Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

double man team coming over

double man team coming over

Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road
Default Re: double man team coming over

I think Gremmie is on the money here, you need a couple of years to find out the way things work before even thinking about buying a lorry
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Chicken lights and chrome
I think Gremmie is on the money here, you need a couple of years to find out the way things work before even thinking about buying a lorry
I would be astounded if that were possible legally anyway! If so, that would be pretty terryfying for other road users, no matter how much 'experience' you have under your belt! Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it take a while to build a credit rating aswell?!
We'll soon find out anyway, flying out on the 12th!! Wooooooohoooooo!
Old Jul 24th 2012, 9:23 am
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool Re: double man team coming over

Originally Posted by berkoboy
Depending on yr province, here in Ontario a g is your car licence, you just swap it for your uk car licence. As for not having experience, when I first started at Challenger they would put two uk newbies together, that was why I found it so hard at the beginning. We both made the same mistakes!
Good luck
not making mistakes now are you mate, you know exactly how many m&ms you can eat in a day and make the bag last a week
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:36 am
Just Joined

hotelfreightliner is an unknown quantity at this point

Stay well away from H&R Trans, They treat you worse than dirt. Not joking!!
A Great company to work for is Timeline logistics in Saskatoon. They got tidy trucks, money is good, they've got plenty of work and great people to work for!!
Think they have about 25 trucks. Most of the drivers are british.
Give them a ring or apply online. Ask for Bob 'boss' or Troy 'son'.

If anyone wants a really bad experience........ go to H&R

Otherwise, give timeline Logistic's a call.... You won't be sorry
Old Jul 25th 2012, 2:28 am
Just Joined

hotelfreightliner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You 2 would be split up for sure as you have zero experience. Being an O/D here is not the same as in UK, here you are tied to a company and have to run under there licences & authorities. Forget that idea for at least 2 years until you know the ropes and are settled. OK
Learn how to walk then try to trot.
You are totally incorrect there!!!. I know a few who have done it.

Every foreign driver who comes over here to work, has no Canadian/States experience!! You learn. Whether your a single or team driver and yes Canadian companies will employ new* team drivers.

Now now Gremmie & I thought you knew all that lol
Old Jul 28th 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

schumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really niceschumachergal is just really nice

Originally Posted by kb33
1) You need a permanent Canadian address to get a Canadian licence , Plus you would have to surrender your UK licence .

2) You would need permanent residence to start your own business

3) Not much more than a single driver (certainly not double the milage rate anyway )

4) Alberta / Manitoba / SK

Sounds like you are good fodder for H&R in Lethbridge

http://www.hrtrans.com/careers-with-hr/

Good luck !
Just to add.................we did not have to surrender our UK Licences, in fact we usually use them on car rentals when we go back for hols.