the other rules by searching this site and reading other peoples posts - there is a wealth of experience around here don't be afraid to ask someone will have the answer.
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by gaffer40

Hi Loafy. Hope you are well. I was thinking of ging to Oz, but the wife isn't so sure. I wanted the weather, the wife doesn't like it too hot. So she was talking about Canada. I have three cousins who've been out there for years. One of them is here at the moment on hol so i will see her on Tuesday and get some info. I have had class one since 1990, mostly on box and curtains, some flat with straps(no ropeing) european, uk.Everything was mainly straight forward with other people looking after you and i have no hazpak either, so i feel in some way that i am not a trucker and that i will need to get things sorted b4 i go. For the last 6 years i have been driving a wee ten tonner, 38 gross with low load trailer/also labouring for a road surfacing company. We were thinking of going to Hamilton as on e of my cousins is there, but when i don,t know. I fancy the challenge but don't want to make an arse of myself. I live in Ayr Scotland with wife and son (5). What are your intensions and how is your progress going. Sorry to ramble on hope your no fallin asleep yet. Look forward to hearing from you. regards Garry.
Hi Gary,
Thanks i'm great at the mo and looking forward to my new life on the road and in Canada very soon.
I think you should do as much research as possible to get a feel of what you would like but you have to be realistic about things, your lifestyle will change out there wherever that might be. Your experience of driving is important to them as employers as they need the long haul guys or those who have spent time away from home as their families will be used to that lifestyle.
Your ADR wont count for anything as they dont normally recognize them anyway so no prob their, just a class1 LGV is enough for starters. Most firms have so many drivers to a dispatcher who looks after you and the load you are hauling at that time and organises your re-load but dont expect a despatcher to look after your home life if there are probs unless you get a good one who will go out of his way to help but i expect this will only go so far. Your wife wont be able to work for at least the first six months because the rest of the family come out on your work permit normally on the provincial nominee program (PNP), this is im afraid how this works which were laid down at the beginning of the PNP between Canada and the UK.
As for not being a proper trucker because you have no hazpac (ADR) is poppycock and making an arse of yourself is only down to you.
All the best,

LOAFY...
Old Aug 5th 2007, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorna_D

Lorna
Hi Lorna_d,
I actually do feel that most of the time the wives do get a bit of a raw deal and that it is the same old cliche's about dad missing the kids grow up and there life in general, i have experienced this with my family and it's just the fact that it's the job i do and love and to be frank why should i change from that, i know this sounds selfish but i wouldn't ask my wife to change her life or job to suit mine. This is were the wife has to be a strong person and not mind having a part time hubby,lover or what ever you want to call it.
It does all make sense to me and agree that life would be a better place for the kids if he was there more often but then life is not like that is it which is a shame and would love to find a happy medium some day.

LOAFY...
Old Aug 5th 2007, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi Lorna_d,
I actually do feel that most of the time the wives do get a bit of a raw deal and that it is the same old cliche's about dad missing the kids grow up and there life in general, i have experienced this with my family and it's just the fact that it's the job i do and love and to be frank why should i change from that, i know this sounds selfish but i wouldn't ask my wife to change her life or job to suit mine. This is were the wife has to be a strong person and not mind having a part time hubby,lover or what ever you want to call it.
It does all make sense to me and agree that life would be a better place for the kids if he was there more often but then life is not like that is it which is a shame and would love to find a happy medium some day.

LOAFY...

A no what your saying loafy. I have been off the distance for 6 years now. my wife has now got used to me being home and my son is 5 today so i've always been home for him. I always said i would never go back on the distance as the companies nowadays have too much competition and are always undercutting each other and poor old driver gets the brunt of it. Well it's been like that for years, but the kraks not the same. The only difference is that your in another country and the tackle is better and the wide open roads. Phoning your mate in england and tellin him you've been to new York, cleveland, detroit, last week. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounds good to me.