Dream Still Alive

Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice
Default Re: Dream Still Alive

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Out of interest, why is being a truck driver in the UK so bad and how will that change by moving to Canada?
For me personally i want to drive trucks all over canada and America, get to see part of the world and getting paid to do so but I also believe canada can offer me a better quality of life to what I have here.
Plus the UK isn't what it once was and is steadily getting worse (in my opinion)
Old Jun 30th 2013, 6:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grant r
For me personally i want to drive trucks all over canada and America, get to see part of the world and getting paid to do so
Sounds good to me.

We'll have to agree to disagree with your last comment, for me the UK is fab and any negatives exist in both the UK and Canada unfortunately. But the UK has family & familiarity going for it for me.
Old Jun 30th 2013, 7:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grant r
For me personally i want to drive trucks all over canada and America, get to see part of the world and getting paid to do so but I also believe canada can offer me a better quality of life to what I have here.
Plus the UK isn't what it once was and is steadily getting worse (in my opinion)
You will have something to compare the UK with after doing this, and may find you revise your opinion.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karla03
Well it's been a few good years since I've been on here but some names I still remember. Well the UK is well and truly screwed and the husband and I have had enough. We want out !!!!!

The house has sold and we are saving every penny we can for a nice new start in Canada. Because its been a few years, I've lost touch with what companies are great and what companies are not so great. So any help guys would be fantastic - especially who is hiring and not.

Reading some of the treads, most of you love Canada and some don't. I'm so glad life has worked out for you all and we can't wait to start our new life.

Karla x x x
Said it before , you have to be the greatest non starter in history of immigrating to Canada
Old Jul 1st 2013, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

I know Gremmie. But things have totally changed for us - we have finally sold our house which was a big ball and chain around our neck. The kids are older now and are as excited as us.

I think we would prefer to stick with SK as its where we preferred. We have no ties now to the UK (apart from family that is). So basically nothing is stopping us.

Also I've lived all over the UK (you tend to do that as Military) and down south is alittle different from the North. I know some people like living in the UK but for us its taking its toll and we can't wait to leave.

I am used to Simon being away and I'm a very independent woman and I have no problems looking after myself and the kids for weeks on end - so that aspect has never bothered me. We want a different live and not to run the rat race day in day out.

Karla
Old Jul 1st 2013, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

karla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant futurekarla03 has a brilliant future

Have the rules changed regarding Truckers PNP in BC?
Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have the rules changed regarding Truckers PNP in BC?
In what way? They're now part of the PNP permanently (it was previously just under a pilot scheme), the only other change I can think of in the past couple of years is that the spouses of truck drivers can no longer get a SOWP (that was again through a pilot scheme, but it was scrapped last year).

HTH.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

When we was looking into Canada many years ago - we was told there was no way BC was even an option for truckers not sure who told me that as it was 6 years ago. I have a few friends and family members living there so it was always our first choice.

I knew the PNP was a pilot scheme so I'm glad they made it permanent.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 11:49 am
SUPER MODERATOR

When we was looking into Canada many years ago - we was told there was no way BC was even an option for truckers not sure who told me that as it was 6 years ago. I have a few friends and family members living there so it was always our first choice.
Ah, I see. Yes, many years ago it wasn't an option but luckily it is now.

Just remember though that you and any kids you have that are of working age wouldn't be able to get an open work permit there, which may affect your decision - it's particularly tough on kids if all their friends have part-time jobs and they can't earn any money! So you'd have to wait until you got PR to be able to work, unless you got a LMO/TWP in your own right.

Other provinces such as Alberta would allow you and working age children to get an open work permit, so that's something to consider.

Good luck with it.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, I see. Yes, many years ago it wasn't an option but luckily it is now.

Just remember though that you and any kids you have that are of working age wouldn't be able to get an open work permit there, which may affect your decision - it's particularly tough on kids if all their friends have part-time jobs and they can't earn any money! So you'd have to wait until you got PR to be able to work, unless you got a LMO/TWP in your own right.

Other provinces such as Alberta would allow you and working age children to get an open work permit, so that's something to consider.

Good luck with it.
My children are 12 and under - so not a problem. I've been a housewife since we came out of the Army and the only thing I've done in 3 years is start a small cake business, which just gives us some extra pocket money after the tax man has had his share.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

My children are 12 and under - so not a problem. I've been a housewife since we came out of the Army and the only thing I've done in 3 years is start a small cake business, which just gives us some extra pocket money after the tax man has had his share.
Ah, ok. Kids don't need to worry about being able to work for a while yet then!

And hopefully you could re-start the cake business once you've got PR, if you wanted to of course.

Good luck.

Old Jul 1st 2013, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah, ok. Kids don't need to worry about being able to work for a while yet then!

And hopefully you could re-start the cake business once you've got PR, if you wanted to of course.

Good luck.

Thank You very much.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Go for it Karla its now or never ! , We did it when you were thinking of coming over 6 years ago , And I still haven't been back to the UK for a visit , So that how much I miss the place !

Just got to pick the right province and company , easier said than done I know , But with some research you can do it

Your kids will have a far better future out here than the UK , Way more opportunities for everyone if you want to get out and work , Just got to get that job offer and the PR .

BTW We have sold up in Okotoks and moving out to Kamloops in 2 weeks
Which is were we wanted to go originally , But couldn't get a job offer sadly . But look at BC I know drivers do get LMO,s out there , Just not sure which companies .
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Kb33

So glad your finally getting to BC and that life has worked out so well for you all. I honestly can not blame you for not coming back to visit as the UK holds no appeal anymore for us either.

Simon and I sat down last night and did research for hours and I will be doing for the next few days. I've sent out over 30 emails, forms and attached his CV to everything I could find about Trucking Companies in BC. Hopefully I'll hear something - if not Simon could give them a call or even take a trip over.

Our life has been made a lot easier after selling the house - which has freed us in a way. We will be moving in with my parents in about 8 weeks so again that's more money saved for our new life in Canada.
Old Jul 2nd 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been in Canada 9yrs lived in sk, mb bc, and ab even went back to U.K. for 12weeks and trust me it didnt cost me 25k to come out here if it was me I would move to sk to get PR once that's done you can go anywhere you like I now live in Kimberley bc I own my own truck and love it my wife and kids love it here to it not easy but worth the trouble for sure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.