Cost of life in Canada

Old Nov 16th 2011, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of life in Canada

I came to Canada to get away from EOBRs, as I see them as an invasion of my privacy. To me it's like being a criminal with an electronic tag.
But I do agree that their implimentation and an hourly pay structure would make the job better paid and safer.

I've just had a good mate jack in a job because his boss moved all his stuff into another truck without his consultation. Not a good reason to leave? But when you talk to the guy, he lists a dozen other issues and you realise it is all down to FRUSTRATION.
Probably the number one reason for driver turn-over. I've seen it so many times: Good guys, doing a good job, who dont want to leave but when so many little things go unresolved they start thinking that the job has just got to be greener somewhere else.
What's the answer to that one?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Chicken lights and chrome is on a distinguished road

I've probably had a dozen things that pissed me off at my job, but I've been here just over three years now and as the things are minor irritations really and have been spread out over my time here that ain't bad, in fact I probably contributed to half of them and on another day the things wouldn't piss me off anyway, but if I was to list them all in a moan it would seem reasonable for me to quit because of them, that's just human nature.

Although I would throw a proper tantrum if my gear was moved from my truck and somewhere in the distance, through all the dust, if you used a good pair of bino's, you may just be able to see my arse.

From my time over here I have drawn the following conclusion, Canadians will put up with a lot more crap than Brits. Now I'm generalising off course and younger Canadians won't take as much crap, that's why there's a driver shortage, no new blood coming in, I believe that the EOBR will change that, in the long run. Companies will have to get their act together and not expect that drivers get the job done regardless, many failed appointments will meen that a certain amount of leeway will have to be incorporated into the planning and the bigger firms will offer more regional positions, coupled with hourly pay, the job may, once again, become attractive to youngsters.

Meanwhile, the long haul dinosaurs, who know how to plan a trip so that they can get the big miles in and still remain within the framework of the law, will have the pick and choice of all the best jobs, EOBR's? Bring em on
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Lou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond reputeLou Skannon has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the day: every truck-driver had to join a union. Mainly due to Closed-Shop regulations at most docks and big factories. I know unions have become unfashionable due to the likes of Arthur Scargill but unions did have set precedures for all grievences; both from drivers and management.
I think unions stopped the management riding rough-shod over the drivers and this helped with driver retention.
I was with the T&GWU for most of my driving career in the UK and served as a steward. But I know little about the Teamsters here in North America; are they the answer to getting truck-driving on the road to being a worth-while and rewarding job?
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:44 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

We certainly don't want unions involved,just make a bad situation worse,the industry is already as far back in the dark ages as it is possible to get.
We have the hindsight of living with tachos and hourly pay,Canadians don't,but as had been said before,when companies see revenue and profitability being compromised by shippers and receivers inadequacies things will change pdq.
CLAC,you say tomato,I say red sauce.
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

But just think of the Fantasy Island scenario:
100% of drivers band together and list their demands.
100% of drivers withdraw their labour until their demands are met.
Within days: shops are empty, gas stations run dry, factories get no raw materials. Everthing grinds to a halt.
The government resigns.
Gremmie + Chicken lights and chrome start running the country.
All drivers demands are met and the job is a good'un. At last!
Old Nov 18th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Fantasy Island for you maybe,I'm booked on the next passage to Oz,sod the age limit we're coming in Bruce
Old Nov 19th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

I'm on Elogs this time round, and it is way easier to keep track of the time without worrying about busting your hours and being illegal... it also makes the job easier for the company not to offer you illegal runs which you might have been inclined to take in the past, with some prudent comic book re writing.
Old Nov 19th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon
Back in the day: every truck-driver had to join a union. Mainly due to Closed-Shop regulations at most docks and big factories. I know unions have become unfashionable due to the likes of Arthur Scargill but unions did have set precedures for all grievences; both from drivers and management.
I think unions stopped the management riding rough-shod over the drivers and this helped with driver retention.
I was with the T&GWU for most of my driving career in the UK and served as a steward. But I know little about the Teamsters here in North America; are they the answer to getting truck-driving on the road to being a worth-while and rewarding job?
You really need to read my column a bit more often, I dealt with this one too

The trouble with unions is a lack of passion, back in time when the unions stopped little boys going up chimneys and all that, the union leaders had a passion, now they're just another fat cat riding the gravy train

Your fantasy island scenario would work, but it would require every driver in the country to shut down, one abstainee and it wouldn't work.

At the moment the Teamsters control the LTL market, Reimer up here and YRC, UPS et all down south, they get their members decent wages, conditions and pensions, but send the companies skint in the process, look at YRC for eveidence, they just can't compete.

The same applies to the big three in Car Manufacturing, each GM vehicle costs $1500 more to make than the equivalent Toyota, both made in the USA, one by UAW members, the cheaper one not, therefore GM can't compete with Toyota.

We either all need to be in the union or just let the free market do its thing, it's all or nothing really:sunglasses:
Old Nov 19th 2011, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chicken lights and chrome
You really need to read my column a bit more often, I dealt with this one too

The trouble with unions is a lack of passion, back in time when the unions stopped little boys going up chimneys and all that, the union leaders had a passion, now they're just another fat cat riding the gravy train

Your fantasy island scenario would work, but it would require every driver in the country to shut down, one abstainee and it wouldn't work.

At the moment the Teamsters control the LTL market, Reimer up here and YRC, UPS et all down south, they get their members decent wages, conditions and pensions, but send the companies skint in the process, look at YRC for eveidence, they just can't compete.

The same applies to the big three in Car Manufacturing, each GM vehicle costs $1500 more to make than the equivalent Toyota, both made in the USA, one by UAW members, the cheaper one not, therefore GM can't compete with Toyota.

We either all need to be in the union or just let the free market do its thing, it's all or nothing really:sunglasses:
Spent my last 13 years in UK working for "unionised" companies, mainly oil trades, and would run a mile now if that was to happen again.
They were good in their time but in the end were greedy, as we were too, and killed the job
Old Nov 19th 2011, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
Spent my last 13 years in UK working for "unionised" companies, mainly oil trades, and would run a mile now if that was to happen again.
They were good in their time but in the end were greedy, as we were too, and killed the job
Now that I'd like to see
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Careful what you wish for Mark,your last comment could almost be seen as "throwing down the gauntlet".Could be the next amazing race
Old Nov 19th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
Careful what you wish for Mark,your last comment could almost be seen as "throwing down the gauntlet".Could be the next amazing race
Actually he can move pretty fast..........if there's a free pie involved
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

garvs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Canadian haulge industry is so far backwards its going to take years for any any changes to happen you will find that recruiting abroad is the easy option.The not earning if your wheels arn't moving is not acceptable,why would anyone want to go to work for free just baffles me,and until such time this changes your just going to have to put up with.
So to answer the question what can employers do
1,Pay hourly for all hours worked, if on e logs etc very easy to keep a track of drivers hours worked etc.
2,Pay good mileage and waiting time for loading ,unloading,breakdowns etc.

Simples
Old Nov 20th 2011, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by garvs11
The Canadian haulge industry is so far backwards its going to take years for any any changes to happen you will find that recruiting abroad is the easy option.The not earning if your wheels arn't moving is not acceptable,why would anyone want to go to work for free just baffles me,and until such time this changes your just going to have to put up with.
So to answer the question what can employers do
1,Pay hourly for all hours worked, if on e logs etc very easy to keep a track of drivers hours worked etc.
2,Pay good mileage and waiting time for loading ,unloading,breakdowns etc.

Simples
I get a decent mileage rate and I also get waiting time and paid resets if taken on the road, I don't know if that applies to all the drivers at my company, but I'm aware of my value and I make them aware of it too, not that I'm a primadonna, I just do my job as professionally as possible and therefore I expect to get treated accordingly.

That's simples, the trouble is far too many drivers just accept things, because that's the way it's always been.

They accept that they may have to wait around for a day because their dispatch cannot find them a load, dispatch should be doing their job properly too and having a load ready for you when you are empty, to be in a position like that is like gambling, you never know if you're going to get the miles you need to earn a living and if I'm going to gamble I want to be in a nice hotel in Las Vegas, not sitting in a truckstop.

It'll never happen though, for the most part drivers are uneducated dumbasses, just look at the people around you next time you're in a truckstop or at a loading dock. Scruffily dressed, unwashed and dumb as a box of rocks, they talk a complete load of crap, mostly moaning and lying through their teeth, it's no wonder we get treated the way we do when you look at the way drivers behave.

That's why I and many others don't have a problem, I try not to look like a truck driver, I look after my truck, inside and out, I make sure I'm on time, I notify dispatch of any delays, my paperwork is ledgible and in on time, because of this I get treated with the professional respect that I deserve.....simples
Old Nov 21st 2011, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

garvs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chicken lights and chrome
I get a decent mileage rate and I also get waiting time and paid resets if taken on the road, I don't know if that applies to all the drivers at my company, but I'm aware of my value and I make them aware of it too, not that I'm a primadonna, I just do my job as professionally as possible and therefore I expect to get treated accordingly.

That's simples, the trouble is far too many drivers just accept things, because that's the way it's always been.

They accept that they may have to wait around for a day because their dispatch cannot find them a load, dispatch should be doing their job properly too and having a load ready for you when you are empty, to be in a position like that is like gambling, you never know if you're going to get the miles you need to earn a living and if I'm going to gamble I want to be in a nice hotel in Las Vegas, not sitting in a truckstop.

It'll never happen though, for the most part drivers are uneducated dumbasses, just look at the people around you next time you're in a truckstop or at a loading dock. Scruffily dressed, unwashed and dumb as a box of rocks, they talk a complete load of crap, mostly moaning and lying through their teeth, it's no wonder we get treated the way we do when you look at the way drivers behave.

That's why I and many others don't have a problem, I try not to look like a truck driver, I look after my truck, inside and out, I make sure I'm on time, I notify dispatch of any delays, my paperwork is ledgible and in on time, because of this I get treated with the professional respect that I deserve.....simples
I really did have a little chuckle at this, so let me start at the bottom,
What does a truck driver look like ,ive worked for many hauliers including ones where shirt and tie is compulsary,out in Canada i bought all my own uniform from England as we werent provided with any, with the exception of shorts and crocs which were always part of my attire.Does this make me look like a truck driver.
I refused to run bent for the company and always let despatch know when i was going to be late which was pretty much most of the time,we had to beg for any sort of layovers this is NOT uncommon in Canada,like i said from the beginning the industry is 20 years behind Europe,i remember the way we used to be paid over here trip money etc It changed for the better i get paid every hour i attend WORK whether driving sitting around loading/unloading etc i get paid isnt that why we go to earn money.Companies need to realise that is no good one driver getting paid layovers etc as yourself and everyone else doesn't.
My findings after 18 months of long haul Canada/USA the majority of the companies will NEVER move forward the like it or lump it attitude is here to stay well for a long time anyway.
Drivers will never stick together i agree most are uneducated, call yourself professional,experienced it doesnt count for anything these days your just another bum in the seat there will always be another to jump into a shiny big truck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.