British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Dream Still Alive (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/dream-still-alive-801500/)

karla03 Jun 29th 2013 3:40 pm

Dream Still Alive

Well it's been a few good years since I've been on here but some names I still remember. Well the UK is well and truly screwed and the husband and I have had enough. We want out !!!!!

The house has sold and we are saving every penny we can for a nice new start in Canada. Because its been a few years, I've lost touch with what companies are great and what companies are not so great. So any help guys would be fantastic - especially who is hiring and not.

Reading some of the treads, most of you love Canada and some don't. I'm so glad life has worked out for you all and we can't wait to start our new life.

Karla x x x :thumbsup:

christmasoompa Jun 29th 2013 7:11 pm

Re: Dream Still Alive

Originally Posted by karla03 (Post 10777972)
Well the UK is well and truly screwed and the husband and I have had enough.

Blimey, generalise much?! ;):lol: Where you live might be 'screwed', but not all of the UK is.

Sally Redux Jun 29th 2013 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10778088)
Blimey, generalise much?! ;):lol: Where you live might be 'screwed', but not all of the UK is.

:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9aThIovMA

Alfresco Jun 30th 2013 7:06 am

Good luck Karla and family. :thumbup:

grant r Jun 30th 2013 3:11 pm

where in Canada are you wanting/planning to go to karla? im thinking of Winnipeg myself and am planning a recce next year.
and christmasoompa, karla comes from Manchester and thinks the countrys screwed,:thumbdown: I come from Essex and think the same:thumbdown:
are we both wrong:unsure:

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2013 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 10779010)
and christmasoompa, karla comes from Manchester and thinks the countrys screwed,:thumbdown: I come from Essex and think the same:thumbdown:
are we both wrong:unsure:

If you think the entire UK is then yes, you're certainly generalising! I'm in the UK and think its far from 'screwed', but obviously it depends on area.

Don't get me wrong, I liked our time in Canada very much, but I can't see what it offers that the UK can't.

grant r Jun 30th 2013 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10779110)
If you think the entire UK is then yes, you're certainly generalising! I'm in the UK and think its far from 'screwed', but obviously it depends on area.

Don't get me wrong, I liked our time in Canada very much, but I can't see what it offers that the UK can't.

Obviously we have a difference of opinion, tomato tomarto, what area do you live in?

Simon Legree Jun 30th 2013 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10779110)

Don't get me wrong, I liked our time in Canada very much, but I can't see what it offers that the UK can'
t.

Now who is "generalizing" ?

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2013 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 10779119)
Obviously we have a difference of opinion, tomato tomarto, what area do you live in?

Berkshire/Hampshire border.

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 10779127)
Now who is "generalizing" ?

No, that's why I said 'I can't see' rather than 'it doesn't offer anything etc'.

I love Canada, but I see no advantage of it over the UK personally, and IMO most people could achieve the same just by moving to a different area of the UK and without spending £25k on the move! :lol:

grant r Jun 30th 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10779130)
Berkshire/Hampshire border.

No, that's why I said 'I can't see' rather than 'it doesn't offer anything etc'.

I love Canada, but I see no advantage of it over the UK personally, and IMO most people could achieve the same just by moving to a different area of the UK and without spending £25k on the move! :lol:

Ok so you live in a nice part of the UK but what part of Canada did you move to?
And did you make the move as a truck driver?
And aren't you generalising about the expense? We don't know karla's circumstances but for me personally I'll be going on my own.
Apologies to karla if we are taking over your thread :D

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2013 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 10779145)
Ok so you live in a nice part of the UK but what part of Canada did you move to?
And did you make the move as a truck driver?
And aren't you generalising about the expense? We don't know karla's circumstances but for me personally I'll be going on my own.
Apologies to karla if we are taking over your thread :D

A couple of different parts of Canada, not a truck driver.

The expense was just an average figure for most families, if it's just you then I guess £15k maybe? Still a lot more than moving to a nicer part of the UK for most though!

But as a single guy it should be great, and an adventure. Have fun!

Simon Legree Jun 30th 2013 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10779148)
A couple of different parts of Canada, not a truck driver.

The expense was just an average figure for most families, if it's just you then I guess £15k maybe? Still a lot more than moving to a nicer part of the UK for most though!

But as a single guy it should be great, and an adventure. Have fun!

So if you moved from say Toxteth to Sunningdale, Camberly or similar you could do it for less than 25,000 what with property prices and all ? Hmm.

grant r Jun 30th 2013 6:35 pm

[QUOTE=christmasoompa;10779148]A couple of different parts of Canada, not a truck driver.
But the point of this thread is that karla and her family want to make the move to be truck drivers in Canada, so if you don't know what it's like to be a truck driver in the UK (which by the way really really sucks!) you don't know if it's a good or bad thing for them to do it in Canada? :confused:

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2013 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by grant r (Post 10779160)
But the point of this thread is that karla and her family want to make the move to be truck drivers in Canada, so if you don't know what it's like to be a truck driver in the UK (which by the way really really sucks!) you don't know if it's a good or bad thing for them to do it in Canada? :confused:

:confused: I never said it was a good or bad thing? I simply disagreed with her 'the entire UK is screwed' statement!

Out of interest, why is being a truck driver in the UK so bad and how will that change by moving to Canada?

christmasoompa Jun 30th 2013 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Simon Legree (Post 10779157)
So if you moved from say Toxteth to Sunningdale, Camberly or similar you could do it for less than 25,000 what with property prices and all ? Hmm.

And if you moved from Toxteth to Vancouver?! Same thing.

Property prices vary regardless of country, certainly if the OP is in Manchester they could move somewhere cheaper both in the UK and Canada, and achieve a better life in either.

Is Camberley really expensive btw? It's always struck me as a bit if a dump, can't see why it would be! :lol: